Modelsvit/Amigo/Vespa Su-22M2K (S-32M2K "Fitter-F") in 1/72 - 07sep23 Yes, she is progressing! ;)

On 11/11/2022 at 3:00 PM, Hook said:

Following with interest!

Cheers,

Andre

And you will be very welcome, Andre. I’m hoping the kit will be a good build despite all the necessary chopping about. The Vespa resin for the Tumansky resin looks good. I am debating in my mind whether to wait for a Vespa nose set or to use the larger nose section from a Mistercraft kit. I need to compare the latter with 1/72 drawings. My chosen subject machine has a few sensors that weren’t on other Peruvian Fitter-Fs so that should add something different as well as the MDB3 MERs ;). 

Martin

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, I continue to wrestle with the modelling demons in my head that keep saying "Fitter!, Fitter!, Fitter!" and so to appease them to some degree I am posting a small milestone in this project. This is the arrival today of the Latin Wings 4 book "Su-22 Fitter" by Amaru Tincopa (@AmaruTG). It covers both variants when in service with the Fuerza Aerea Del Peru. Who knows, it may well be the incentive I need to break plastic on this one ;). In an ideal world, though, I'd like to understand Vespa's position on a nose conversion. My current option is to use a Mistercraft part, which isnt too bad, actually. I still need to match it against a scale drawing, though!

FAP1

Martin

• Like 7

20 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Who knows, it may well be the incentive I need to break plastic on this one ;)

Well, I took the plunge! I had a short time available and so I thought I'd take a closer look at the nose of this machine versus the Modelsvit kit. So, with the fuselage halves separated as well as the extended nose from the Mistercraft, I set about merging the two as a dry fit to see where the differences really lie. My impression had been that the long nose was a different basic shape and significantly longer. However, I seem to have disproved that, with the original nose/intake area matching the contrours of the longer version. It seems that it just needs a wide intake ring. I reckon I could get that by cutting back the Mistercraft parts. I would also need to get the sensor separated from that same part too but it shouldn't be beyond my meagre abilities. See what you think - I'd value thoughts from the collective :)

FAP3

FAP4

FAP5

FAP6

Remember it is a loose dry fit. The diameter of the fuselage seems to match at the break point. Note, though, that someone at either Mistercraft or Modelsvit got the nosewheel void in the wrong place! My alternative to adding just a longer intake ring would be to remove the corresponding nose on the Modelsvit. The advantage then is the detail (such as it is) as well as having the sensor etc all in the correct places without butchery. I would need to cut out the coaming area but that wouldn't pose any problem.  The leading edge of the Mistercraft part would neeed a little sanding to get a better thin edge, but that is all. 

Back soon with a look at the back end!

Martin 

• Like 4

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Modelsvit/Mistercraft/Vespa Su-22 (S-32M2K "Fitter-F") in 1/72 - 30nov22 a look at that nose!

Just to wrap up today's activities, a drawing to show the various sources that will comprise this build:

This is the Su-22M2K:

FAP7

In addition there will be resin tanks, MERs, cockpit and seat, wheels, etc.

Martin

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Nice! You may already know this, but the nose of the Su-17M-2 / Su-20M/Su-22 - the variants with the Doppler housing, Fitters are almost as confusing as Bf 109's! - was drooped compared to the Su-17M / Su-20 versions, with the intake lower to the ground.

Cheers,

Andre

55 minutes ago, Hook said:

was drooped compared to the Su-17M / Su-20 versions, with the intake lower to the ground.

Hi Andre, to be honest, no. I hadn’t and haven’t seen this in any of my references. The drawing above is labelled a S-32M2K. Do you have example photos please so that I understand what you mean? Thanks a lot. 

Martin

28 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Andre, to be honest, no. I hadn’t and haven’t seen this in any of my references. The drawing above is labelled a S-32M2K. Do you have example photos please so that I understand what you mean? Thanks a lot. 

