Sword RF-84F Thunderflash 1/72 - 14jun22 nearly there!

5 minutes ago, lufbery said:

Hi,

This plane was discussed on a french forum :   https://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=112220

According to author Jean-Jacques Petit it was a paint test. Location would be Lahr (Germany), in 1959

Thank you @lufbery :)

Good morning Martin 

As far as I know this was a test paint ..

Have fun with your build that I will follow with interest as I have this kit in my stash ..   

Best Regards and take care of you and your family .. 

Patrice 

Just catching up ......

The build started, as many do, with the cockpit. This consists of the tub, the rear wall, the control column and the instrument panel. All very simple. It goes together easily although the soft plastic needs care with cement and drying. The detail is good(ish). So it was a matter of assembly and then painting. I used Humbrol 64 as the base coats, with black, red and yellow for the detail. The whole was give a very light dry brushing of Humbrol 11 and a dark grey (I can't remember which).  It is the best that my arthritic fingers can produce ;). I have ordered a new seat as my build needs a later model seat that is not included in the kit.

37568c

before a final clean up.

37568j

The jet pipe is assembled. It come in three parts. Also the "front end" jet plate was installed in the fuselage. 

Also the nosewheel housing was assembled. It consists of three parts.

37568b

Now the wings. Firstly the internal ducting needs to be installed. You can see this here:

37568d

37568e

After that the two halves of eacxh wing can be brought together. After this has set you need to fill around the intake. It will need shaping too. 

37568m

You also need to drill out the cannon ports

I have tried to dry fit the wings. This clearly shows that care is needed when installing the ducting. If not - as I encountered - the wings will not sit squarely on the fuselage sides.

Right now she is lying in bits while various parts dry and cure. You can see that I have also painted the nose interior and the jet pipe housing.  

37568n

More soon.

Martin

• Like 14

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Sword RF-84F Thunderflash 1/72 - 21jan22 initial assembly - cockpit, wings, etc

A bit more done today.

First was the painting of the "cameras" for the nose ports. These represented by Sword by plates that are to becememnted behind the nose transparencies. Intruth these are probably perfectly adequate. The instructions say to paint these zinc chromate with the cameras painted black and green. Photos I have show the cameras were light grey. I there painted the nose interior, and the camera backing, black. The cameras will be light grey. Before installing these, however, you need to install the transparencies and, as you all know, this is never a straightforward task on a short run-type of kit. I started out trying Kristal Klear (my usual fixer) but these clear parts a not exactly the same shape as the nose contours. Therefore I opted for a bit-by-bit approach using Extra Thin cement. So far so good. Here I have fixed the uppermost edges and will wait for that to dry before pulling the rest around and fixing in place. I encountered the same challenge wit bot hof the two shaped parts. The flat ones sit fine once sanded a little. 

11294b

Another task has been to improve the wing intakes. The actual aircraft had airflow guides like this:

However, the kit has simple solid blocks where these should be. So I made my own, using very thin card:

11294a

11294d

The above image shows the wing dry-fitted. When I get to installing the wings I will need to do a fair bit of tidying - wing fences, all seams, intakes and ducting, and one cannon hole that by drill made a mess of! ;)

I have also seen that I will need to perform a little more surgery to the fuselage once mated. The tail tip had a nav light housing at the very top which is not on the kit moulding. I will also add the small venting tube under the starboard wing, as well as what looks like another vent just forward of the tailpipe. 

The instrument panel is now in

11294c

I now think that the coaming needs to be black rather than grey (as I have painted it). I'd like to add more detail but I cant find any images of this area :(. 

Finally, for today, I have changed my subject aircraft. I had planned French RF-84F '37568'. I have one good photo of her from above, showing the camouflage pattern. However, I am now minded to change to my original plan (when I bought the Icarus sheet) and will build a Greek machine. I have an affinity with these machines, having seen them flying at Larissa and seeing another flyin gat Athens-Hellinikon in 1982. Here is my machine:

11294e

She will need a custom-printed serial. Other than that I have the Icarus set to add all the other detail. 

Now, back to those fiddly cameras!

