SuperGlue (ie C/A)

LaurieS

Being using Rocket. 20sec 10sec & 5 sec types.

Any used these changed to others & found better. Locktite seem to do a number of types.

Any recommendations of other type welcomed.

I use Locktite primer. Also advice on accelerator not aerosol the pressurized little bottle you press the top button to release accelerator liquid..

Also have trouble with rigging what glues have you found success with.

Laurie

Hi Laurie. What is it about your current glue that you don't like? I guessed that you meant Deluxe Roket, so I looked it up and it seems to be well liked.

Anyway, if you fancy trying an another make, I can recommend Bob Smith Industries, which can be bought directly from the importer. I really like them. The nozzles are long and precise, but don't clog, the caps are snug, and they last much longer than some (e.g. Zap). My favourite is the rubberised type, which has a few benefits. For example, I just joined two halves of a Ducati's fuel tank with it, knowing that I can sand it perfectly smooth and it won't sink and produce a ghost seam.

I can't recommend a kicker, as I've never tried one; when humidity is very low, breathing heavily on the glue join seems to help. As for rigging, maybe I'll need to work that one out if I succumb to Eduard's new Camel...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ade H said:

Hi Laurie. What is it about your current glue that you don't like? I guessed that you meant Deluxe Roket, so I looked it up and it seems to be well liked.

Anyway, if you fancy trying an another make, I can recommend Bob Smith Industries, which can be bought directly from the importer. I really like them. The nozzles are long and precise, but don't clog, the caps are snug, and they last much longer than some (e.g. Zap). My favourite is the rubberised type, which has a few benefits. For example, I just joined two halves of a Ducati's fuel tank with it, knowing that I can sand it perfectly smooth and it won't sink and produce a ghost seam.

I can't recommend a kicker, as I've never tried one; when humidity is very low, breathing heavily on the glue join seems to help. As for rigging, maybe I'll need to work that one out if I succumb to Eduard's new Camel...

Thanks Ade. Perhaps the Roket that I have is out of date & not working well.

Also thought it strange that Amazon used to have it splashed about but not one mention. Just wondered why. Plus Ebay only have one advert seems strange.

Thanks for your input will look up Bob Smith looks good.

Laurie

• Like 1

Hi Laurie,

I use Loctite Super Attack original and gel. First one being very thin and wicks in nicely. Excellent for small ferrules and lycra rigging.  Holds immediately. No staining. Good if you predrill rigging holes and glue in loops to feed the lycra around and back through the ferrule. Rarely use kicker. I still have a bottle of ZAP, that unless it has a shelf life, will last me at least 4 lifetimes. 

Ray 

• Like 1

Just now, Ray_W said:

Hi Laurie,

I use Loctite Super Attack original and gel. First one being very thin and wicks in nicely. Excellent for small ferrules and lycra rigging.  Holds immediately. No staining. Good if you predrill rigging holes and glue in loops to feed the lycra around and back through the ferrule. Rarely use kicker. I still have a bottle of ZAP, that unless it has a shelf life, will last me at least 4 lifetimes. 

Ray 

Thanks Ray. Very informative. Been using a thicker one for rigging. Must experiment.

My problem is with the end of a mast trying to stick a plastic line to the top of the mast. I use a locktite primer.

Used to use Cyberbond primer pen. But they only sell them in 50s. Pity superb. Cyberbond produce for the space industry

Laurie

59 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Thanks Ray. Very informative. Been using a thicker one for rigging. Must experiment.

Some other pointers.

I try to avoid butt joins. So always looking for solutions like fine grooves on the back of a post and wrap around rigging and thread through ferrule, or drill very fine holes (0.3 mm or 0.2 mm when all my drills are not broken). 

I stretch some styrene tube stock I have to make microbore tube to cut for ferrules loop and feed the other end back through. The ferrule to represent the turnbuckle, sleeve or tensioning spring. I model in 1/48.

I put a small amount of CA on plastic coated carboard (cut up packaging like a chocolate biscuit carton) and then use a fine wire (0.25 mm) as an applicator to pick up a small amount and apply. You can put a loop on the wire end but I find for my work that after the first application the wire picks up the CA nicely. If it get too large I cut it off and start with a fresh end.  

Note that it also depends on your rigging material. I am currently using Infini, which works brilliantly with this method. Fishing line does not set as quickly and stretched sprue is OK. For fishing line and stretched sprue I tighten up with the old heated scalpel blade trick so the joints are not high-tension when the glue is applied. You pull the Infini tight by hand. 

Here is an example:

Ferrules "tensioners" - stretched styrene tube

Insulators - CA Gel and Talc

Note that top of mast drilled and fine wire inserted then trimmed to length rear post drilled.

BG Bf-109 G2 Finished 1

I would use the same principles on a Camel build although it would need a bit of pre-planning and drilling. If it is all made and finished and rigging is last it gets a little more complicated, probably a stretched sprue or microwire application and then some form of rapid hold and kicker may be needed. 

Ray

• Like 1

Oh tut tut going to report that man to Root Admin 🤣

Thanks Ray great explanation. Thanks for your time.

I use beading line. Crysta Line. get in about 6 sizes. Not had a problem until recently. Just think the Rocket has gone off.

Got some Bob Smiths, thanks Ade, coming. Got some Locktite coming thanks Ray.

Also not helping doing a depp clean of model(& bedroom) room. So when cleaning models come across a number of old models where

the rigging has lost some of it's spring. The do not seem to want to be re connected . So new line when my new C/A arrives.

Thanks all including Root Admin.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS
stupidity
  • Like 1