p51 mustang stardust

my next modelling adventure, an eduard 1/48 scale p51-d mustang painted in the stardust livery.

first time trying mr color paints and a metal finish.

heIjJO8.jpg

cojZQPc.jpg

3MMJUDJ.jpg

h9Wq01b.jpg

vWZjLGw.jpg

NDhQDuq.jpg

1GxR5ob.jpg

its all went pretty well soon far, not overly impressed with the decals though.

thanks for looking,

ken

• Like 7

Looks pretty good so far 👍

The question I always ask myself on weathering is how much work has this airframe done?  How old is it at the moment modelled, and what kind of operational life has it had?  Once you know that, it’s easy to decide if you’re going to go to town on weathering or keep a light touch.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

rather boring and over due update, been a bit breezy 😉 so can't open the window or ventilation for painting.

mr surfacer 1500 black primer on, first time i've used this and happy with it.

Ns71S9P.jpg

IXMOClk.jpg

aA6uLZX.jpg

nmf next, keen to see how that goes.

thanks for looking

ken

• 2 weeks later...

first attempt at nmf and i have to say that i'm delighted with it.

wasn't totally sure where the colours change on the underside because they are covered with the invasion stripes, so took a guess.

probably wrong, but will be covered so not a big deal.

3Bk1XMC.jpg

dBrvBM4.jpg

nCyTCkR.jpg

XAlS9qd.jpg

lq8YQyQ.jpg

qDMlZWl.jpg

thanks for looking

ken

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

building work at home is holding me back, but i keep plodding along.

stripes added, happy with those.

star and bar added via a vinyl mask, not at all happy with them, will probably sand off and go with the decals.

not that bad for a first attempt, but not happy with them.

can't find a tutorial for masks, any suggestions?

YID0RMz.jpg

ebUFNcr.jpg

n7au7VF.jpg

pvybqBy.jpg

83BgxmM.jpg

rYJ8mgl.jpg

lbmhof5.jpg

thanks for looking, all comments and suggestions welcome,

ken

What happened to the fuselage insignia ? They look a s if they haven't settled down properly ? Also, I don't know whether you've noticed, but  your underwing roundel is upside down ? Really like he "Metal " finish, though. Just thought I'd point out the underwing decal issue for you, which should be an easy fix, and it is no way a criticism of your model. Believe me, I've made boo boos like that before ! :cheers:

The key with vinyl masks is to be very precise in the placement as you transition from one colour to the next.  It appears that you’ve let them slip and/or lift and/or misaligned them as you went.  One thing that helps is to seal the gaps between mask elements with liquid mask as you go, which prevents bleeding through one colour over the next.  Also, it looks like you’ve applied the paint quite wet; I find it very important to keep the coats thin and land them dry as I spray which prevents bleed through as well as build up along the edges.

It’s definitely a learned skill, and you’re attempting the hardest insignia right off the bat (at least I find the US to be the hardest) so don’t give up, the results are really worth the effort when you nail it.  I’ve painted all the markings icon my current Avenger and the results are far superior to decals.

• Like 1