Takom 1/144, MD-160 Lun-class Ekranoplan

Now for something a little different...

Takoms Lun Class Ekranoplan, being an armour modeller this is just my thing, :hmmm: part boat, part aeroplane.

I believe technically it's classed as a boat however it flies, just, 16ft above the water. Impressive enough but this thing does 340mph at a weight 380 tons, 16ft above the water. That to me sounds like an interesting day at the office....

Crew of 11 and can operate for 5days without resupply. 

It's role was anti shipping and for this it carried six Moskit guided missiles.

Only one example was produced, another was planned and started but never completed, this operated in the Caspian sea from 1987 until the mid 90s.

(Revell produced another Ekranoplan the A90 this I believe has been re-released by Zvezda)spacer.png

Hope to start on this as soon as possible. 🤞

Thanks for looking 

Darryl 

• Like 15

With respect, James @81-er the Lun was not the Caspian Sea Monster, that name was applied to the KM ekranoplan; at 90 metres long, it was discovered by US spy satellite and thusly named.

The Lun was a mere 77 metres and is, I believe, still battering itself to death on the Caspian coastline after breaking its tow on its way to a museum.

Hopefully ........it's been secured and safe by now.

Rog

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 81-er said:

I'll follow this one with interest, I've always liked the Caspian Sea Monster

James

12 hours ago, roginoz said:

With respect, James @81-er the Lun was not the Caspian Sea Monster, that name was applied to the KM ekranoplan; at 90 metres long, it was discovered by US spy satellite and thusly named.

The Lun was a mere 77 metres and is, I believe, still battering itself to death on the Caspian coastline after breaking its tow on its way to a museum.

Hopefully ........it's been secured and safe by now.

Rog

Thanks James, I know next to nothing about the Ekranoplan but it just looked so interesting and being a Takom kit hopefully it'll be a pretty trouble free build. 🤞

Now the KM would be impressive, make a nice companion piece to the other two!

Unfortunately it's at the bottom of the Caspian Sea now.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Col. said:

Delighted to see you going with this one for the GB Darryl :speak_cool:

Thanks Col, the kit arrived last week and this looked like the ideal excuse to jump straight on it! :like:

I love these things, they're so weird and really up my alley!

I came very close to buying one at a recent club meet..........your build may tip me over the edge!:D

Good luck with here

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

I love these things, they're so weird and really up my alley!

I came very close to buying one at a recent club meet..........your build may tip me over the edge!:D

Good luck with here

Thanks Rich, it's miles away from my usual alley (armour) but....it just had a certain appeal! 

Sure it'll make a nice change from track links, multiple wheels and assorted stowage.

Just need Takom to do it's big brother...:winkgrin:

Darryl 

21 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

While I'm excited to see a build of the Lun-class I'm wondering if an anti-ship boat/plane/thing fits into a ground attack themed GB. 🤔 

The rules mention ships so formally "yes" 

4 hours ago, Mig Eater said:

While I'm excited to see a build of the Lun-class I'm wondering if an anti-ship boat/plane/thing fits into a ground attack themed GB. 🤔 

3 hours ago, Pin said:

The rules mention ships so formally "yes" 

Thanks 

I did check with Col too btw:frantic:

If one of those Moskit missles comes ashore its bound to leave a smoking hole somewhere....:whistle:

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If Col said it was ok then just ignore me then 😅 The scope of this GB seems to have grown so large that that it can be a bit difficult to tell what is acceptable or not. 

Well looking forward to seeing how the Lun goes together.

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Mig Eater said:

If Col said it was ok then just ignore me then 😅 The scope of this GB seems to have grown so large that that it can be a bit difficult to tell what is acceptable or not. 

Well looking forward to seeing how the Lun goes together.

5 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Love Ekranoplans! I'll be following this

Thanks chaps, looking forward to getting into this.

Really should try and finish the half dozen kits I've on the go already but where's the fun in that!!

Cheers

Darryl 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

And off we go!

First impressions....surprisingly long!

