Airfix Hampden

jean

Great stuff JR

Your rescribing is incredibly neat and tidy, I do admire your patience :like:

I would be far too impatient and would be gluing stuff together right left and centre !

Look forward to seeing the next installment 

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

Great skill and patience in evidence here :) The act of rescribing will add a lot to the overall appearance of your finished model.

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone,

despite Life's anti-modelling attitude, I am reaching the end of the wings' improvements (well, at least I think they are...).

I have marked (on both sides) the position of the supports for the fabric covering of both flaps and ailerons.

Now all I need to do is glue some thin lengths of stretched sprue over the pencil marks.

Hampden Photo 8

Then will come the reshaping of the wing tips and the fairing of the wheel wells.

I realize that I knew very little about the Hampden; this is a fascinating and steep learning curve.

Have fun.

JR

• Like 10

Following  the marking of all the stringers, I decided to try something that would be quicker and possibly more even than stretched sprue. I am using 0.5 mm wide plastic strips.

Once dry I will trim the extra length and then sandpaper the strips to reduce both their thickness and width.

If I am happy with the final result, I will carry on. If not I will remove everything and go back to plan A and the thin stretched sprue!

I really hope I am happy with it...

Here is a photo of the work in progress:

Hampden Photo 9

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 8

Hi everyone,

here is the result of my attempt to transform the moving wing surfaces from metal covered (as suggested by Saint Airfix) to fabric covered (as they should be).

After a serious sand papering of the plastic strips I glued and a coat of primer, I am not unhappy with the result.

It is possibly still exaggerated and I need to sand everything down a bit more, but once that is done and after a couple of coats of paints, it should be acceptable.

Definitely better than the plethora of rivets initially displayed!

I will treat the ailerons with thin stretched sprue and then I will be able to compare in situ which method works best.

Here is a photo:

Hampden Photo 10

I will need as well to pass a scriber in the panel lines to clean them up, and be careful not to break the landing gear that has to be fitted at this point, unfortunately.

Have fun!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

the wing elements have been glued, including the ailerons where I have used stretched sprue to represent the structure. Not bad, but the stretched sprue should be even thinner. 

The fit of the parts is not the best, and I realized too late that there is too big a gap between aileron and wing... So I may have to removee the ailerrons and reglue then right against the wing, and then I will have to remove a fraction of the trailing edge to bring everything level!

The never ending story!

Here is a photo of the wing:

Hampden Photo 11

Keep having fun!

JR

• Like 5

I eventually did what I threatened to do: I removed the ailerons and re-glued them flush with the wings and trimmed the trailing edge so that everything would align.

I looks much better that way, or so I think...

I tackled as well the wing tips, far too rounded in view of the photos I have looked at. So a good sandpapering did the trick and then I notched the two wing tips lights. Because I was a bit too overenthusiastic with the forward one, I glues a shim of plastic card, since then filed to the wing profile.

Last, I started on the wheel wells, building sides to avoid the usual cavernous look. Front and rear of the wells to follow.

Hampden Photo 12

This is ridiculously slow progress, but I always said that if one day I were to build a Hampden, I would not rush it.

So I am happy!

Have fun.

JR

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...