I don't have any photo's from the same angle to show the slight droop, but it is mentioned in the Yefim Gordon / Sergey and Dmitriy Komissarov tome on the Fitter. 

When I compare the seperate noses in my MasterCraft knockoff of the Pantera Su-20 kit, the one with the doppler housing sits at an angle compared with the Fitter-C style front end, with the intake lower. HTH!

Cheers,

Andre

15 minutes ago, Hook said:

I don't have any photo's from the same angle to show the slight droop, but it is mentioned in the Yefim Gordon / Sergey and Dmitriy Komissarov tome on the Fitter. 

Where is it mentioned in that book, Andre. It’s a big one so it will save me reading it for the next month! ;) Thanks mate.

Martin

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Where is it mentioned in that book, Andre. It’s a big one so it will save me reading it for the next month! ;) Thanks mate.

Martin

@Hook Andre, I may have confused things by starting out with a Polish build. What I am now building is a Su-22M2K (S-32M2K) Fitter-F, known by the Peruvians locally as a Su-22A. Like this:

F2D9546D-C58B-4CAF-9F4B-F8E6ECF0B5BB

Credit: public domain

To do this, apart from the Tumansky rear end I will use the longer, drooped, Doppler-equipped nose from a Mistercraft kit. It has this nose as a spare in all their kits. Am I on the right track?

Also, I need to confirm the AAMs these carried. Photos show then carrying “sidewinder-like” missiles on the inner pylons. I’m no missile expert but guess they might be French or Israeli. The latter did a lot of overhaul and update work on these aircraft. Any ideas?

30F24935-5115-4297-A32B-2490BFD0A84A

Martin

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Also, I need to confirm the AAMs these carried. Photos show then carrying “sidewinder-like” missiles on the inner pylons. I’m no missile expert but guess they might be French or Israeli. The latter did a lot of overhaul and update work on these aircraft. Any ideas?

Peru has Atoll missiles, so there's a high likelihood that's what you're looking at.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Peru has Atoll missiles, so there's a high likelihood that's what you're looking at.

Thanks Bill. In fact I just landed on a great website covering Peruvian Fitters and it quotes “Advanced Atolls”. I will have to go on a search :)

11 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks Bill. In fact I just landed on a great website covering Peruvian Fitters and it quotes “Advanced Atolls”. I will have to go on a search :)

K-13M's. These are the later IR version, with a black nose and forward fins. Eduards 1/72nd MiG-21 has a pair of these and the associated BD3-60-21D rails. 

HTH,

Andre

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hook said:

These are the later IR version, with a black nose and forward fins

Hi Andre, the photo above and other photos show red rounded nose and white forward fins 🤔

25 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Andre, the photo above and other photos show red rounded nose and white forward fins 🤔

Ah! These are your default R-3 Soviet AIM-9B copies, then. The Su-22 Fitter-F was capable of the K-13, there are shots of Lybian #5814 carrying them on the inner wings.

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

The red you see is, I believe, a protective cover for the IR seeker optics. With the cover removed the optical window on front of the missile appears black. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hook said:

Ah! These are your default R-3 Soviet AIM-9B copies, then. The Su-22 Fitter-F was capable of the K-13, there are shots of Lybian #5814 carrying them on the inner wings.

Cheers,

Andre

Excellent. Thanks as always, Andre. Here they are on another airframe.

661F78FD-C88D-4813-9B8F-8EE111D0161F

The next question is where I can source these ;)

Martin

• Like 2

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Modelsvit/Mistercraft/Vespa Su-22M (S-32M2K "Fitter-F") in 1/72 - 30nov22 a look at that nose!
17 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Are these what you are looking for Martin? :- https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ED672104?result-token=VgMUE

Thanks, Mark. I just need to check the spares box. I have loads of Eduard MiG-21 bits. Maybe?

4 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Another interesting build Martin !!

I'll follow if you don't mind it !!

Sincerely.

CC

And you are very welcome, mate :)

Martin

• Thanks 1