1/48 F-14D, BuNo 164350, VF-2 'Bounty Hunters' OIF, 2003. Finished 29/05.

Hello all,

Another entry from me. This is just as a result of the Tomcat bug which has bitten me again - Tamiya F-14D in the markings of VF-2 'Bounty Hunters' during Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003. Now, this will be a bit different to the normal 'Bombcat' that you see.

BuNo 164350 was delivered to the Navy in early 1992 and served with VF-11, VF-2 and finally VF-31, with whom it served up until retirement in late 2006. It currently resides at the Joe Davies Heritage Airpark at Palmdale Plant 42, Palmdale, California.

During OIF, this jet was one of several jets that were capable of carrying the Tactical Airborne Reconnaissance Pod System (TARPS). The F-14 required a modification to allow the ECS (environmental control system) to pressurise the pod in flight. Because of this and the high tempo of operations, VF-2 had one 'designated' TARPS jet and two 'good' TARPS jets which were wired for either the LANTIRN system or TARPS (both could not be carried operationally at the same time, although they could both be carried for transit). 164350 was one such jet.

On 17th March 2003, 164350 was one of a pair of F-14s on a TARPS mission over Southern Iraq, but due to the demands for Close Air Support (CAS) the jets were each loaded with a pair of MK.82 bombs. The aircrew of 164350, Lt(jg) Pat Baker and Lt Sean Mathieson, were talked onto a target by a British Army FAC/JTAC near Basra. The target was Saddam Hussein's presidential yacht, Al Mansur, which was moored close to Umm Qasr. The yacht was struck by the four Mk.82 bombs dropped by the pair of F-14s, which, although didn't sink the vessel, rendered it permanently useless.

Kit:

51824967529_df6b2d1ec5_b.jpg

51824967384_b4344c8279_b.jpg

Aftermarket:

51824623786_d25256412f_b.jpg

I'll be using Quickboost seats, Quinta cockpit set, New Ware masks, Tamiya detail set and Fightertown decals.

The scheme:

51824732638_b43d3dd18c_b.jpg

Here's a picture of the Al Mansur post attack:

almansur01.jpg

The MK.82/TARPS load out on a VF-2 jet (more than likely 164350):

f14-detail-tarps-08l.jpg

Another F-14 scheme I've been wanting to do for a while!

Stay safe

Dave

• Like 13

Nice background story to your particular subject choice Dave :) While the low-viz scheme of this one is nowhere near as spectacular as that applied to the A models initially in VF-2 service it has a smart look all of its own.

Thanks chaps! It's a scheme I've been wanting to do for a while and I only found out recently that the Fightertown sheet had the correct BuNo. Luckily a copy of the sheet popped up on ebay so I had to snap it up!

5 hours ago, desert falcon said:

The only cure is to build more … 😉

You're right there. I've another I'd like to enter but need to be realistic with timescales!

• Like 2

Nice project!!

I do not fully get the story about the connection of close air support urgencies, a British FAC and attacking a moored yacht though... but maybe this was simply a target on were to spend the bombs on before returning to the boat... ;)

Thanks chaps. @exdraken, the yacht was listed as a target as it was believed to have have been using its vast communications suite to direct Iraqi troop movements etc. Plus I'm sure it didn't hurt to knock out the pride of Saddam's fleet!

• Haha 3

I sometimes wondered if the yacht was more a target of psychological than strategic value but either was as you say Dave it did no harm to the effort.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Col. said:

I sometimes wondered if the yacht was more a target of psychological than strategic value but either was as you say Dave it did no harm to the effort.

Could well have been a mixture of that and the communications possibilities.

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I wonder if they put a wee boat kill/mission symbol on the nose?

There doesn't appear to be one on the mission tally!

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 F-14D, BuNo 164350, VF-2 'Bounty Hunters' OIF, 2003. Update 28/03.

Start made with the clock rapidly ticking on this GB! Not a lot done, but assembled the fuel tanks, AIM-9s, MK.82s and TARPS. The latter was sprayed XF-63 German Grey on the internals as per the instructions with the camera lenses gloss black. The MK.82s are from Tamiya's F-14A 'Late' boxing.

51967099633_49a84335f5_b.jpg

Masks on the TARPS are from the comprehensive New Ware set. I also ordered a set of resin wheels, for no other reason than to give them a try.

