Eduard (Hasegawa) 1/72 B-26B Marauder 'Hard to Get' 9th AF

I have the same kit - for around ten years, but have been too timid to start it. reason being this is one of my absolute favourite aircraft of all time and I don't want to stuff-it-up. That said, your build is really inspiring and may just force me to start cutting plastic sometime very soon. Thanks for sharing / posting, and if mine turns-out half as nice as your build, I'll be a very happy modeller !!

Best from NZ.

Ian.

• Like 1

Blimey, that is outstanding Neil, even by your high standards. Absolutely beautiful weathering, and all that detail in the undercarriage and bomb bays, wow.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 4:52 AM, Mick Drover said:

Cracking stuff Neil. Did you use all of that glorious PE detail or did you give it a miss where not needed? I have the kit and it looks like there's plenty of small PE parts to be lost.

Great scheme too.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks for all the kind comments guys, quite fancy doing another one in all silver next time. 

Mick, I didn't use all the PE lol! That stuff sends my Tourette's into overdrive 🤣 

Yep, that's stunning. Really well used but not overdone with the effects, a great balance that looks hard to get right.

37 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Thanks for all the kind comments guys, quite fancy doing another one in all silver next time

I'm sure you'll have plenty of admirers for that if you choose to do so 😃

• Like 1

@woody37,

As the others have aid, that's  one beautifully done Marauder; the undersides, especially the  remnants of the Invasion stripes, look like the real thing! As you probably found out while researching this build, Martin received a waiver from the USAAF to dispense with the exterior zinc chromate  primer as a time and weight saving measure, which is one reason why painted Marauders showed such a huge amount of paint chipping and erosion. Couldn't find a decent photo of the upper surfaces of your subject to show what the invasion stripes looked like, but wouldn't the upper surfaces of the wings also show remnants of the Invasion stripes, or fresh OD where they were overpainted? Just curious!

Mike

Here's her history, in case you didn't already know it- she was a B-26B-50 MA (data via Joe Baugher's website.)

95903 (497th BS, 344th BG, 9th AF) in landing accident at Florennes/Juzaine Airfield A-78 Florennes Belgium. All crew survived, aircraft badly damaged, unknown if repaired.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 9:01 PM, 72modeler said:

@woody37,

As the others have aid, that's  one beautifully done Marauder; the undersides, especially the  remnants of the Invasion stripes, look like the real thing! As you probably found out while researching this build, Martin received a waiver from the USAAF to dispense with the exterior zinc chromate  primer as a time and weight saving measure, which is one reason why painted Marauders showed such a huge amount of paint chipping and erosion. Couldn't find a decent photo of the upper surfaces of your subject to show what the invasion stripes looked like, but wouldn't the upper surfaces of the wings also show remnants of the Invasion stripes, or fresh OD where they were overpainted? Just curious!

Mike

Here's her history, in case you didn't already know it- she was a B-26B-50 MA (data via Joe Baugher's website.)

95903 (497th BS, 344th BG, 9th AF) in landing accident at Florennes/Juzaine Airfield A-78 Florennes Belgium. All crew survived, aircraft badly damaged, unknown if repaired.

Yes, researching Marauder colours was a bit of a minefield, I'd read that they or at least some never had primer. I'd come across a 1/48 build of the aircraft that had shadows of the stripes on the upper surfaces and was tempted to do them, but chose not to in the end, although don't know if I got it correct. They moved the olive drab demarcation line up on the rear of the aircraft mid service, so there may of been more involved then just washing the stripes off. 

They make for great modelling subjects for weathering practice!

Neil, in a few words here`s how I would describe this masterpiece from you………..

1. Beautiful

2. Superb

3. Outstanding

4. Perfect

5. All of the above

:goodjob: :like:

Mike

• woody37 changed the title to Eduard (Hasegawa) 1/72 B-26B Marauder 'Hard to Get' 9th AF