Buccaneer S Mk2b PK106 FINISHED

Intentions of doing a bit of paintwork on some of the builds I have underway already came to naught this morning. Nothing has dried properly from yesterdays efforts. Cold and damp air don't really mix well with Humbrol enamels it would seem. There's nothing for it but to start another couple of Matchbox projects then! 

My F4 Phantom build can have a Buccaneer sat alongside it on the bench. Similar schemes mean there is a sort of logic involved here although I'm the first to admit to stretching things a bit.

Here's the kit:

20220117-102306.jpg

20220117-102326.jpg

Matchbox didn't exactly push the boat out on this one. The decal options are so close to each other you have to wonder why they bothered. There are no underwing stores either, not even a pylon for any. At least this boxing of the kit shows the plane in clean condition, the first issue box has a bit of a bomb loadout going on that certainly wasn't in the box.

The Phantom project has four left over bombs that might get a look in here. I'll have a dig through my parts trays to see if I can turn up anything else that could add a bit to the build.

Here's the box contents.

20220117-102623.jpg

Parts cleanup starts this afternoon.

• Like 18

Great stuff Tony

Your point about hardly any difference between the decal options is the same with the A7 Corsair.

I think the only difference is the ashtray needs emptying on one of them  :giggle:

Good luck with this one.

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 5

Bringing some model building supplies up from the shed and into a much warmer spare room was a good idea by the look of it, No doubt I'll be walking constantly between the two looking for specific items that will never be in the right place, but that's will find a level soon enough. My shed is by far and away my preferred modelling space, everything is in there and to hand. However, it's a bit extravagant and slightly wasteful to heat it up for few hours a day when the house is already plenty warm. Eco modelling!

Starting a new build also seems to have worked well, the Buccaneer is coming along just fine. Parts got trimmed and assembly followed shortly afterwards. Straight out the box so far, but who knows what might happen as things progress? The cockpit looks pretty bare but trying the seats and fuselage together see's very little indeed on show in there.

20220117-200644.jpg

The rest of my builds, bar the Honey tank, are all getting a look in at the same time. Progress is rapid.

20220117-200536.jpg

• Like 13

....Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that's a great big YES PLEASE from this end! There's that problem solved, before it even had time to become a problem as well!

In return for all this bounty, I'll get a few bits and bobs on their way to you. 😊

Thanks, again, Mike.

13 hours ago, Mike Dean said:

:kissing2:

Get a room Gents!! 

Great to see the big Bucc being built up here. I've had a few of these kits over the years ad was always pleased how Matchbox boxed in the wheel wells, whilst Airfix and Frog did not. Oh, I'll I'd be happy to trade some of that 'Cold and Damp' for 'Hot and Humid' if you'd like.... maaan, its just 'orrible downe here today! 

Cheers. welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Haha 1

Looks good so far! It’s an interesting parts breakdown - different from every other Buccaneer kit that I’ve laid eyes on - so I’m hoping the fuselage-engine fit is a good’un.

21 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

always pleased how Matchbox boxed in the wheel wells

The FROG kit had more fresh air than fuselage when I started mine in the Buccaneer GB last year. Talk about “see through”!

(edit) From the sprue shots it looks like Matchbox even give you blanking plates for the jet intakes… Luxury!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 10:37 AM, AdrianMF said:

(edit) From the sprue shots it looks like Matchbox even give you blanking plates for the jet intakes… Luxury!

Ey. Luxury. When I were Lad ur Dad used to beat us to death until we made ur own blanking plates and then send us to bed before we woke up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The loadout has been decided. Three TV missiles and the rather odd backwards looking pod. Donated by Mike, moulded by Airfix. 

20220123-130227.jpg

Here's the intended final look. The image was found, yet again, by Mike and forwarded to me today. It's from a copy of Speed and Power and fits in rather nicely with the kits era. I like the look of the test missiles as opposed to the white live jobbies. The white stripes look like a challenge.

The early roundels also swung things further in this direction. There's something about the red white and blue roundels, they look very smart and very RAF to me.

thumbnail-Buccaneer-Martel-trials-2.jpg

Prior to this version, I was thinking of heading towards a scheme with white missiles.

bKbmr6.jpg

Tomorrow see's a lot of filling, sanding and priming on several current builds and the Buccaneer will be in there with them. It's in primer at the moment, awaiting milliput. The missiles will also be getting a bit of sanding down. The TV heads need opening out and a clear dome needs fabricating for them.

20220123-134807.jpg

More as it happens.

• Like 17

Nice.....! 

I was going to chip in with mention of the 2 sensor type things on the le of the wings, Tony, which are also absent from the kit. But looking at the picture above of the earlier aircraft, it seems they are not required, so scrub that! 

The cockpit is very empty for sure but then it's not that kind of kit. A bit of a mod to the top of the chairs and a couple of wire loops makes more of a difference. 

Wing turbulator blades are absent but they can be clumsy in plastic anyway. I drew them on, or more particularly the dirty streaks they make on the wing top. But mine is a dirty desert specimen..... 

My Gulf War version was sitting next to the latest Airfix(?) version on the club tables and the Matchbox kit looks a pretty good shape in comparison. 

Once you have fitted all the missing parts.... 😅

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TonyW said:

Here's the intended final look. The image was found, yet again, by Mike and forwarded to me today. It's from a copy of Speed and Power and fits in rather nicely with the kits era. I like the look of the test missiles as opposed to the white live jobbies. The white stripes look like a challenge.

Those white markings on the missiles are going to be a bummer to paint. Sorry about giving you extra work, but it does make for a more interesting model.

