Humber armoured car Mk II 1/35

Ted

More Ready for Discussion than Inspection. Glad to be finished it but I have to say I did not enjoy building this kit. I love Bronco because of the subject matter; early war British armour, many Canadian subjects, great detail. And I was really excited about this model until I opened the box and started building. 

Anyone else built one of these? It has superb detail but terrible design. Way too complicated and often fitting poorly. The instructions are frustrating because many parts are mis-numbered or missing from the instructions.

I've built Bronco's Staghounds (1/35 and 1/48), Triumph motorcycle, some figure sets and I loved them, This kit was a whole nother ball of wax. I still have a Bronco Archer, Bofors gun, Landwasserschlepper, and an A13 cruiser tank in the stash and am looking forward to building them. I hope they aren't as fussy as this one was.

20220117_174622

20220117_174630

20220117_174655

20220117_174701

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IanC said:

Looks good - clean and crisp. Are you going to do some light weathering? Perhaps a pin wash to make the details pop a bit more?

Thanks, I usually do washes, filters, highlights, and weathering to some degree. This one I had to set aside for a while once I finished building and painting. 

looks a nice model, there is just something about armoured cars from WW2 to present that I feel doesn't get enough representation.

Well done! even if the kit did sound abit of a pain  

1 hour ago, WYATT said:

looks a nice model, there is just something about armoured cars from WW2 to present that I feel doesn't get enough representation.

Well done! even if the kit did sound abit of a pain  

Thanks, I agree, there's something about armoured cars I really like. This Humber is one of three armoured car shelf queens I'm finishing:

and a Lynx scout car I'm scratch/converting:

On 1/18/2022 at 12:56 PM, Ted said:

This one I had to set aside for a while once I finished building and painting. 

That will be the Bronco effect kicking in. 😱

It looks ok though and when you finish the painting etc, please, bring it back for another look. It's hard to assess it until the weathering's done. 

• Like 1

On 18/01/2022 at 01:50, Ted said:

I still have a Bronco Archer, Bofors gun [...]

I was going to suggest that you would really like the Archer, as it's an outstanding kit; but on the other hand, I loved this kit, too... So maybe not.

I've not yet had what I would call a bad kit from Bronco -- I absolutely love them for their detail and precision; even though the manuals are tricky, some of the etch bits are too small even for me to accept, and the precision + complexity does mean that mating surfaces must be very carefully finished and any paint removed to avoid compounding slight errors. Rather like one or two of Eduard's latest kits in this last respect.

Now, get weathering... 🙂

Edited by Ade H
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ade H said:

I was going to suggest that you would really like the Archer, as it's an outstanding kit; but on the other hand, I loved this kit, too... So maybe not.

I've not yet had what I would call a bad kit from Bronco -- I absolutely love them for their detail and precision; even though the manuals are tricky, some of the etch bits are too small even for me to accept, and the precision + complexity does mean that mating surfaces must be very carefully finished and any paint removed to avoid compounding slight errors. Rather like one or two of Eduard's latest kits in this last respect.

Now, get weathering... 🙂

I loved building their Staghound and Triumph motorcycle. and like I said their subjects are absolutely top shelf for a Canadian enthusiast. I just get the feeling that this kit was designed by a talented CAD jockey instead of a proper designer. I don't want to harp on the flaws, more for discussion than venting, but the quality of the molding and detail was not matched by elegant fit or workflow. And I don't mind a challenge, I scratchbuilt a Humber scout car and C15TA before kits were released. 

I have admiration for anyone who enjoyed building it, you have much patience and skill.

• Thanks 1

Bronco kits, a bit like MiniArt. Bucketful of tiny parts. You've done a great job sticking them together!

As for the paint:

"Sarge! I've got a bargain, straight from Humber dealership showroom, last year model, 10% off" :-))

Zig

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

A very nice, tidy job. Especially considering the challenges you described. 

It's one of a very few AFVs I would like to make. But your warnings about construction are noted.

• Thanks 1