1: 48 scale Airfix Lightning F2 XN779 19 Sqn RAF Gutersloh 1967

My model depicts an English Electric Lightning F2 of 19 Sqn as flown from RAF Gutersloh in 1967 as shown in the photographs below.

XN779; C/N 95132 First flight by Roland Beaumont on 20 Nov 62 from BAC Salmesbury. Delivered to 19 Squadron ‘G’ on 27 Feb 63 at RAF Leconfield. Returned to BAC Warton 11 Mar 66 for Cat 4 repair; back to RAF Gutersloh 2 Feb 67. To 60 MU RAF Leconfield in Oct 69. With 19 Squadron as ‘X’ 8 Jul 71. RAF Gutersloh fire dump, Sep 73. Maintenance serial number 8348M.

XN779-7

XN779-3

XN779-2

XN779-4

XN779-5

XN779-6

Red Top Tip

All my silver Lightnings are painted with a Matt Silver rattle can from the pound shop  - don't know if they still sell it. BE AWARE IT IS NOT THE SILVER WHEEL PAINT

• Like 24

Thanks for the feedback everyone.t

This was a challenging one to do, mainly because I couldn't find any blue / white chequer markings for 19 Sqn (of this size).

After much sucking of teeth I bit the bullet and took some spare 56 Sqn chequer markings and painted all the red bits blue.

This is not for the faint hearted - you only need to get 3 sides of the square right as on the outside of the square you can trim that side down.

LightningBoy