An African Mitchell… no, hold on… it’s a Corsair.

Dansk

I’ll keep the intro as short as i can here chaps, but it's complex so apologies in advance…

I’ve built too many modern jets I need to build something propeller driven to give my Mojo a boost.

Later this year or maybe early next year I’m gonna build a recently bought 1/32 b-25.

I can’t wait. Biggest and craziest thing I’ll have attempted to date. I love Mitchells.

51827729645_a4894d79f7_c.jpg

However I don’t feel qualified yet for this endeavour, so consider this smaller (but still a very substanstial build) a warm up.

I’m going for a 1/48 scale african continent based B-25 C/D; Something like one of these fairly generic looking schemes...

51827120438_b9fb5e0084.jpg

51827120443_d6e626c8d4.jpg

51827354159_8c046f3a0a.jpg

I’ve never built a desert coloured plane before and I think it could be fun weathering one.

The markings I will make from a mix of foxbot stencils sheet, some montex masks and some custom made on my cricut.

The kit:

Again a hybrid; I’ll be building this:

spacer.png

However, having its nose ‘painted' this kit option omits the detail inside the nose to create a "glass nose” variant.

I hate the box scheme above. I prefer Mitchells with their glass noses visible so I also have this below in the stash too (to a degree essentially the same kit)...

spacer.png

I’ll be using some parts from the doolittle's nose interior for the build that are not supplied with the Academy c/d boxing.

And also note this original doolittle tooling also includes custom nose weights that I will steal.

51827144388_459c36c2fc.jpg

I’ve also heard that the initial tooling had problems and the moulds have been tuned and tweaked in the decades since (another reason to avoid building the doolittle oriignal boxing)

- however examining them in detail they look unchanged and even down to the matching twin scratches...

51826093057_746b2e796b.jpg

(these two pieces are 20 years apart in production year)

...and throughout the kit the flash (and theres lots) in the exact same places, so I suspect this is fanciful that the mouldings have been tuned.

Initial impressions:

great detail it really looks super, but as I said flash in lots of areas, and no locating areas for joins, vague instructions, butt joints, seams and ejections pins all over the place… it feels sloppy and amateurish in general.

but hmmmm... I’m jumping off a state-of-the-art Tamiya F-14 to go to this puppy so its big come down, feels very 'cottage industry' compared to Tamiya circa 2021.

Hopefully this little lot will compensate a littlle

51827389429_b33aa0c97e_h.jpg

51827791540_05f8da12c3_b.jpg

plus some seats and a few other bits and pieces on their way...

wish me luck boys

• Like 13

I’ll be following along Paul

This is one of those kits that’s on my ‘must build one day list’ so it will be interesting to see how it goes together. 

James

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, franky boy said:

I’ll be following along Paul

This is one of those kits that’s on my ‘must build one day list’ so it will be interesting to see how it goes together. 

James

will do my best not to put you off it james, it seems like it has lots of potential.

• Like 1

A great choice Paul, the Mitchell looks good in any colour scheme but the North African/Med based schemes used by the USAAF were really good. It will make a nice practice build for your 1/32 monster. For some reason I seem to remember there being an issue with the cowlings, can't remember exactly what it is, it might be as simple as the opening not being wide enough.

• Thanks 1

I’m really sorry guys. 

But this kit is garbage.

when you line panel lines up, the the aerials dont line up?!

and those rivets on opposite sides of the panel?

51831353800_6156ae8b06_o.jpg

and the story continues..

51831353790_7019d60acc_o.jpg

and theres scratches on the surface of the mould where it looks like they have sanded away an inspection panel (thats not me its the acutal mould on both boxings)

51831353780_c3576b27b5_o.jpg

and the test fit of the bulkheads is so disastorous I cant bear to show you.

It’s all fixable but a pain and right now I need something easier to do, to get a nice mojo boost.

I consider my skills more assembler rather than a true modeller for now,

I’ll return to it when I need a challenge. 

So I’ve started on a this old but beautiful shake and bake…

It can have a bomb but i think it’s bending the point of the GB to enter it.

