Revell (ex Hasegawa) 1/72 B-25 J Mitchell - COMPLETED 15/05/2022

Placeholder for my entry, need to finish up my F/A-18A GB first though. 

20220116_200620

Revell rebox of the Hasegawa kit. Got an Eduard masking set on its way, because nobody ain't got time for that, and a set of Brassin wheels because the kit ones look a bit meh to me. Going for the box art OD/NG plane. 

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
  • Like 16

Totally following this one. That was one of the first kits I did during my Second Age of Scale Modelling (age 40-42), long since lost and I've failed to turn up another Revell boxing in the meantime. I've got hold of a Hasegawa original but there's an all-metal OOB scheme in the Revell version that's a beaut. (I think Eduard did a whistles-and-bells new boxing recently that no doubt instantly devalued all those Hasegawa on eBay at silly money!)

13 hours ago, Col. said:

didn't realise it was a rebox of the Hasegawa kit :) 

Honestly, Revell reboxed a metric crap ton of Hasegawa kits in the early 2000's. Got a He-111 H-6 on its way to me, and desperately trying to get hold of the A-7 and Hs 129 they did. 

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
Infop
  • Like 1

OOooh... :P  Nice decal options in that one. 

The box-art one is supposedly a late/postwar one, according to the Scalemates info. 

38 BG, 71st Bomb Squadron
"The Wolf Pack" - based from Okinawa mid 1945. Still in Japan December 1945 as part of occupying forces.

Bit confused with the ML-KNIL one, that's supposed to be a glass-nose without upper turret. 

12 hours ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

Honestly, Revell reboxed a metric crap ton of Hasegawa kits in the early 2000's. Got a He-111 H-6 on its way to me, and desperately trying to get hold of the A-7 and Hs 129 they did. 

I have the He-111. Asking myself why I’m not chucking it at this GB now 😂

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im a huge Mitchell fan please let me know if you need help with anything ? 

Sweet! Do you have a pic of the cockpit seats, specifically the seatbelts? Did they just use lap belts or the full shoulder belts too? My Google Fu is weak, and can't find pics from the period, only restored examples. 

3 hours ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

Sweet! Do you have a pic of the cockpit seats, specifically the seatbelts? Did they just use lap belts or the full shoulder belts too? My Google Fu is weak, and can't find pics from the period, only restored examples. 

Let me take a look through my stuff. I will get back to you asap. 

• Thanks 1

Its almost as if all the original photos disappeared ? All thats left is warbirds. Ok this is what I could find fast, this is from an earlier model. Its missing the lower port armored window.

mCTgzvX.jpg

This is also earlier but it does show full belts ?  You’ll have to pinch & zoom in.

mwduMTh.jpg

Various configurations for B-25J’s with glass noses, not sure if that’ll help you ? 

oVIIW4Q.jpg

Give me more time its 04:30 here and Ive been up since 10:00 am yesterday. I’ll get back at it when I wake up and keep digging through my stuff. 

Dennis

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Corsairfoxfouruncle, that's helpful. So the shoulder belts attach behind the seat, restored birds show them attaching to a rail mounted on the cockpit roof. If you can find a better pic, please share! Looks like I can use THESE I have floating around without wasting bits! 

If your curious how everything looks, watched the following build video August of last year, and never thought I would actually be able to buy it a scant 2 months later by chance, for practically zero money (which I'm sure is everyone's favourite type of kit)! I do need to point out this kit has a solid styrene nose included, no glass nose at all that I can see. What that means in the world of B-25's, no idea. I just want it for the obscene amount of Dakka it put out! :mg:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

I do need to point out this kit has a solid styrene nose included, no glass nose at all that I can see. What that means in the world of B-25's, no idea.

I will keep looking for photo’s as soon as I get into my office. The B-25J cane from the factory with one of two noses. The solid 8 gun (.50 cal) nose used as a dedicated strafer. Then there were the standard nosed bombers which could either be used as a bomber or add guns to the glazing per the diagram I posted. Or even have the bomber nose removed and replaced in the field with an 8 gun solid nose in the form of a kit. Oddly enough Im doing the original prototype strafer as field modified B-25C which was flown and modified by Paul “Pappy” Gunn in the Southwest Pacific Theatre.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I was curious will you be doing the kits scheme, or do you have something else in mind ? If you're aren't sure let me know the gun nosed version wore sone interesting camouflage and nose art. 

Going to use the kit scheme, getting AM decals at this point won't be happening.  

Thanks for the seat pics, makes my life slightly easier!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Going to start getting this bad boy on the go, still waiting for some stuff to arrive for this and my Hornet so going to get a head start. 

Sexy sprue shots incoming! 

20220201_193410

Decal sheet looks good for its age. 

20220201_193220

20220201_193326

That's quite a bit of plastic. Engraved panel lines look quite sharp, so do the details. The only really minor niggle I have is the instrument panel has no molded detail, relying on a decal for the dials and buttons. It's 1/72 though so should be fine. The seats have molded on lap belts, but going to remove that and use some Eduard PE belts I have floating around, set SS586 for anyone curious. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

The only really minor niggle I have is the instrument panel has no molded detail, relying on a decal for the dials and buttons.

The B-25’s dash overhangs the I.P. And with a very heavy framed canopy not much will be seen. That is unless you're planning on opening the escape hatch on the canopy ?  😉

Insides painted and awaiting a final flat coat (and decals).

Used Mr Color C351 FS34151 Interior Green, with a heavy drybrush of VMA Yellow Zinc Chromate. Other minor bits painted with VMA and Metal Color. A wash of Mr Weathering Ground Brown was used, first time I'm trying it but I liked it. 

20220206_160200

• Like 14

39 minutes ago, Toryu said:

This interior weathering effect is so very well done that I really hate to say that B-25s were NM inside, IMHO 😟 Sorry, sorry, sorry! But nevermind - Several years ago I painted mine zinc chromate inside and nobody ever complained.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/02/stuff_eng_interior_colours_us_part2.htm

J models had Interior Green throughout, other variants were different too. Tis a bit confusing!

What isn't helping is the history of this machine. I *think* it was sold/loaned/leased to another nation based on its serial number and returned for the final push against Japan in 1945. But not 100% sure on that either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

What isn't helping is the history of this machine. I *think* it was sold/loaned/leased to another nation based on its serial number and returned for the final push against Japan in 1945. But not 100% sure on that either. 

Per our conversation the other day Im pretty sure you're correct. I believe it to be one of the Mitchell III’s returned to the USAAF. If you can find a source showing RAF to USAAF Serials 44-30853 may cross reference to one of these on the returned list ?

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_bombers/b25_22.html

Just for good measure I checked RAAF, Dutch, USN, and Chinese lists but none quite get to close. The complete list is here. 

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_bombers/b25.html

And then there are the others Ive checked. 

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_bombers/b25_24.html

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_bombers/b25_23.html

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_bombers/b25_19.html

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_bombers/b25_26.html

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle