Decal paper for printing

Valleyforge

I’ve decided to take the plunge and print off my own decals. Iam quite happy to use the manufacturers in the box. However, when it comes to making identical models, I just want to mark them up a little different. I’ve had a go with a free piece of software that I got, for setting up and measuring, using a HP Envy printer and just a piece of cheap decal paper, which I bought off the eBay. Iam not getting to technical at the moment as I just want to see what Iam letting myself in for. Up to now I’ve had favorable results from printing and setting the decals on the kit. Its all trial and error as I can see that there could be a million and one out comes with no real proper correct result. However, its early days so Ill persist. Thing I am asking is are there preferences as too which decal paper guys use on here. The paper I have seems to be quite thick, however somewhat delicate. There are other little problems, for sure. However nothing that probably wont be overcome in time with help from folk on this site. Cheers.   

I'm quite happy with "Kodiak Supplies" paper. Here's an example at 1/144

splash-ai-113.jpg

I use InkScape for designing decals and cutting masks. This is a vector program, while not trivial to learn, it does a great job. Especially since I can print a decal or cut a mask from the same design if I want to. Equally important, you can print your artwork at any scale.

HTH

-- 

dnl

• Like 3

Well, there are some things that need to be known about decal paper.

First - most of the paper available on the market are intended not for scale modelling but for thermal transferring images to pottery - mugs, plates etc. Therefore this paper is quite thick, the fact that it is thermal resistant makes no difference in our hobby.

Second - the type of printer is important, the paper for inkjets has a special coating that adsorbs ink that laser paper does not have. This coating may not be very friendly with laser printer drums and with the high temperatures within laser printer. In worst case it could stick to a drum and damage a printer.

I recently stopped using inkjets and print my decals on colour laser. The best paper I tried was from down under from "Dr. Decal & Mr. Hyde" https://drdecalmrhyde.com/; second best was from XtraDecals sold on Hannants.

Just finished a model, decals are 100% custom laser printed on XtraDecals paper 

IMG-20220113-223024.jpg

• Like 8

12 hours ago, dnl42 said:

I'm quite happy with "Kodiak Supplies" paper. Here's an example at 1/144

dnl

I've just had a look at the Kodiak Supplies product and it states 154 gram, isn't that a bit thick?  I am also an avid user of Inkscape for producing my decals.

I do like what you have done with that tiny 1:144 tail

Cheers,

Mike

• Thanks 2

I also use a laser printer today and my to-go paper is Bare Metal Expert's Choice. Used to be a bit think but the all sheets I've bought in the last few years have been very thin.

Don't know what their recent sheets for inkjet are like though, haven't bought one in ages

• Thanks 1

Best results I had were with Experts-Choice Clear Decal Film. AMS in the Netherlands used to have these in stock until recently, and I cannot get a hold of them now unfortunately. Second best to me is Testors Decal Paper, which has also better availability here in the Netherlands. Too bad Testors comes in smaller page size, A5.

After years of experimenting I still keep searching for the best results and you don't want to know the loads of failed attempts I had and which costed me loads of decal paper.

It struck me more than once that print quality can differ considerably between two consecutive prints, while using the same paper and printer settings.  This is what makes printing my own decals a sometimes rewarding but often frustrating (and expensive!) part of the hobby.

Hope to find more advice here!

Edited by GeejeeZ
  • Thanks 1

On 1/16/2022 at 10:00 PM, Pin said:

Just finished a model, decals are 100% custom laser printed on XtraDecals paper 

Thanks for that some great advice and recommendations Those decals look super. Cant say mine are turning out the same; at the moment. However, its early days and I am figuring out the best way to approach this.

Thanks to everyone for replying to this thread. I am getting pretty good results with the roundels and larger decals. However, the letters and numbers, at this scale, are a little tricky.

Here are some of the print offs Ive done up to now. They are on plain paper, at the moment, with the idea of using decal when I get things right.

The swastikas are for a ME 262 that Ive just finished and the 9 - F 12, and other roundels, are for ideas I am having for a F4F that I am building soon.

spacer.png

Printing tests on plain paper is ok, but the ink can spread out giving the images a fuzzy look.

For best looking tests print on glossy Photo paper.

btw, set your printer to print Best and on Photo paper when printing on the decal paper

I usually print 2 of each thing I want to print, each spaced well apart. That's to ensure I have at least one good one. It has happened that one of the copies has mis-printed.

Its cheaper & easier to print more at the same time than have to go back and do another print run

• Like 3

True, the only really good finish is with the setting at Best and Glossy Photo paper.   Like you BK, I've had very good results with those settings.

I usually seal the printed decal sheet with Decal Bonder Spray. it provides a nice, level protective cover.

spacer.png

cheers,
Mike

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 1/20/2022 at 4:20 PM, Black Knight said:

Printing tests on plain paper is ok

Yes that is all Iam using it for 

tests print on glossy Photo paper.

I will do this next time.

each spaced well apart. That's to ensure I have at least one good one

Good advice

On 1/17/2022 at 10:49 AM, Giorgio N said:

I also use a laser printer today and my to-go paper is Bare Metal Expert's Choice.

Question to those who recommend Expert's Choice - are there the same stencils on the back of the paper?

IMG-20220126-111157-1.jpg

I recall I bought it once only to find out that it was exactly the same paper that I bought from some other supplier twice as cheap. My suspicion is that they don't produce the paper themselves, only repacking with premium

• Thanks 1

These are results I had on a resent kit I just finished. I used some decal paper that I got off the internet and downloaded some free manipulating software. Took the image of the internet and loaded it up to a document and resized it. It printed off pretty well. Maybe some room for improvement on size and shape so a little more research into decal making, paper and sealing spray.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Valleyforge