Martin

• Like 13

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Sword RF-84F Thunderflash 1/72 - 24jan22 intakes, cameras and transparencies, new subject aircraft

In my F-84F excitement today I pulled my PJ F-84F kit from the shelf. Mike @72modeler has warned me that this kit has some dimension issues and I now see what he means. Already we are all aware that the Sword is short in fuselage length and is a little lean around the belly. Well, the PJ is even shorter and leaner!!!! What a let down!!!! :( It looks like the Airfix is the most accurate, or at least in these two areas. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I now think that the coaming needs to be black rather than grey (as I have painted it). I'd like to add more detail but I cant find any images of this area :(. 

I'd go with black, a light colour would make some unhelpful reflections under certain light conditions.

Check your e-mail re the coaming, it's likely to have been very similar to the F-84F.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Wez said:

I'd go with black, a light colour would make some unhelpful reflections under certain light conditions.

Check your e-mail re the coaming, it's likely to have been very similar to the F-84F.

Thanks Wez. I got your email and will digest it tomorrow ;). 

M

Work permitting I will check these references for you to see if there are some coaming pointers in there:

https://www.scalemates.com/books/f-84f-thunderstreak-rf-84f-thunderflash-dutch-profile-17-tim-van-kampen-gerrit-boxem-luuk-boerman--107113

http://www.aviation-warbooks.nl/boek_introductie_t-and-t.html

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

A bit more done today.

Taking Wez's @Wez useful help I made up a "generic" coaming area for the instrument panel. It is loosely based on the Tan Model images that he sent. I used card, rod and some fuse wire. I'm sorry but I didn't realise that my photo was so bad!I will add the camera sight later (before fixing te windscreen on).

11294g

I then had to contue with the task of adding the "cameras" and the last bits of transparency. 

11294f

I had to make up one camera by cutting and drilling out  some sprue. The kit has a part for this but as hard as I tried I couldn't get it to fit. I added weight too! After all this had been done I painted the interior and coaming area matt black again. Then, after cleaning and eliminating as much dust as  could I started getting the fuselage together. She now looks like an odd stryrene hedgehog ;)

11294h

As is normal for these builds (i.e. without locating pins and holes and a more vague idea of precision) this process has taken time, cementing it one bit at a time, working along the fuselage from the fin area. She now needs to sit and cure before I can do anything else.

Martin

• Like 10

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Sword RF-84F Thunderflash 1/72 - 25jan22 fuselage together :)
On 1/24/2022 at 4:11 PM, RidgeRunner said:

and seeing another flyin gat Athens-Hellinikon in 1982. Here is my machine:

11294e

Martin

Ahh, yes, those were the days. Seeing in formation four RF-84s and the engines' sound, Oh my Lord what a beautiful sound. It was almost like angels were singing!!! But, now, it's all about sssshhhh make the engine sound less annoying. Especially, in Formula 1.

What's wrong with this world!!

Anyway, back to the build. It's a very interesting topic and one that doesn't need to feather the demarcation lines. But, if you plan on building the recce-bay you definitely need to refer to some photos for help.

Keep up the good work!!!

Cheers,

Bill 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Shalako said:

Ahh, yes, those were the days. Seeing in formation four RF-84s and the engines' sound, Oh my Lord what a beautiful sound. It was almost like angels were singing!!! But, now, it's all about sssshhhh make the engine sound less annoying. Especially, in Formula 1.

Bill, You really can’t beat an F-104A/B/C/D/F/G-installed J79, whether at idle or at any moment up to military power/afterburner :). Even the S had some charm ;)

My favourite Starfighter base and my favourite aeroplane :). The hairs on my neck stand up from the first second of this video :).

Martin

• Like 7

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

My favourite Starfighter base and my favourite aeroplane :). The hairs on my neck stand up from the first second of this video :).

Martin

Honestly, I got goosebumps just by watching the video!! Particularly, at 1:00..... Man those truly were the days!!! Vive la Difference!!!

2 hours ago, Shalako said:

Honestly, I got goosebumps just by watching the video!! Particularly, at 1:00..... Man those truly were the days!!! Vive la Difference!!!

