Fairey Gannet AEW3 1/48

Hi All.

Here is my first completed model for the year 2022.

Over 20 years after finishing Dynavector's 1/48 Vacformed Gannet AS1 we finally have a kit of the AEW3 and I have managed to build it.

Like many others, I expected Dynavector to release one of these as many of the bits in the ASW Gannet could have been reused but alas it was not to be. I built the Dynavector ASW Gannet in about 2002 and waited for the AEW but nothing has been heard from Dynavector for a few years.  Special Hobby announced an AEW3 about 10 years ago but still nothing in plastic so when I heard about a resin kit made by Alan Wilson here on BM I decided to fill the gap and ordered one. I've had it about 18 months so here it is finished.

IMG_9021

The Radar operators doors are open as I scratch built a complete interior. See the WIP thread (link and the Bottom) for whats inside!

IMG_9026

Arestor hook replaced by an old white metal hook from Aeroclub lengthened with a sewing needle.

IMG_9029

The kit cockpit canopy was clear resin which presented a few issues as expected. Quite a bit of material needed to be taken off the inside of the windscreen and coaming to allow a good fit without having to repolish the clear parts. Having the rear section of the canopy open was driven by the 3 supplied in the kit all being very thick and having air bubbles. I figured the air bubbles would be less noticable with the canopy open. However the thickness of the resin left it perched unrealistically on top of the fuselage. I decided to plunge mould a new one and got it right on the 4th attempt. This is paper thin and very fragile.

IMG_9032

The kit decals are useful only as a template. The roundels came from Xtradec, the serials were home printed and the bee was drawn from scratch then home printed.

IMG_9038

Sitting on Ark Royal's waist catapult August 1978?

The aerial fit is dated for August 1978, lines are EZ line.

IMG_9056

The 1/48 Gannet collection is now looking like this.

IMG_9053

Thansk for looking More pictures at the WIP in the link below.

• Like 40

On 1/18/2022 at 9:13 AM, exdraken said:

I assume that was rather challenging to build!

Actually it was a really well thought out and quite comprehensive kit. Certainly not the most challenging resin kit out there.

Thanks for the great comments @RMCS, @wellsprop @cngaero. I love looking at dioramas when I go to shows but space is too limited for many 1/48th aircraft dioramas so I like to just do them for the pictures! Glad you liked them.