51830632301_f617d97538_o.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

Im sorry to hear this. The Accurate Miniatures kits always got such high reviews. As for early 1/48 B-25’s I built a few of these in the 80’s and 90’s. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-4585-b-25-mitchell--264832

Not the greatest kit but with some care and attention they can turn out great. Its weakest part is the upper turret. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

Very sorry to hear that Paul but I completely understand where you are coming from.

I don't think that a bomb laden Corsair would be stretching the point too far at all, its no different than a bomb carrying Typhoon and the USN/RNZAF/USMC Corsairs moved a lot of mud (or sand) in the Pacific campaign.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Very sorry to hear that Paul but I completely understand where you are coming from.

I don't think that a bomb laden Corsair would be stretching the point too far at all, its no different than a bomb carrying Typhoon and the USN/RNZAF/USMC Corsairs moved a lot of mud (or sand) in the Pacific campaign.

I will return to it when I have more energy Craig.

Really with the Corsair? Ok cool then I’ll do that then if you guys consider it ok.

I assembled and primed a couple of parts this evening I can photograph them tomorrow.

• Like 2

• Dansk changed the title to An African Mitchell… no, hold on… it’s a Corsair.
11 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Once you've had a Tamiya, there's no going back...

There’s truth there for sure Bertie.

Thank you chaps then let’s go Corsair with Col’s blessing.

• Like 2

Yep, the Corsairs took awhile before they were cleared for routine carrier operations...so most of the early Corsairs went to the Marines.  And pretty much anything flown by the Marines ends up as CAS.  It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.  :lol:

• Like 2

Shame about the Mitchell,  as @Corsairfoxfouruncle said I remember the AM kit coming out with such positive reviews! (Seems a really time ago now....)

Good luck with the Corsair, however as its Tamiya I doubt you'll need it!

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here you go its the best I can find. 

BRXc5D7.jpg

IEdQQ88.png

8E3J1kH.jpg

1BOfr30.jpg

Ki31OmS.jpg

The most important ones to follow are #’s one as it will show you where the fabric surfaces are. Two is a -4 corsair but will show you the rivets, everywhere that matches non fabric locations between one & two. Three, four, & five will give any other info that you may need. Please ask if you need more. 

Dennis

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Here you go its the best I can find. 

BRXc5D7.jpg

IEdQQ88.png

8E3J1kH.jpg

1BOfr30.jpg

Ki31OmS.jpg

The most important ones to follow are #’s one as it will show you where the fabric surfaces are. Two is a -4 corsair but will show you the rivets, everywhere that matches non fabric locations between one & two. Three, four, & five will give any other info that you may need. Please ask if you need more. 

Dennis

Wow Dennis thanks so much !

• Like 1

A bomb-carrying Corsair is a good option Paul :) Certainly a better one that a Mitchell with mis-matched panels and parts :( I'm sure you have the skills to master it but shouldn't have too and can fully understand your desire for a simple mojo-restoring project. I'm looking forward to seeing your impressive skill-set being brought to bear on this Corsair at whatever level you wish to set them.

• Like 2

Thanks a lot chaps.

It’s a real pleasure to work on a quality kit again.

I got a bunch done yesterday and today.

I’ve been adding some suggestive plumbing to enliven the office and wheel bays a touch.

51832365256_0335148480_b.jpg

51832478678_c8f724567b_b.jpg

51832478703_c3fbc67896_b.jpg

this lot I’ll position when its installed in situ.

51831418802_e3fafaa42f_b.jpg

I intend to try out Mig’s chipping fluid on this build so it, together with all interior facias, all coat a coat of alclad white aluminium, I’ll then apply the chipping medium, and afterwards the interior green coat that is to be attacked.

Here’s the alclad…

51833097540_f8c9170d5a_b.jpg

51831418812_54af2619cc_b.jpg

51832478618_8c9546db81_b.jpg

while i was at it i coated the prop too

51831418852_58dd70c252_b.jpg

also got some AM resin wheels constructed, all 2 pieces of them :)

51832365221_7c86aef3ab_b.jpg

so much fun to work on this.

god bless mr. tamiya.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Dansk said:

so much fun to work on this.

god bless mr. tamiya.

Yes the Tamiya Corsairs are Beautiful, Ive built a number of them in both scales. Too bad they stopped with the early marks. Hasegawas -5 and later are good, there  -4 is older with raised panel lines but still decent. 

• Like 1