Henschel HS 129 B-2

Great to see another less common type getting some attention here fella :thumbsup: 

Like you I enjoy the learning experience that researching a project can be so feel free to share your knowledge :) 

11 hours ago, 81-er said:

Are you thinking of the Luftwaffe or Romanian markings? 

James

I am going to go with the Luftwaffe markings on the box art. There is a winter option as well, but I liked the box art..

13 hours ago, Col. said:

Great to see another less common type getting some attention here fella :thumbsup: 

Like you I enjoy the learning experience that researching a project can be so feel free to share your knowledge :) 

I have only started making aircraft over the last year or two, and its all a learning process, but that's a lot of the fun for me!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sampanzer said:

I have only started making aircraft over the last year or two, and its all a learning process, but that's a lot of the fun for me!

Aye but we all got to see the grand job you've been making of your aircraft projects so know you'll be fine ;) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update - not a lot to report, primed and painted the base colour for the cockpit. Decals for cockpit and make some seatbelts then I will button the fuselage up and attach to the wings, all looks nice and easy so far.

51844295339_dcde2d9925_b.jpg 51844042923_e19a70914b_b.jpg

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, Col. said:

This one looks to have a nice level of detail across the kits parts Sam. How is it fitting together so far?

I have to say I am impressed with the fit. I have dry fitted the wings to the fuselage and no gaps, nice and snug so far!

• Like 1

Further update! Fuselage all buttoned up and wings attached. I will need a little filling in the wing roots as you can see in the last photo, but its not too bad to be fair. I'm quite enjoying this kit to be honest..

51852802182_2772d77d8e_b.jpg

51853843483_be0a895b6d_b.jpg

51853843493_1e7c4427ce_b.jpg

51853843503_3024094a15_b.jpg

51852802212_9a41a51fdb_b.jpg

51854113179_c6a737c231_b.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had a unproductive fortnight with other things keeping me away from modelling, however I have now completed constructing all the components and applied filler where I think it was required.

51883494654_9839be3107_b.jpg

51883175876_fa6bb9bba3_b.jpg

As you can see the canopy still needs to be masked, but it does fit well!

51882206852_11d6af1c09_b.jpg 51883826775_b74cf0c096_b.jpg

Question before I paint and decal, the spinners have a swirly decal to go on. Is it better to paint and decal these before final fitting or does it not matter? not done this sort of thing before lol

Hopefully mask the canopy today and get some primer on then see if there is any other filler or sanding required before base colours and camouflage painting!

Thanks in advance for answers!

• Like 9

That's come together nicely, I should imagine a fair bit of the cockpit should be visible through that canopy? What's the lump just ahead of the canopy, a magazine for one of the weapons? I'm afraid I can't help on the spinner question, I've not tackled one yet.

James

48 minutes ago, 81-er said:

That's come together nicely, I should imagine a fair bit of the cockpit should be visible through that canopy? What's the lump just ahead of the canopy, a magazine for one of the weapons? I'm afraid I can't help on the spinner question, I've not tackled one yet.

James

Thanks, Its a nice kit, not a lot to it to be fair, but that'll do for me, I'm very much a novice on aircraft!! The lump on the nose is the gunsight!

I wouldn't have guessed you were an aircraft novic from how this has gone together, top work. I did briefly wonder if it was the gunsight, but discounted that idea as I couldn't see anyone deliberately sticking it on the outside. That'll teach me! Looking forward to seeing this in paint.

James

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 81-er said:

I did briefly wonder if it was the gunsight, but discounted that idea as I couldn't see anyone deliberately sticking it on the outside.

The Hs 129 had a very cramped cockpit, not only was the gunsight on the outside, if you look at the inner faces of the engine nacelles, that's where they put the engine gauges. :winkgrin:

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Looking really good, I've the Hasegawa boxings of these somewhere so it's good to know they go together ok!

Me too Darryl, and with this re-release there has been some AM brought out to improve a few areas.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

The Hs 129 had a very cramped cockpit, not only was the gunsight on the outside, if you look at the inner faces of the engine nacelles, that's where they put the engine gauges. :winkgrin:

Me too Darryl, and with this re-release there has been some AM brought out to improve a few areas.

There are decals for the engine gauges! The canopy has masks for inside and outside, and masks for the wheels too. All quite impressive.

I didn't know anything about this aircraft, bought it on a whim because I liked the look of the box art, which is unusual for me! I've enjoyed the research though.

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Good to see you making progress with this one again Sam :thumbsup:

Do your swirly spinners first before fitting them if you can.

Thank you Col!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sampanzer said:

There are decals for the engine gauges! The canopy has masks for inside and outside, and masks for the wheels too. All quite impressive.

Sounds good, no masks were in the Hasegawa boxing.

9 hours ago, sampanzer said:

I didn't know anything about this aircraft, bought it on a whim because I liked the look of the box art, which is unusual for me! I've enjoyed the research though.

Impressive aircraft, it's a pity they didn't add the 75mm anti-tank gun option in the kit.  I have the CMK resin exterior improvement set, it replaces all the control surfaces so they can be deflected. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

As I now see! Thank you for the insight, Bob :)

James

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A small update, all primed now, used Mr Surfacer 1500 from a rattle can, gives good coverage in my opinion. Had a couple of places to refill after that, but now starting to get some paint on the plane, starting with the yellow!

51901888722_c236bd5d88_b.jpg

and I also started the spinners and props with the black green. Both require a couple more light cotes to get there. Hopefully finish the yellow to day so I can mask and start the main colours over the weekend!

51901888717_bb6de5ddd4_b.jpg

keep well and have a good weekend!

• Like 6

I have one in 1/72 to build sometime, having built a Lindberg one many years ago, followed by the old Airfix one. It is a Tamiya reboxing of the Italeri kit (as it would seem was the Revell one). Apparently it was a pretty poor machine, underpowered and very cramped for the pilot, hence the instruments overspilling to the engine nacelles. On the original A version the controls were very heavy and the control column short so it was provided with an extension sleeve to fit over it to give the pilot more leverage. The B was an improvement but the Gnome Rhone engines were not very powerful even when they worked - they had a reputation for unreliability which was made event worse by dust/sand getting into them as they did not initially have an appropriate filter for the air intake. I seem to remember reading that the French workers at the Gnome factory may have deliberately sabotaged them but I am not sure if that is true. Henschel did want to build an improved version but the RLM told them to get on with the existing version as it was needed urgently. About the only thing going for it was the heavy armour fitted which made it fairly damage resistant. Some of the winter camo schemes I have seen are rather interesting.

I will watch yours with interest.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1