Is it going to be "wheels up"? If so, be careful with the stand and CoG of the plane fully loaded. It's a dodgy balancing act with clean wings as it is. You might have to move the stand slot.

2 hours ago, Mike Dean said:

, Be careful with the stand and CoG of the plane fully loaded. It's a dodgy balancing act with clean wings as it is. You might have to move the stand slot.

It's not only confined to the Matchbox kit. I tried twice yesterday to fit a stand to an old Airfix build to add to the thread. The result was two broken Airfix stands for the same reason, CG problems. I gave up at that point, I'm not made of stands.

The Airfix stand slot is behind the revolving bomb bay, giving it next to no chance of working as intended.

I'm undecided about gear up or down. My default setting is gear down, on an airfield base of some sort. I quite like the idea of gear up, low over water with this one though. Something like this Dornier. The model is held up by a metal rod fixed underneath. The base itself is shaped car body filler painted with multiple shades of blue, green, grey, black and a few more coats of clear colours.

IMG-1478.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Somehow the Buccaneer got pushed to the back of the line in the build schedule. It got a revisit today though. A sanding session followed by a coat of Humbrol DSG got things properly back on track. Once the green goes on there will be no stopping me.

20220225-165949.jpg

A Quickboost set of FOD covers got an undercoat, followed by a thin coat of Humbrol gloss red. Another will be needed. The covers were £4.50 delivered which will hardly break the bank. They will add a splash of colour to the build and also hide the rather empty looking front and rear engine holes.

I'm trying to not go to far down the added detail route here, but those covers do look nice. The problem is that they make me think a set of crew ladders would look good as well. Then the cockpit would need a bit done to it. Then I find that the rear airbrake was usually open on the ground. It just keeps piling up! I'll have a think on it before it starts getting get silly.

In the month since I last did anything with the build, I've managed to loose the Matchbox decals. I have no idea what I've done with them.

It's not a problem, as I have a Buccaneer aftermarket set that is part of a sheet I bought ages ago for a Canberra  scheme I liked the look of.

I would rather use the Matchbox sheet, but these will do at a pinch, assuming they work of course.

I think I'll get this build, and maybe the F4 one, done and dusted before getting on with the '63 Corvette build I've started.

I struggle a bit swapping planes and cars around. Me and multitasking have never seen eye to eye.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

In the month since I last did anything with the build, I've managed to loose the Matchbox decals.

:doh: They were nothing to write home about, and 208 squadron are a little more colourful and include the yellow lines, so I see that as a plus.

Will we be seeing the Martels, or are they with the decals?!

Edited by Mike Dean
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mike Dean said:

:doh: They were nothing to write home about, and 208 squadron are a little more colourful and include the yellow lines, so I see that as a plus.

Will we be seeing the Martels, or are they with the decals?!

The Martels are safe and sound.

I keep everything for each build in its own tray so it's easy enough to do a bit here and there as the mood takes. The Buccaneer tray has everything but the decals in it! No doubt they will turn up sooner or later.

• Like 2

I had the Gulf War boxing of this but used the intakes and decs on the old Airfix kit with a Freightdog conversion set, so I have everything else left if you find you are missing any bits! I do have the Airfix decs but they are for an RAF S2B. I also have the Airfix Sea Eagles and Martels.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

7 hours ago, PeterB said:

I had the Gulf War boxing of this but used the intakes and decs on the old Airfix kit with a Freightdog conversion set, so I have everything else left if you find you are missing any bits! I do have the Airfix decs but they are for an RAF S2B. I also have the Airfix Sea Eagles and Martels.

Pete

Thanks for the thought Pete. I think I'm OK for all I need to complete the build.

For me, one of the best parts of joining in with a Group Build is the way like minded souls club together to make things happen. The flip side of that coin is that there's no excuse for not finishing a build. Best I crack on with the Buccaneer!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I managed to get a bit of green on the Brick this morning, I used a new tin of Humbrol RAF dark green. The new enamels seem to need a ton of stirring, along with a fair bit of thinning before they will brush out OK. I added about 25% or so until it flowed as I like it to. The paint covered well and dried slightly patchy. I though I would need another coat but the patchy finish is subtle enough to look like a sort of pre/post shade thing going on.  An hour or two out in the sun(!) and things were dry enough for a coat of satin clear. 

20220226-152759.jpg

Later this afternoon the inevitable happened. Decals went on. Just a couple but what a difference they make. A bit of microsol had them fitting like a coat of paint in short order. I really should wait until all the paintwork is done before any decals go on but it gives me such a boost to see a few fitted. 

20220226-154758.jpg

Next up is masking off the topsides for the light grey undersides. I'm looking forward to that bit. As long as my masking is good, I should have a nice sharp demarcation line soon.

• Like 11

Construction continues on the Buccaneer. The underside got masked and painted and the smart looking slash cuts up front came out well. I like the look.

20220227-145958.jpg

Some more decals have been added and a couple removed. The wing roundels silvered quite a bit so they got taken off and others substituted. The fuselage ones will get replaced as well. The one piece canopy got a bit of masking and the beginnings of the framework started.

20220227-145811.jpg

Slowly but surely it's coming together.

• Like 9

Paintwork looks great, have you tried adding the decals using diluted Klear, it's great and helps stop silvering, also they dry quickly too.  I diluted mine 60% Klear to 40 percent water.  I use it on larger flat areas  if the decal need to conform to various details I use the old school where then microsol.

It was SteveHNZ's idea and works a treat.

Chris

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1