Its great, isnt it. I've watched it many, many times over the past few years. I visited Volkel a number of times and got up close to those wonderful machines. :)

Volkel 1983

Martin

• Like 7

Just a little done today before I head outside to the greenhouse ;)

First I needed to install the fin tip nav light (?) housing at the top of the fin. For this I used some plasticcard, cut to shape and fitted in to a small slot cut with a scalpel. Once set I will shape it. 

After then cleaning up the intakes and wing fences I mated the wings and fuselage. 

11294i

11294j

Tomorrow I will get the wind screen attached and then start filling and sanding, particularly around the wing roots. What I do need now is a good reference photo of the tail skid, which seems to have been deployed when on the ground. If anyone has one I'd love to see it :).

Back again soon,

Martin

• Like 4

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Sword RF-84F Thunderflash 1/72 - 31jan22 wings on

As I am rather peeved about it, I thought I'd post some images of the PJ F-84F compared to the Aeroscale drawings, which are generally considered to be accurate. It is clear the the c€40 spent on a PJ kit is wasted, unless you dont mind underscale! Take a look:

She is short and lean all round

PJ1

Shockingly inaccurate :(

PJ2

and ..... :(

PJ3

I hope you'll forgive my diversion of my own thread!

Martin

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

9 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

As I am rather peeved about it, I thought I'd post some images of the PJ F-84F compared to the Aeroscale drawings, which are generally considered to be accurate. It is clear the the c€40 spent on a PJ kit is wasted, unless you dont mind underscale! Take a look:

Shockingly inaccurate :(

I hope you'll forgive my diversion of my own thread!

Martin

So, more like an 1/76 kit like the Hobbyboss Rafale than an actual 1/72 right?

I guess I need a second Sword RF-84F and an Italeri or Airfix F-84F to try and make an accurate "F" model.

Now, all of you that have a few of these kits in your stock - forgotten in an attic that you haven't visited for more than a decade, don't go rushing to find and sell them on Ebay for £40plus !!!🤣

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shalako said:

I guess I need a second Sword RF-84F and an Italeri or Airfix F-84F to try and make an accurate "F" model.

maybe. At least the Airfix was accurate 

• Like 1

Hi Martin how you doing?

I see just noticed your pic of the PJ F-84F on Flickr & thought you were active again.

I spent quite a while with my PJ kit filling in all those bubbles & yes it's a pain that they've scaled it down a tad. Maybe their molds shrunk!

I've still got it in the primed stage so hopefully i'll get it back on the production line again.

Good to see you're tackling that Sword kit. I thought it wasn't too bad, but I went over it with the olfa scriber over every panel line to get more detail definition, with my Norwegian model.

I'll be keeping an eye on your progress with that.

All the best!

Martin

• Like 1

Just picked up on this thread Martin. Excellent choice of subject and I like the Greek option even better!

Shame regarding the PJ outline accuracy. I invested in one of these a while back, but will still likely make it as is. Sitting alone as a one off, it may not look so bad.

How do the Aeroscale plans compare to the Warpaint series (I have that), and how have you determined whose plans are the most accurate?

Accurate plans (or not as the case may be) seem to plague our hobby!

Nice start on the RF-84F

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Maybe their molds shrunk!

Martin

Good point Martin (unless, you were joking about it) but I find it less likely to see shrinkage to the whole resin part, especially the size that the wings or the fuselage have. Rather, it is more likely to see shrinkage (or bending) in a part like a landing gear leg or wheel or just the tip of a wing for example.

Then again, you never know. We can't exclude this guess totally.

Personally, I live with that fear. I mean having some of my resin models, or resin parts that I have added to some fo my kits - like a cockpit - over the years to shrink and then what. Just imagine having some resin LG legs and suddenly to see the model leaning to one side!!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Martin,

I was hoping I was wrong with my assessment of the PJ kit, for your sake; at least we are either both  pretty smart or dead wrong! (Sad that none of the reviews I rfead mentioned this!)  Looking good, my friend; I have you to blame, as now I want to do either a Belgian or  Greek RF! Pretty sure my F-84F will be a NethAF example- one thing about our Dutch friends, they never let their  weenie cookers get dirty!

Mike

• Like 1