Henschel 126 (PK-26, 1974-5) - Finished

The Hanomag is nearly done, so I’ve dug this one out from the deep stash. My father and I had a project (alas never completed) to build a rubber powered flying model of the type when I was a teenager, and I built the Airfix version as my first kit when I returned to modelling some 12 years ago, so I have a soft spot for the type.

So, what do you get? This:

84-AFCAF8-FD77-41-A7-8-AA0-1-F6-E05-D474

DAE7145-A-1536-48-D0-95-F6-BC309-D89-D43

Note the two sets of decals, packing error, better than no sets.

Translucent green plastic!

74-FE2236-DA69-4-AEF-8-C86-59062-EACBB38

The Matchbox detail fairy brought this for the cockpit:

33493-C33-5-C7-E-43-DE-BA22-6-EB45-B934-

I have wheeled in my “Adrianmf Industries Universal Cockpit Upgrade Set” (TM):

B107-EDA4-479-A-4-E0-F-A065-3-CC44-B6-E8

All installed, some of the upgrade parts needed a bit of trimming here and there but no sidewall thinning was required:

0-B81555-C-A94-F-4-B51-940-C-80-DCF4-CEC

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 40

2 hours ago, John_W said:

Nice work.

Are you going to correct the wing struts?  Apparently they locate too high on the fuselage.

The Italeri kit has the same problem, only it's considerably worse. The bases of the wing struts should be level with the tops of the undercarriage legs. AFAIK, only the Airfix kit gets this correct.

I am also planning to build this kit, and I will probably just live with this, given how the base strut attachment points are molded.

I certainly won't be able to compete with that cockpit though. Anything I do would have to be completely scratchbuilt, and/or involve repurposed parts from the spare box.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John_W said:

Nice work.

Are you going to correct the wing struts?

Thanks, and no.

There are a bunch of things wrong with this kit, as indeed there are with the Airfix kit, which was my first “adult” build over a decade ago:

351-E5-C48-7-BF8-4110-86-E2-F7-BF020-AC7

The strut location on the fuselage is 2mm higher on the Matchbox kit.

I’ve added the cockpit detail because it was fun, and I may tone down some of the panel lines before paint, but I’m going to stay in the Matchbox groove and not get too carried away.

I’m enjoying the positive fit and I’m ignoring the simplifications and inaccuracies. This kit has been in deep stash for years because I wouldn’t start here if I wanted an accurate Henschel 126!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 24

35 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I’m enjoying the positive fit and I’m ignoring the simplifications and inaccuracies. This kit has been in deep stash for years because I wouldn’t start here if I wanted an accurate Henschel 126!

Regards,

Adrian

My sentiments exactly.

BTW, have you decided the camouflage scheme yet?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klr said:

The Italeri kit has the same problem, only it's considerably worse.

Ah, good to know! Neither Airfix nor Matchbox are error free (there’s a big issue with the Airfix wings). I wonder if there’s scope for an Airfix-Italeri mashup in search of a more accurate 126? 

50 minutes ago, klr said:

BTW, have you decided the camouflage scheme yet?

I’m going for the desert scheme overpainted on top of 65/70/71, as per the back of the box.

BTW, it’s ready for paint after that canopy has had a dip in some polish:

7-E94-CFDA-3-F04-4-A26-B250-C5-D4-A0-E61

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 23

that cockpit is incredible! I'm not saying it looks easy, but it is definitely inspiring to think you can whip that up out of a bunch of plastic card. I will try next time I have a sparse cockpit on a kit. 

Looking forward to seeing your finished model!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent work on the cockpit interior. This brings back some memories as I remember buying one on Saturday afternoon and building it (without paint) while watching Tom Baker as The Doctor in The Brain of Morbius, which would put it in January '76. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, bianfuxia said:

I'm not saying it looks easy

It’s easier than it looks, even easier if you have some strip and rod. I chop up all the bits, then put a coat of cement on the fuselage side or bulkhead, then pick up the items with the tip of a knife and push them into place. A dry brush of lighter colour and a wash of matt varnish+black makes it all pop. Dials are paint on the end of a cocktail stick, lettering and indicators are scratched in the paint with a pin. 

20 minutes ago, TimJ said:

I remember buying one on Saturday afternoon and building it (without paint)

My gap between buying and building was a lot longer! The plastic colour scheme actually works pretty well on this one (but I’m going to paint it anyway :)).

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 7

Yet again Adrian you have paid lip service to all those After Market manufacturers out there. That scratch cockpit is incredible, however one should always expect a pleasant surprise with every post you publish. This Hs126 is going to be a stunner and not being an expert on the type I'm enjoying the various comparison and kit commentary of the other Hs 126 kits. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apart from too few wings and no rigging, this is a cracker! I love the detail you have put in the cockpit, and so visible too! If only I was just as sensible...

I always liked this aircraft and I am looking forward to seeing your progress.

Ray

Edited by Ray S
Tidy the post
  • Thanks 1

I’ve given it a light grey undercoat and got some RLM 65 on the undersides:

B1919194-A9-F7-4-E2-E-8-E48-64-B024-BDF0

So I’m starting with winter(ish) camouflage, going to paint European 70/71 and then overpaint with desert scheme. Covering all the bases!

• Like 20

Great stuff Adrian, once again making the difficult look really easy.

As an alternative you could combine all the bad bits of the Matchbox Italeri and Airfix kits into a WHIF of painful inaccuracy :laugh:

• Haha 2

Stunning work in the cockpit. I will nick your ideas when I build this one again one day. The previous one I built ended up being blow off of a tray in the car park at a very windy RAF Cosford Museum on the way in to a model show a few years back. It was nowhere near the quality of your build Adrian but it was still disappointing to see it dashed to pieces on the floor and then blown under a car where I just left it as I couldn't reach it and could see how much damage was done! Watching your build makes me want another.

Edited by beany
  • Sad 4

15 hours ago, Natter said:

cockpit is marvellous squared

Thanks! Swings and roundabouts, read on…

Are we nearly there yet? Well, I was cleaning up a pretty hopeless layer of floor polish off the canopy with window cleaner and my customary feather-light touch when I heard a snapping noise… I suspect the canopy is a goner so I’ve made a former for a replacement vacform:

5698-A6-E9-0360-41-B4-838-A-2-D3-CD78560

C’est la vie, or “So ist das Leben” I guess

• Like 13

20 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

So ist das Leben

Das Leben ist eine S*******e, und dann stirbst du. But we can cheer ourselves up along the way by making models! Good luck with the recovery, we watch and wait.

• Haha 1

On 22/01/2022 at 16:48, Natter said:

Back in 2014 I built one of these

Beautiful! Although, to be fair, I think it’s a lot better than “OOB as Lesney intended”.

Regards,

Adrian

[edit Lesney autocorrects to Leslie! Who woulda thunk?]

• Thanks 1