Sword RF-84F Thunderflash 1/72 - 14jun22 nearly there!

2 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Once I get her decalled and varnished prior to wash and weathering I will be starting my next F-84F - the Airfix-based F-84F short finned variant. It’ll mean a lot of scribing! It will also mean I am back at the Flogger

I have one of the Airfix kits, its either going to be Greek or West German, If I can get the decals for this German bird then definitely this one. 8sheZgY.jpg

My 1/48th kit is slated for Illinois A.N.G. 

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Be sure to check, Dennis. Many of the ANG machines were short fins

Tall fin, Dennis. Those small pods are a mystery. Is that thing on the wing to do with the AAR.

1 minute ago, RidgeRunner said:

Tall fin, Dennis. Those small pods are a mystery. Is that thing on the wing to do with the AAR.

Are they part of the winch mechanism?

Are they part of the winch mechanism?

Yes I’m still trying to figure the small pods myself ? Maybe the cable spool for the towed target or possibly an odd improvised tank of smoke to indicate a hit ? The thing on the wing is the door to the in wing fueling inlet, I found out through a different post somewhere here on the Forum. 

I had a few distractions over the weekend and so only just got to getting more done. Today I have now tidied the paintwork/airbrush work and added colour to a few details, such as the cockpit edging/side sills (Humbrol 64), nav lights, rear canopy frame (H64), canopy strut (H11) recess, canopy strut (H11), pitot (H34), wing tank "shackles" (H11), etc. I have opted to represent the small light on the spine with silver decal. The pitot will need red added too. On photos some of the Greek RFs had a simply grey pitot while many had red/white. I'm going with the latter in the absence of a photo of the one on my aircraft. 

I had dug out a a nose wheel from an old Airfix build which looks stronger and better than the Sword offering. I need to strip it first.

Hopefully today, or tomorrow, I will get her Glosscoted and ready for decals. :) The fun bit! Before that I think she will need a wipe over with a wet cloth to remove dust that seems to cling to these Humbrol enamels like a magnet. Its no problem. Just another thing to do. 

newRFm

Back tomorrow

Martin

• Like 10

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Sword RF-84F Thunderflash 1/72 - 03may22 #2 a few minor bits done pre-varnishing
27 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Loving those colours Martin!

Yes, I think that is much better, Terry. If I was over particular I would strive for a worn, sun-bleached effect but my skills aren't up to that. So, I reckon she will be a "recently out of the paint shop" representation. I have also got the tail skid on today.

Martin

• Like 1

Thought I'd have a peek and see how things are going after the nose dive damage. This is looking very nice indeed Martin. Lovely job with the colour scheme, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article soon.

Pete

18 hours ago, Hook said:

Couldn't agree more!

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That's looking really neat Martin! Liking that paintjob! 👍

Keith

9 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Thought I'd have a peek and see how things are going after the nose dive damage. This is looking very nice indeed Martin. Lovely job with the colour scheme, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article soon.

Pete

Thanks for the support, chaps. This one, through my own errors, has taken much longer than I expected. I am certainly encouraged by the new colours for the camouflage. Maybe the tan could be a shade lighter but it is what it is now. 

Martin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a very nice break in Italy last week I am now back at the RF :). ACtually while I was away I even saw an RF on the gate at Villafranca. :) 

Today I got the firt of the decals on. My process is to get the big bits on first and so, in this case, it has been the serial, roundels and no step panels on the wings. I received the new set of serial decals from Arctic Decals a couple of weeks ago. The first set had some blemishes, which Mika understood and kindly reprinted them for me ..... sending me loads! I only needed two ;). He is a star, for sure. 

newRFo

Right now the RF is sitting with the first of her decals drying. I will plan to get the rest on tomorrow.

newRFn

Martin

• Like 8

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Sword RF-84F Thunderflash 1/72 - 16may22 #2 a start on decalling :)
  • 3 weeks later...

I havent forgotten her! Aside from some Flogger work I did a little on the 'Flash. Today I cut new struts for the canopy from square rod and also tackled the nosewheel leg. I am using a cleaned up Airfix part as it is better than the Sword offering. I have added a little detail, such as the vertical rod that runs down the front. What is that? I also added the landing light as well as rounding some of the square flanges. 

newRFp

I also added the brass pins to locate the wing tanks, together with some spacers to make them sit better. 

More again soon.

Martin

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly there!!!!!

Everything is now painted (apart from a missed fuel pipe on one tank, which I replaced today). Later I will get it all varnished in preparation for weathering etc. I like to leave my models a week for the varnish to dry. If not the Flory tends to stick. Once weathered etc she will get assembled and it will be on to the next one :)

newRFp

Martin

• Like 8

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Sword RF-84F Thunderflash 1/72 - 14jun22 nearly there!
On 4/27/2022 at 11:08 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If I can get the decals for this German bird then definitely this one

does this cover what you need, Dennis? https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/luftwaffe-84f-thunderstreak-72-airdoc-107601039 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Yes it would, I know some decal sheets exist, the problem comes in with timing my finances as to whats available.