303 and Adjacent

I'm pretty much settled in to my new apartment in Seattle, and now have a bench and everything - even my first spray booth:

IMG_20220118_101441

So it's time for a triple, all associated with the 303 'Kosciuszko' Sqn in some way:

1. Arma Hobby 1/72 Hurricane Mk I, L2099, RF-O flown by Witold Lokuciewski during two of his Battle of Britain victories

2. Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Vc, AB509, JMC flown by Wing Commander Johnny Checketts of 142 Wing (303 Sqn and 402 Sqn) on D-Day

3. Arma Hobby 1/72 Mustang III, HB866, JZ flown by Jan Zumbach, a former 303 Sqn member, when he became commander of  133 Wing

IMG_20220118_101403

Some handy references:

IMG_20220118_101615

IMG_20220118_101645

Some preliminary work on the Spitfire; filled the inside of the cannon blisters with superglue as they'll need to be sanded off and replaced with narrow ones from an AZ Joy Pack Mk IX.

IMG_20220118_101125

IMG_20220118_101225

And interior paint started on the Mustang:

IMG_20220118_101043

And away we go!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

This is an excellent idea on your part: three at once!  You can use the same camo paint on at least two of the three, so you can keep this process efficient.  Looking forward to this as well.  I'd never seen the books before.  Dla naszej i waszej wolnośći!  (To our freedom and yours!)

• Like 1

What a killer start, Cookie, and a gloriously ambitious build. I fear the Airfix kit will seem pretty drab alongside the Arma ones, but I also know you usually find a way to spruce things up.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Please forgive the delay on this build, my Mom had some health issues, and I had to make a trip to New Mexico and Los Angeles to help out as best I could. She's made a remarkable turnaround, and is back home safe and sound!

Inspired by the Mighty @Procopius and his fantastic rendition of the Arma P-51B, I decided to continue with that kit first.

IMG_20220508_170016

IMG_20220508_175613

I say this every thread, but I'm just not a cockpit guy, but this kit has some amazing detail out of the box. I'm steadfast in my refusal to add PE or decals to a cockpit, and despite my best efforts at keeping it simple, the Arma cockpit includes throttles and knobs and switches of every sort in just the molded plastic. The downside is that the cockpit takes up quite a bit of time to build, and I have three more of these (and let's face it, I'm buying another when the F-6C boxing arrives) to build!

Getting the fuselage halves together is pretty complex, but it all goes together beautifully - I was truly impressed how the top of the seat perfectly meets the tip of the fuselage overhang when all is said and done:

IMG_20220509_202727

Maybe building four more won't be so difficult after all.

I painted the yellow Zinc Chromate stringers using a variation of the paint poorly then scrape off the excess with a toothpick canopy painting technique. The metallic base is Model Master Metalizer, and the YZC is Lifecolor acrylic. The metalizer bonds strongly to the plastic and the Lifecolor was easy to scrape off without harming the metal underneath.

IMG_20220509_203351

Now for a little bit of seam work.

IMG_20220509_205342

Thanks for stopping by everybody!

• Like 25

2 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Inspired by the Mighty @Procopius and his fantastic rendition of the Arma P-51B, I decided to continue with that kit first.

If by "inspired by" you mean "I immediately began doing things 200% better than him," then sure. 

For me the only way I could do the stringers was with a fine brush and a magnifier. But by gum that wheel well looks terrific.

Also...uh...eatin' a lot of French-style yogurt there, Cookie?

• Haha 10

Nice work Cookie, that's looking great B) 

16 minutes ago, Procopius said:

It's normally considered unacceptable to have jars of Oui on your workbench :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Haha 12

Glad to see you back at this, Cookie - and more importantly. that your mom has recovered! 

Cockpit and wheels well looking ace! :clap: :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good news about mom Cookie, oh so nice work inside the cockpit and wheel wells.

You pair* really didn't have to convince me about 303 sqn after watching 'Hurricane' again, that movie had already convinced me a Hurricane is in my future/present and there is still  that Airfix P-51B lurking in SR2.

I watch whilst taking in techniques avidly.

*PC and yourself always make an impact

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2022 at 9:48 PM, Procopius said:

If by "inspired by" you mean "I immediately began doing things 200% better than him," then sure. 

You can't fool me PC, your Mustang turned out amazing, and there's no way I could have constructed your current 190's as well as you have (even though you are not modeling them with cannon fire holes and fuel tanks ablaze).

On 5/9/2022 at 9:48 PM, Procopius said:

On 5/9/2022 at 10:06 PM, Stew Dapple said:

It's normally considered unacceptable to have jars of Oui on your workbench :D 

Well if the moment arrives, it's better to have the jars available than to not, Stew!

One Oui jar is dirty paint water for the initial dip for cleaning brushes and for wetting sanding sticks, the second jar is clean water for a second brush cleaning and to wipe down the model after sanding, and the third is a tiny rubbish bin (but it seems gigantic to any 1/72 scale personnel nearby). I hope that I don't find any more uses for the jars, because then I'd have to eat more yogurt.

On 5/9/2022 at 11:39 PM, giemme said:

Glad to see you back at this, Cookie - and more importantly. that your mom has recovered! 

Thanks Giorgio, it's great to be back at the bench.

On 5/9/2022 at 11:51 PM, perdu said:

Good news about mom Cookie, oh so nice work inside the cockpit and wheel wells.

Thank you BIll! You have inspired me to begin scouting for space to create an SR2 in my tiny apartment.

On 5/11/2022 at 11:45 AM, rob85 said:

Good to hear your mum is on the mend, hope she’s ok! 

the p51 is looking superb, you are nailing it as ever. 

good to see you back at it.

Rob

Thanks Rob!

I started puttying the wings with Perfect Plastic Putty:

IMG_20220514_152034

Then slathered on a few helpings of acrylic paint, to be sand (hopefully) smooth when it dries:

IMG_20220514_154847
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

and there's no way I could have constructed your current 190's as well as you have

In the sense that you don't build Axis aircraft, this is true in a very technical sense.

• Haha 9

You and Mr P are now my Top Tip Twins, (I was going down the Top Trump Tipsters but thought better of it)

Box on

Strickers

• Haha 3

Well, sometimes you just get on a roll:

IMG_20220515_132838

Tamiya NATO black for 'primer', and some Tamiya flat white for the stripes.

IMG_20220515_141921

Ugh, too much overspray.

Underside Medium Sea grey painted with Mission Models.

IMG_20220515_162608

Then back to trusty Vallejo for the Ocean grey on the topsides.

IMG_20220515_174222

Just letting my luck roll now, and see if I can freehand the Dark green as well.

IMG_20220515_181015

I'll take it, but don't look too close!

Masking off:

IMG_20220515_182330

IMG_20220515_182346

IMG_20220515_182612

Plenty of cleanup to do, but I'm happy to have something that looks like a Mustang!

• Like 20