First job, paint cockpit/bridge. As I guess very little will be visible once all built up I've just sprayed everything black (remember if doing this mask off the fuselage mating surfaces). Takom have supplied a pretty well detailed cockpit particularly considering the scale. To my unacquainted eye it looks perhaps a touch oversized but I doubt it'll matter.

spacer.png

A variety of clear parts need fitting prior to fuselage/hull assembly.

Once cockpit painted, about 30sec it was mounted in the forward fuselage and both halves closed up.

At this stage I was struck by the weight of the plastic and the substantial nature of the fuselage halves :like:

Prior to adding the rear fuselage I attended to the seem lines, cleaned up with medium and then fine grade sanding stick and rescribed any panel lines I'd sanded away. 

I've also drilled out the machine gun barrels.

spacer.png

Rear fuselage halves added, again pretty good fit, not perfect but good enough.

Note the one major gap in the lower hull.

spacer.png

And that gets us too....

spacer.png

To give an idea of size....

spacer.png

Fin assembled along with tailplanes too.

spacer.png

Mixed feelings, it goes together really quickly and without much fuss, great!:frantic:

However for the price, there's more parts to an M4 running gear, at a rough quick count about 60 parts. 

Better get some paint ordered then.

Thanks for looking in!

Darryl 

• Like 11

Dang, that is a beast! The 1/144 A-90 is one of the largest 1/144 in my display case--this dwarfs it! 

At least the wingspan is relatively small! Looking forward to seething this come together. :popcorn:

I get your comment on price. Would like this, but not enough to overcome cost and stack growth resistance...

• Thanks 1

Great progress Darryl and using the International Standard Unit of Measurement beer bottle goes to illustrate just how big this model will be!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Dang, that is a beast! The 1/144 A-90 is one of the largest 1/144 in my display case--this dwarfs it! 

At least the wingspan is relatively small! Looking forward to seething this come together. :popcorn:

I get your comment on price. Would like this, but not enough to overcome cost and stack growth resistance...

I've absolutely no idea what I'll do with it once finished,  all my cabinets are really suited to armour or small (ish) aeroplanes...

It's not a real criticism as such of the price, nobody forced me to buy it, :fight:. More....I think because I'm used to the ridiculous part count in 1/35 armour I was suprised how few there was. However they are a good size,  pretty substantial and mostly a good fit. (So far) 

One gripe, the paint guide is tiny, I'm actually struggling to read the paint codes at times.

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment! :like:

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

In a weird way I wish these were functional in real life. I think it would be fun as heck to go for a ride in that beast. 

They where real, the final  Ekranoplan is beached on the Crimean coast. It was operational for a number of years. As you say must of been a heck of a ride....380 tonnes, at 20ft doing 300mph!

Thanks for looking in!

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Great progress Darryl and using the International Standard Unit of Measurement beer bottle goes to illustrate just how big this model will be!

Thanks Col.

Exactly what I thought too.....What have I too hand  that everyone might appreciate to illustrate the length of this thing....:idea:

Cheers chaps,  thanks again 

Darryl 

10 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

They where real, the final  Ekranoplan is beached on the Crimean coast. It was operational for a number of years. As you say must of been a heck of a ride....380 tonnes, at 20ft doing 300mph!

Correct but I was thinking more along the lines of several of them and still functioning to some degree. Especially in the little cabin under the first set of missiles, up above the main fuselage in the exposed area it would've been one wild ride. https://i.imgur.com/WakXTVz.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Correct but I was thinking more along the lines of several of them and still functioning to some degree. Especially in the little cabin under the first set of missiles, up above the main fuselage in the exposed area it would've been one wild ride. https://i.imgur.com/WakXTVz.jpg

That would have been quite a sight, particularly one of the really big ones!

Apparently they could even operate in bad weather. Wonder what the ride would have been like, solid and smooth or.....:puke:

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Wonder what the ride would have been like, solid and smooth or.....:puke:

I imagine it would've been much like the early attempts at breaking the sound barrier with manual controls. Bouncy as all heck, noisy, and scary but thats probably why I want to do it. 

• Haha 2