Focke Wulf Ta152H 'Red 2'

I last built one of these, from the old Italeri kit, about 18 months ago.  However, I was inspired to build another one after reading Axel Urbanke's excellent article on Ta152 operations in a recent edition of 'Luftwaffe in Focus', which also throws some more light on the tactical numbers and colours used by the various staffeln and stabsschwarm that operated the Ta152 within JG 301. 

Anyway, this is 'red 2' of 10. staffel, III/JG 301, built from the Trimaster offering of this kit.  Didn't seem to go together as well as the Italeri offering, but that might just be me.  Painted mostly with a mixture of Vallejo and Mig acrylics.  Hope you like it :) 

A0gwVAv.jpg

TC3iWqD.jpg

cqiOzzH.jpg

7LpqKrs.jpg

QCvG5Cu.jpg

3ezbPpW.jpg

DtIozHl.jpg

xSuh04Y.jpg

Edited to add a few more pics in different lighting.  I really must sort out my photography skills (or lack of them)...

Xsscydb.jpg

RV84AQA.jpg

2K4w874.jpg

L5z86ML.jpg

• Like 28

Looks great!  I like the RED code...  is that authentic?  Do you know if this machine was and H-0 or H-1?  This is a lovely scheme with red code!  I am looking for more Ta152H-1 schemes.  Thanks for help and great job on this model!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Looks great!  I like the RED code...  is that authentic?  Do you know if this machine was and H-0 or H-1?  This is a lovely scheme with red code!  I am looking for more Ta152H-1 schemes.  Thanks for help and great job on this model!

Thanks all for the comments :) 

Bob - Urbanke's research (well worth reading, by the way) suggests that 'red 2' is authentic (along with a number of other different tactical codes) and points to Ta152s being assigned to a number of units within III/JG301, each with their own tactical code colours, as well as the more well-known green codes of JG301's Geschwaderstab.  It's not known if it was an H or an H-1, as far as I can tell.

1 hour ago, Werdna said:

Thanks all for the comments :) 

Bob - Urbanke's research (well worth reading, by the way) suggests that 'red 2' is authentic (along with a number of other different tactical codes) and points to Ta152s being assigned to a number of units within III/JG301, each with their own tactical code colours, as well as the more well-known green codes of JG301's Geschwaderstab.  It's not known if it was an H or an H-1, as far as I can tell.

Hi Werdna-  I will try and find that.  Unless we get a good underwing photo, it's impossible to tell them apart H-0 vs. H-1.  The Aoshima 1/72 Ta152H kits have different kit parts based on H-0 vs. H-1, but in 1/48, every kit is an H-1.  I am not good at scribing so I am looking for H-1 schemes!

Thanks and it looks great with Red codes...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Hi Werdna-  I will try and find that.  Unless we get a good underwing photo, it's impossible to tell them apart H-0 vs. H-1.  The Aoshima 1/72 Ta152H kits have different kit parts based on H-0 vs. H-1, but in 1/48, every kit is an H-1.  I am not good at scribing so I am looking for H-1 schemes!

Thanks and it looks great with Red codes...

Thanks Bob.  However, I doubt if we will ever find out if these aircraft were H-0 or H-1.  Most of Urbanke's research was gleaned from various JG301 logbooks, where the tactical numbers were logged, but often without a colour reference or WNr.  I doubt if any confirmation of sub-type will ever be known.  The way I see it, there's a 50% chance it's either one - or the other ;) 

Most Beautiful ! Tempting!

but 

Do you have an opportunity to use a long focal length (50mm to 100mm) ? There are so many wonderful models which deserve to be portraid in another way than just with a mobile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Hi again Werdna...  just love this Ta152...  what colors did you use?  Is that a greener version of rlm81 and 82, or is that rlm83 and 82?  Or standard 81 and 82?

Thanks...

Thanks Bob :)152s were reportedly painted in the late war green combo of 81 and 82 over 76.  I used Vallejo camo dark green for the 81 and Mig Ammo's RLM82 both out of the bottle.  I mixed a bit of pale grey in with the RLM76, just to take the edge off the blue.  HTH :)

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ABeck said:

Most Beautiful ! Tempting!

but 

Do you have an opportunity to use a long focal length (50mm to 100mm) ? There are so many wonderful models which deserve to be portraid in another way than just with a mobile.

Thanks :)I do have my daughter's old Canon DSLR, but having tried it, the results have not been appreciably better than with my mobile.  I think the main issue is lighting.....or maybe lack of it.  I'll need to do some more work on that, I think..

31 minutes ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Hey Werdna...  which luftwaffe im focus had the Ta152 article?  I ordered a few, but want to get the one you spoke of...  thanks

Hi Bob - issue #29 is the one you need :) 

That's a really nice job. Quality painting and weathering work. I struggle with the photography side of posting as well, I only have the phone to use. I try and take my photos in full daylight in my study/small bedroom which has good light in the early afternoon, otherwise I'm stuffed trying to get it right, it's the best I can do with my (lack of) equipment.

• Like 1