S-100 class Schnellboot 1/72 Revell lit with Eduard PE detail set

the gangway access ladder has no handrail, Sven is in the shot for scale to show how easy it would be to fall overboard in a heavy swell, need to do some research to see if I need to scratch one like this.

spacer.png

• Like 1

the Stern Flak gun under construction.

spacer.png

the Eduard parts impart scale thickness to an area that will draw the eye.

spacer.png

just a few tweeks and it'll be ready for the airbrush.

spacer.png

• Like 5

pe torpedo holders each made from four parts.

spacer.png

the rafts that sit on the skylight portholes have pe rope guides.

spacer.png

the torpedo has a black nose on bare steel body, the holder has straps with buckles joined by a pin, these hold the weapon securely to the cradle.

spacer.png

• Like 6

odd, the PE set provides parts for a Flakviewrling38, but there's not one in this kit, the midships mount is a twin 20mm, and single barrel on the bow.

spacer.png

the bow mounted flak gun.

spacer.png

the midships zwilling 20mm. can't make the straps on the torpedos meet up, they're far too short, so I'll replace them with a longer length of PE frame, or plasticard.

spacer.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, metadyne said:

next up, the decals and rigging. And a black painted glass base and two chrome keel stands.

spacer.png

That does look very good, I must say I’m tempted to give this one a go.

Jon

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

That is looking very very good, i normally stick to 1/350, but this is tempting me to expand my horizons,  how long is she if you don't mind me asking?

It is having that effect, isn’t it.

Jon

• Like 2

On 2/4/2022 at 6:00 PM, S-boat 55 said:

That is looking very very good, i normally stick to 1/350, but this is tempting me to expand my horizons,  how long is she if you don't mind me asking?

she's 20 inches long, 1/72 scale, the 35th one will be massive.

mounted on two metal spacers with channels cut in them with a cutting disc in an angle grinder, mounted on a black glass base, I'll order the glass next week for the case.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Now the mounts on the keel have had 12 hours to harden in place I can move the model and photograph it in better light.

spacer.png

spacer.png

here it is with a size comparison with  British Vosper MTB, same scale, just to give an idea what the Allies in the English Channel and other unforgiving theaters of war, were up against.

spacer.png

and I'll leave this with a quote from a passage that always gets my blood up. An inkling of the sheer guts and bravery.

dunno I wasn't there, but Lt Comd Bradford RNVR was ...

"they made no indication that they had seen us, I closed at speed, until at a range of about 40 yards, I felt the moment had arrived, and ordered open fire, at 40 yards my guns couldn't miss, the E boat shuddered and jerked as the gunners smothered it with high explosive, the opposition was feeble, a small squirt of a light machine gun, but it hit the magazine of the Oerlikon and the remaining rounds burned and exploded. However there was nothing to be done about it in the thick of the action. I concentrated on a quick kill and edged in closer. I could see large chunks flying off the E boats hull, and the deck lifting as our heavy stuff ripped into it's side and exploded.
Frank was enjoying himself with the twin light machine guns on the bridge just behind me. Squirting into the E boats bridge as fast as he could replace
the empty pans, we practically sawed it in half. The empty rounds rattled around our bridge, spattering my ears and down my collar in their hundreds.
We pressed in closer to twenty yards. The Oerlikon came back into action again. The crew had torn off the burning magazine and thrown it overboard, and put on another. With a belch of flame from the E boat, her decks folded as it hinged. She disintegrated and disappeared. I ducked as a deluge of wood and metal rattled down on our decks."

stirring stuff, and Like I said, balls of steel those guys.

• Like 11

Gidday, that's a great model, and interesting size comparison. That narrative shows it must have been close and personal combat, not like battleships slugging it out with miles of ocean between them. It could easily have been the British crew on the receiving end had they been not so alert and spotted the E-boat first. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all of you for your supportive comments, thanks, It makes a difference to here them all. The final shots of it in it's home made glass case in natural light by the window.

spacer.png

that should keep the dust and little fingers, claws and feather dusters at bay.

spacer.png

• Like 7