RFI: Hobby2000 1/48 Ar234B-2 Arado Blitz

Greetings Friends!  Here is my latest build just finished, an excellent Hobby2000 kit which used Hasegawa Plastic, great decals, masks and color drawings.  I did use a stew of decals including decal scheme from an old Eagle Strike Ar234 Sheet, and added Peddinghaus decal stencils and used kit Insignia decals.  The adds to this kit were the excellent Eduard 'Look' Instrument panel and resin wheel kit.  I also used a Hasegawa German Pilot from their WW2 Weapons and figures kit!  This pilot assembled and fit wonderfully in the AR234!  Minor trimming of bombsite and he looks great in the cockpit!  The Paint is Gunsie Mr Color RLM 81/82/76.  The Clear is Tamiya Semi Gloss.

I had to paint the canopy rivets with a toothpick sharpened to a point.  They look good to the bare eye, but zooming in with camera phone shows the painting challenge.  I may still just overpaint the canopy frames black.  Or someday get custom rivet decals made.  What do you guys think of the canopy or other tips you can give?  The decal rivets I had handy did not match the framing rivets in spacing so I tried toothpick!  Let me know what you think...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 29

Just a tip... if you need to paint small circular dots, these "nail dotting" tools do the trick and are cheap to boot!

51828716328_902bc778e0_c.jpg 

They may not be small enough for your rivets, but then again, I've made some pretty small dots using them.

(p.s. they also work great for burnishing down the edges of masking tape, to prevent paint from bleeding under the tape)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Just a tip... if you need to paint small circular dots, these "nail dotting" tools do the trick and are cheap to boot!

51828716328_902bc778e0_c.jpg 

They may not be small enough for your rivets, but then again, I've made some pretty small dots using them.

(p.s. they also work great for burnishing down the edges of masking tape, to prevent paint from bleeding under the tape)

Great tip!  Thanks!  I will see if I can find these...  My problem was getting a uniform dot.  I have steady hands and can get this on the target, the toothpic just would not transfer paint uniformly!  Thanks for the idea, just what I needed help with!

12 minutes ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Great tip!  Thanks!  I will see if I can find these...  My problem was getting a uniform dot.  I have steady hands and can get this on the target, the toothpic just would not transfer paint uniformly!  Thanks for the idea, just what I needed help with!

I just ordered a set of these and will try this out!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, europapete said:

You have done a great job. I believe either Archer Fine Transferes or HGW do silver rivets in various sizes. 

Cool...  i will try them if the dot tool fails!

1 hour ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

This looks fantastic. I like the colours you used and the bags that go in to the engines to stop crap getting in are a lovely touch! 

Impressed! 

Regards, Andy

Hi Andy...  those bag looking things (if I understand what you mean) are the parachutes for the RATO (rocket assisted takeoff) units that are installed at the front and strapped in...  this parachute deploys automatically when the RATO units are jettisoned...

• Thanks 1

Ah! I understand now. Pretty cool! I'm leaning something new again. Thank you for explaining.im a bit tired and should have looked at your pics a little more carefully. The engines are there in addition! LOLIt must have been a wild , fast and hairy take off for the pilots with those huge fireworks propelling them down the runway!

Great model indeed! 

Cheers, Andy

9 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Ah! I understand now. Pretty cool! I'm leaning something new again. Thank you for explaining.im a bit tired and should have looked at your pics a little more carefully. The engines are there in addition! LOLIt must have been a wild , fast and hairy take off for the pilots with those huge fireworks propelling them down the runway!

Great model indeed! 

Cheers, Andy

As seen in the video below, at about 6:30 minutes in:

1 hour ago, europapete said:

You have done a great job. I believe either Archer Fine Transferes or HGW do silver rivets in various sizes. 

I just ordered some Archer rivet decals...  thanks for the tip!

1 hour ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Great model indeed! 

Cheers, Andy

Cheers Andy!  

2 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Very nice. I have the old (shudder) Hobbycraft kit at the very bottom of the todo pile. For small dots I use a push tack, dot...reload....another dot....reload

ook-thumb-tacks-10007-64_600.jpg

Hey Fubar...  from what I hear, you will poke yourself with those pushpins if you build that hobbycraft ar234...  hasegawa is a nice kit

• Haha 1