S-100 class Schnellboot 1/72 Revell lit with Eduard PE detail set

Going for this one, starting today, opening moves...

spacer.png

the Eduard set, one of two frets of parts.

spacer.png

first move, turn that tip and spill box into a tray to hold sub assemblies.

spacer.png

• Like 5

the hull assembly isn't till stage 9, no thanks, I'm not trying to join detailed decks together at that late stage, especially with PE.

spacer.png 

SO, checking I can join the hull halves early on without creating a problem later on, trial assembly.

spacer.png

the deck at the bridge locks into these horizontal and vertical slots. the deck fit appears to be very positive. The Bridge roof slots in from above, fine, there is no reason to leave all this till stage nine, on we go.

spacer.png

• Like 4

I'm just joining deck and hull halves at this stage as there is a lot of PE to the Bridge roof part above, so that will fit on much later on.

Tape to hold the hull tight together while it dries.

spacer.png 

the deck, superb fit, nice and flush with no distortion.

spacer.png

• Like 9

Interesting build, I’ll follow along.

I don’t think I’ve ever followed the ‘destructions’ in the order they recommend. Mind you, sometimes it has been a near disaster :doh:. But on the whole, I’ve got away with it.

Jon

• Like 2

16 hours ago, europapete said:

Nice project ! Dont forget the front gun tub is too small in diameter and the slope up to it is ficticious. Regards, Pete in RI

Thanks for pointing that out Pete, I was not aware of that, do you have any reference material I could use to correct those faults, any help would be great on that thanks.

spacer.png

frustratingly, eduard don't seem to be aware of Pete's fault either, the instructions just show super-detailing the area around the forward gun tub, so as I've paid out a lot of cash for this set, I'm going with Eduard and building it like that. I know that boats and equipment underwent constant re-fits during their service life, so Maybe Pete has seen the S boat in another time frame, as the Engineer Clearing beach obstacles on Omaha beach said to Captain Millar words to the effect, "you go ahead, I'm dealing with this one"

spacer.png  

ok, the front gun tub should be 22 mm O.D., I used 15 thou sheet cut to size and curved to suit. A new floor was made of sheet and strip slats made. The Eduard PE door can then be fitted to the inside. For the deck slope, there is planty of thickness in the deck, so just shave it off flush with the deck. The tub depth from floor to rim is 30 mm. A strip of 10 thou was added to the top rim on the inside and embossed with rivet detail, 5mm wide. 9x 1mm strips went down verticaly from this to the floor.  Check your reference photos, they will show the set up clearly. The door goes to the rear, to port of the rear centerline strip. Replace all the kit guard rails with fine wire.  Regards, Pete in RI

Edited by europapete

Just google S100 and look at the photo's of the actual boats, not models or computer images. You will see the front tub details. If you would like printed books, then the Squadron/Signal "In Action" book, ShipCraft #6 German S Boats, particularly page 11 of an S38 boat front tub.  For models, google Joseph Neumeyer. he has done a couple of AWESOME diorama's with S- Boats. One fighting a Flower Class Corvette, and another at the dockside. 

• Like 1

Thanks Peter but I've already made the decision to build it OOB except for the Eduard set cheers.

the fore-deck with it's first tone of white, Salt coat next.

spacer.png

the foredeck has these red and white stripes, tamiya narrow tape to the rescue.

spacer.png

the molded detail tends to bulge the tape, leading to paint creep

spacer.png

some light touching up to do, when it's dry.

spacer.png

• Like 4

On 20/01/2022 at 19:04, metadyne said:

the foredeck has these red and white stripes,

Are you building this as Kriegsmarine, I thought only the Italian Navy painted these stripes ?

Jon

On 1/24/2022 at 9:26 AM, Faraway said:

Are you building this as Kriegsmarine, I thought only the Italian Navy painted these stripes ?

Jon

spacer.png

something different, but don't expect me to spell it.

• Like 1

the Torpedos are massive, here they are with an old Airfix 1/72 DAK figure for scale.

spacer.png

the PE instructions for two clamped hatches on the foc'sl.

spacer.png

the actual PE parts with a mm scale.

spacer.png

• Like 1

the salt technique result close up

spacer.png

Flag gun magazines for the Bow AA.

spacer.png

spacer.png

the bolt ring that goes over the skylight portholes, 18 in total.

spacer.png

the porthole glass is made from a drop of pva glue. any smears in the wrong place can be peeled off when it dries.

spacer.png

Edited by metadyne
spelling/typo
  • Like 5