51967041181_7f0baef1d3_b.jpg

An edge of your seat update! I plan to do little sub assemblies alongside the Mig-21 and once that reaches the painting stage, I can open the taps on this one.

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 7

17 hours ago, DaveJL said:

I plan to do little sub assemblies alongside the Mig-21 and once that reaches the painting stage, I can open the taps on this one.

I aspire to but struggle with this level of modelling multitasking!

6 hours ago, Col. said:

Good to see this one getting underway Dave :) 

Thanks mate!

5 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

I aspire to but struggle with this level of modelling multitasking!

It's tricky at times when you have a sort of OCD about ensuring that parts from the one kit are all located and kept on one side of the desk!

4 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

Great subject! Can never have too many Tomcats, and it has a nice little story with it too. Never mind modelling multitasking, I wouldn't be brave enough to try two builds in one GB!

Thanks Jason.

Managed a few more sub assemblies today while I was working on the Mig. Wings, stabilisers and tail fins:

51969196256_4c9a0fb7f9_b.jpg

Front bomb pallets and wing glove pylons. Tamiya have very accurately depicted the LANTIRN pod pylon as the bracket/mount that attaches the two, is correctly moulded on top of the pod itself, which leaves a gap in the pylon when not fitted.

51969197876_50d8f0b721_b.jpg

I've also no references as to which missile pylon 164350 had fitted on the port shoulder station, but there are images of BuNos 159613, 163894, 163900, and 164342 which all have the LAU-93 Phoenix adaptor fitted so I'd be fairly certain 164350 would have had it fitted too.

Undercarriage bays assembled:

51968194127_36b64a27c8_b.jpg

Upper fuselage with the aux doors and GPS dome fitted. Note the dab of filler needed to erase the defunct slot for an early antenna.  

51969264253_df23f58cab_b.jpg

Forward fuselage halves also had various bits added. Of note here is that 164350 did not have the reinforcement panel around the RIOs boarding step. VF-2s jets also had their refuelling probe doors removed at the commencement of OIF (these apparently had a tendency to break off when tanking!).

51969263288_5566395f54_b.jpg

Can't really do much else without any painting. This is my 8th Tamiya F-14 and they just get better with each build!

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 4

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 F-14D, BuNo 164350, VF-2 'Bounty Hunters' OIF, 2003. Update 29/03.

This thread has *forced* me to go buy a Tamiya 1:48 F-14A, which I fancy doing in the Iranian scheme, so it's all your fault! 😁

Quick question you might know the answer to..  I was looking at the Quinta Studios cockpit decals, but when I went to buy them from their site, it just kept failing and I couldn't do it. Is this just an IT issue on their site, or something to do with sanctions (I think it's a Russian company?)?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jasonb13 said:

This thread has *forced* me to go buy a Tamiya 1:48 F-14A, which I fancy doing in the Iranian scheme, so it's all your fault! 😁

Quick question you might know the answer to..  I was looking at the Quinta Studios cockpit decals, but when I went to buy them from their site, it just kept failing and I couldn't do it. Is this just an IT issue on their site, or something to do with sanctions (I think it's a Russian company?)?

Sorry mate! You won't regret it though!

Re the Quinta set, I think it is to do with the current situation unfortunately. You might get lucky and get a set from a seller on ebay.

• Like 1

I've heard nothing but good things about these kits, and love the F-14, so I thought I'd break the bank!

Yeah, at first I just kept clicking and wondered what was wrong with the site,  but then the penny dropped! Will try other sites, thanks!

7 minutes ago, Jasonb13 said:

I've heard nothing but good things about these kits, and love the F-14, so I thought I'd break the bank!

Yeah, at first I just kept clicking and wondered what was wrong with the site,  but then the penny dropped! Will try other sites, thanks!

I think ebay will be your best bet, I can't see any available from my usual go-to suppliers.

It's worth it mate!  A set of resin seats and some etch canopy mirrors are all you need to set it off. Of course, if you get the Quinta set you won't need the seats if you use the 3D straps!

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2022 at 6:47 PM, arfa1983 said:

Wow. Impressive! 

I very much look forward to my 2nd one for now.

@Jasonb13 you will not regret it. Half my one isn't even glued it just snaps together. 

They're just so nice to build it's rude not to build more :lol:

• Like 1