Modelsvit/Amigo/Vespa Su-22M2K (S-32M2K "Fitter-F") in 1/72 - 07sep23 Yes, she is progressing! ;)

For context see the 8th post below and ignore the Polish references :)

Hi all, 

This week I am also launching my slow build of a Polish Su-20 '6252'. The kit will be Modelsvit with a supporting cast from the Mistercraft kit, which will provide the serial number and unit badges. The kit is this:

su20c

while the Mistercraft is this:

su20b

The Mistercraft serial, badges, script decals I will use - assuming they stay in one piece when I get them close to water - are these:

su20d

In addition I will use a little aftermarket in the form of 1) tanks, 2) a Su-22 pitot set (assuming it is compatible) and possibly a Su-22 cockpit set if it matches the Su-20 in any way. If not I will keep it for my Su-17 :). The latter might not give the right detail but I will try.

su20e

My references will be these plus - of course - the internet :)

su20a

So, a placeholder, and a build I will start soon :)

Martin

• Like 13

It’s good to see you all coming along with me on this build Bill @billn53, Mike @72modeler and Dave @mil 24. As I have said, it will be a slower build while my other lurkers get attention ;)

I now have my paints order for this build in transit so everything is in place 🤞

Martin 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, and particularly Bill, Mike and Dave @billn53 @72modeler @mil 24. This one is going to be a much longer thread than I originally expected as my current RF-84F build and research has piqued my thoughts on F-84Fs, which I am going take on before the Su-20. Please be patient with me as you so often are ;). Thanks.

Martin

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

From here on I am planning a Su-22M2K Fitter-F and not a Su-20 Fitter-C! The Mistercraft kit, which regardless what the intended model is, has two nose options - long and short. This means the Modelsvit will need to be converted as well as adding the Tumansky rear end,

——————————————————————

I’ve asked Mike to unhide this thread as I want to finally get it underway. It won’t be as planned latterly and will take a while as I have to get my Starfighter Fest off the blocks too.

I will write up more in the next couple of days.

Martin

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Peruvian Su-22 (S-32M2K, NATO "Fitter-F") - Modelsvit/Mistercraft 1/72
On 11/3/2022 at 12:57 AM, opus999 said:

Hey nice! Another Fitter!  I bet it will be a much better kit than the Hobbycraft.... :P

On 11/3/2022 at 6:54 AM, flashlight said:

Hope you don't mind, if I follow along, this is going to be very interesting!

Everyone is welcome, of course. Be patient with me, though, as I am slow due to other pulls on my time. I have two builds to complete and then, after kicking off my Starfighter Fest, I'll start thinking about this one. I have the parts I need, I believe. So, an amalgamation of the Modelsvit with the Mistercraft nose intake plus the Vespa Models Tumansky conversion, some resin tanks, cockpit and intake set, etc. There will be a lot of butchery!!!! ;) For the decals I will examine the Peru set I have for the Su-22M3 and either use some of that or get a new set drawn up and printed by Arctic Decals. I had considered the Vespa set that is due out this year but looking at the 1/48 sets, upon which I guess the 1/72s will be based, I am not so sure now. I am still thinking that one through.  

Back soon, but in the meantime I'd love to receive thoughts and guidance from Sukhoi experts. 

Oh, and one day I would still like to do the Polish machine ;)

Martin

Edit: While looking at a number of photos of these machines in Peruvian service I see that there was a lot of variation in sensor/antenna/chaff dispenser fit. Before getting too much in to it I will focus on a particular serial number and work to that. I do know, though, it will be in the later green/grey/Pale Blue Grey scheme.

• Like 4

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Peruvian Su-22 (S-32M2K "Fitter-F") - Modelsvit/Mistercraft/Vespa 1/72

Oh dear, the excitement levels are rising and I feel the urge to get started! I must hold on a short while though until I get the first F-104 started :). I have, however, now decided on the target machine for the build. It will be ‘159’ as shown here: https://www.airliners.net/photo/Peru-Air-Force/Sukhoi-Su-22M2/6239311. I will start to get paints together now as well as working out what decals I need.

Martin

• Like 3

That's going to look fantastic!  I've been using the pictures of Peruvian Fitters on Airliners.net to figure out some of the details on my build.  Since I can't find pictures of Afghan Fitters.  Can't wait to see how this progresses!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I have, however, now decided on the target machine for the build. It will be ‘159’ as shown here: https://www.airliners.net/photo/Peru-Air-Force/Sukhoi-Su-22M2/6239311. I will start to get paints together now as well as working out what decals I need.

Better get some chipping and weathering materials together, too. Although not excessive, your selected airframe has obviously seen some service. 

• Like 1

Actually, Bill, I think she was more dusty than worn. I have asked Chris Lofting, who took the excellent photos of these machines, whether they were still active at the time of the photos. I have a feeling they were and in that case she will get a panel wash of sand and some light wear on prominent features by using a silver pencil. If you look closely the paint was pretty much intact.

Martin

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 10:52 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Actually, Bill, I think she was more dusty than worn. I have asked Chris Lofting, who took the excellent photos of these machines, whether they were still active at the time of the photos. I have a feeling they were and in that case she will get a panel wash of sand and some light wear on prominent features by using a silver pencil. If you look closely the paint was pretty much intact.

Martin

It seems that the machines in these photos and those of the Su-22M-3s and Frogfoots were withdrawn from use. Nevertheless I think I will be build a slightly dusty machine ;)

Martin

• Like 2

Hello

A couple of good references for Peruvian Fitters: Latin Wings 4, from Jorge Nuñez Padin and yours truly. Also Air Wars between Ecuador and Perú 2 & 3 have nice pictures and colour profiles of operational FAP Fitters.

Amaru

8 hours ago, AmaruTG said:

Hello

A couple of good references for Peruvian Fitters: Latin Wings 4, from Jorge Nuñez Padin and yours truly. Also Air Wars between Ecuador and Perú 2 & 3 have nice pictures and colour profiles of operational FAP Fitters.

Amaru

Thanks Amaru. Now I know that you’ll be watching I will have to get it right ;). Sadly, I can’t find a copy of the Latin Wings 4 book apart from an expensive copy (inc. mailing) listed by Aviation Megastore. :(.

Martin

13 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks Amaru. Now I know that you’ll be watching I will have to get it right ;). Sadly, I can’t find a copy of the Latin Wings 4 book apart from an expensive copy (inc. mailing) listed by Aviation Megastore. :(.

Martin

I might be able to find a few copies from Jorge Nuñez Padín, but is kinda long shot. Have you tried Ebay?

Regards

Amaru

On 11/3/2022 at 1:57 AM, opus999 said:

Hey nice! Another Fitter!  I bet it will be a much better kit than the Hobbycraft.... :P

The Starfix Bf 109 is a better kit than the HC Fitter. ;)

Following with interest!

Cheers,

Andre