Sopwith TF-2 Salamander Scratchbuild & TF1 conversion — Finished

3d0a4643-0061-48b7-9db1-eddda8e75513.jpe
I’ve been threatening to build a Salamander for ages so here goes. I have a Mr Craft Camel earmarked as a donor kit, now afaik the Salamander is not all that similar to the camel ( a bit like the Nimrod vs the Fury of the Gladiator vs the Gauntlet) so it may be a case that the wheels snd the engine ( possibly) are the only transferable parts, it may also be the case that it’s easier to make new components, so onwards and we’ll see how we go.

Next step is to organise a set of 1/48 plans. Blueprints.com I think .

8b16f3e4-0c1f-42eb-8210-79428b1aca01.jpe

Since virtually nothing from the Camel matches the Salamander I’m going to make it as a TF1, which is pretty much a standard camel but had a pair of downward facing Lewis guns installed, the twin Vickers removed and a third overwing Lewis as well as 300lbs of armour plate.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 12

Fine subject choice and it's always good to watch one of your scratch-built projects take shape :) Must say though that the Salamander looked more like a camel to me than the Sopwith Camel did.

• Haha 1

I've just Googled it Mark, as it doesn't look much like a ground attack aircraft to me!

So I now know that it was in fact designed specifically for ground attack - complete with an armoured forward fuselage.

Every day's a school day :winkgrin:

Cheers

• Thanks 1

So I’ve scaled my plans and compared my camel and basically the wheels, seat, engine ( although it should be a Bentley for the Salamander) and cowl are the only parts that would be worth reworking. Sooo I think I’ll snag wheels, seats and a Bentlybfrom my homemade resin parts and just scratch the rest. The Camel gets built as a TF 1 ( the TF stood for trench fighter btw)

• Like 2

• Marklo changed the title to Sopwith Salamander Scratchbuild & TF1 conversion

resized_d28da746-b9b6-43dd-b73b-871be9bePlastic has been cut. I’m going to cut a slot in both wings and set a brass rod in then score the wing and set the diehedral, before skinning the wing in lined 10 thou card. It’s the same method I used for the Sage and gives a sturdy result that’s easy to set correctly.

In case you’ve noticed the different wing profile from the plan, I’m modelling one of the early prototypes that had unbalanced ailerons so as to be able to finish it in the experimental camouflage scheme above.

Fuselage blanks next. I’ll probably need to mold a cowl and the foredeck/turtledeck.

On the TF1 front all trenches and molded insignia have been sanded off. Need to find a few extra lewises from the spares box. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

resized_053ad80d-3c61-46bc-b8f3-4aac412fPlastic has been stuck together. The wing blanks need to be shaped and skinned next. I also need to figure out how I’ll handle the ‘cheeks’ and the upper decking. ( probably need to mold both) 

7e480e72-930b-4e13-ae6c-5b86aae3ed60.jpeDefinitely molded and probably multiple parts, quite a complex shape.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

resized_d1ca9eed-3d18-40e2-86dd-98a11dc4
A bit more progress. On the left is the fuselage, now with cowling, and on the right is the start of the buck for the cheeks and upper decking. Also based on the photo above my scale drawings  are clearly incorrect, so I will be shaping the nose area as per the photo not my  plans.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 7

resized_32b2ff92-19f9-49b8-b031-1bf5fe65

Horizontal tail skinned, scribed and attached, cowl nearly finished, just needs a bit of dremelling out and the wings are sanded but not shaped, should be able to get them finished by the weekend.

The buck is finished. I think I’ll split into Tom and two sides for molding. I may get a chance to do some molding tomorrow; the cheeks should plung mold easily enough but I think I’ll Vac the decking.

• Like 5

resized_54ff4057-06aa-43b8-9455-e94cb8f7

split the buck into three and bent for a vac form. I managed to get all three in one go, not perfect as I had some issues with clamping but not bad.

resized_e4f421c0-1fc5-431f-a31a-1241dca1Agtrr a bit of cleanup. The headrest is a little too wide but I’ll fix that with filler and a bit of sanding, otherwise good.

resized_187f7440-2ad6-4726-861e-e021dd67

The upper wing is nearly done.

Probably need to work on the interior next. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Col. said:

I'm not seeing your photos at the moment

Same for me. It looks like the image links are HTTP instead of HTTPS.

Allowing insecure content in the settings will fix it but the links should be updated if possible.

/P

Not sure what is happening I’m not doing anything different (at least I don’t think I am) for now I’m going to assume that either the forum or village photos are changing something and try again tomorrow :) 

• Like 1

• Marklo changed the title to Sopwith TF-2 Salamander Scratchbuild & TF1 conversion
20 hours ago, Toryu said:

Sorry if I missed this: What do you use as skin over the stringers?

I use a variant of the Harry Woodward method of 10 thou card ruled with a ballpoint pen then attached to the shaped blank with double sided sticky tape and ca on the trailing edges.

When ruling the card I make sure to have about three or four sheets of paper under it, this compresses and allows for a fairly deep embossed line from the pen.

It gives a subtle ribbing effect.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...