Pink Floyd The Wall Lola racecar in 1/43.

Here is a restoration so I apologise as it’s not a kit ,but was/is a hand built resin model. I’ve always wanted a model of this car or any other 2 litre sportscar of the 70’s! It was a limited edition hand built by a one man band called Ampersand from Denmark,they also made some Indycar metal kits,they later got taken up by SMTS. I got this model 2 years ago and it was in a terrible state,it wasn’t white just completely grubby,a brownish dusty colour. Made I think in in 1984 it was expensive and exclusive,only 100 being made. I did manage to dismantle it,the glue was that yellow contact adhesive which had sort of shrunk,and I would love to have resprayed but there is no set of replacement decals. Lots of careful cleaning followed and I added the BRDC decals and a yellow Lola badge. It still looks a bit rough round the edges,but was state of the handmade art a long time ago now. I still like it anyway, no other model of this car has ever been made so far…..(or a decal sheet). In 1/43 that  is anyway. Oh and I also replaced the mirror and it’s stalk,far too over sized.

spacer.png

Nice picture came with it,could put it on The Wall I reckon!  Chris.

spacer.pngspacer.png
All the best,Chris.

• Like 21

Great restoration job!  Nice car too. 

I also like the 2 litre sports cars of the seventies.  Waiting in the queue to be built are a Lola T212, a Chevron B16, and the Chevron B16 Spyder.  The European 2 litre sports car championship was a great series.

Trevor

• Like 2

Cheers all,the other ‘missing 1/43 ‘ Lola is the Barclays Bank car,I haven’t come across one of those either apart from an extremely rubbish plastic kit from Luso. I love Chevron cars too,I managed to buy up all of the Libra Miniatures B16 coupe kits,they’ve all gone now,but I kept the 3 that raced at Le Mans in 1970. I have also 2 I think of the Ampersand Indycars. Chris.

Very nice! I remember a Lola (T297 I think) in Nick Mason / Mark Hales's book "Into The Red", it was one of my favourites in the book - and I remember they had a heck of a time getting it started - but it was a dark colour, British Racing Green I think. It looks the same though, so I'm assuming it's the same car? I've tried to trace it on Google but I couldn't find anything tracing the car's livery changes. Just seems odd for him to have two of them, so I guess it raced in the white Wall colours, changed to the green livery by the time the book was published in 1997, and from the looks of it online is now currently in the brickwork paintjob again.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 4:42 PM, keefr22 said:

We don't need no heducashiun.....!!

Cue one of the greatest guitar solos ever (IMHO), certainly the perfect solo to accompany the pics of this cracking model.

• Like 2

spacer.pngTo mainly Kiseca- this is the same car,another one shown above,they never made kits of this car,big mistake I think. This is the famous Lola T297 chassis number HU22. I’m sure this car raced 5 times at Le Mans,once or twice with a longer tail. This car did race in The Wall livery once in the 1981 Silverstone 6 hr.race. The Wall LP was released in 1979. When I was trying to find pictures of the wall car the other week,I was looking at 1973 or 4! 
Who knows where the time goes? As they say. All the best,Chris.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow, good find! You're certainly getting a few kits done of late.

Always difficult when you would like to bring it up to current standards but there's not much out there that helps - unless you want to scratch build the parts!

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks for that, Kitkent, sounds like the green was the car's more common livery then, with the one outing as The Wall - and a few bodywork changes from time to time as well!

I would recommend Into The Red for anyone interested in how this car, and a number of others from Nick's collection, drive. Mark Hales gives vivid descriptions on how each one feels from the driver's seat when lapping Silverstone, including Nick's old Panhard and his very famous 250 GTO, and Nick Mason gives an excellent description of his history with each car.

I never knew of this Lola before I got the book but the descriptions brought it to life and give the car a character all of its own.

It looks like there's a follow up, "Passion for Speed", which has the same text but adds two additional cars, to make 24 in total.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Natter said:

Cue one of the greatest guitar solos ever (IMHO)

Have to agree. David Gilmour has that knack if making it look simple, even though it isn't. Eric Clapton can do the same.

BTW. My favourite DG solo is the one in 'Money'. Gets me every time!

• Like 3