Mikromir Handley Page Victor B1

48 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Started? This model (and I don't mean the B.2) is nearly ready! 

Well the wings are all tape, no glue at the moment; to be successful with a Mikromir kit everything has to be done very carefully so I'm checking for any areas which may cause faults. I also still need to figure out what I'm going to do with the wings.... the more I look at them with the strip of tape marking where I could cut off the leading edges and reshape them the more I want to do it! 

52 minutes ago, Toryu said:

How will you strap hamster Victor into the Victor?

Not entirely sure but it will go something like this:

IMG_20220120_195737

He wouldn't sit still for photo on the Victor 😡

• Haha 4

Great day of gliding today, actually had good enough weather to fly this week. It's been two months since I've been flying so I thought I'd be terribly out of practice... and I'm a complete surprise to the instructor, and to myself, I flew just about the best I've flown in the whole time I've been learning.... until a slightly rough landing.

One I can't fly, our single seater

78ba7fd66edb1dd57730ad48e63ea893.jpg

And one I can fly! Our Grob 103a Acro 

94609b1e225e3b3b8af1c3947c9b51b8.jpg

2caa22868017126139b1826bb7716a7b.jpg

• Like 8

12 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

I'm pretty sure these were not used for ground attack! 

I wouldn't be so sure, apparently there was a near miss on Saturday when someone nearly walked out in front of one! Might qualify then!

Anyway, I got back from gliding last night but was too tired to do any modelling. Work has resumed this afternoon, starting by removing and untaping the wings; I've decided to do the leading edge modifications.

All material forward of the tape running just behind the leading edge needs to go.

IMG_20220124_133903650_HDR

First leading edge taken back. Next job is to do the other one and then I need to fill all the unnecessary panel lines and scribe in new ones

IMG_20220124_140420074_HDR

• Like 7

• Adam Poultney changed the title to Mikromir Handley Page Victor B1

Both wings have been sanded back and are awaiting further refinement. Might get that done today but I really need to get on with some uni work.

The centre wing section and intakes are now glued in place but everything else remains taped for now.

IMG_20220124_200301711_HDR

IMG_20220124_200307141_HDR

IMG_20220124_200325084_HDR~2

IMG_20220124_200942509_HDR

There's some damage at the back of the tail so I'll have to fix that at some point.

IMG_20220124_200958789_HDR

• Like 8

Aaaand back off to uni again.

Got things today and tomorrow, then I'm gliding at the weekend. Not much point in coming home for Thursday evening and most of Friday so I'm staying at uni. The build will resume on Monday. 

• Like 1

After a successful week at uni doing machining which I won't have to do again and then a semi-successful weekend of gliding it's time to get back to this thread.

I say a semi-successful weekend of gliding because we had to cancel on Saturday due to dangerously high wind, but on Sunday weather was very good for gliding and we got plenty of time in the air. Despite it being a very busy day at the gliding club, everyone got up and we had time for some people to go up again. I got five flights in, the first three with one of the more experienced instructors at the club who used to work on Canberras, he was telling me about the way early Canberra engines sometimes didn't like to throttle up when told to. 

Started the day on retrieve, don't mind that job as it's warm inside the land rover! And later on I went back on to listen to the first half of Tigers Vs Sale- which Tigers were winning comfortablly at half time when u went back in the air and by the time I checked the score again they were 9 points down! 

IMG-20220130-WA0002

Launch failure... iirc this was a practice one, so at least there wasn't a broken cable like we had last week.

160377446826f47d9083ad27f7c57d91.jpg

And here's one in the cockpit. You might notice that this isn't the same glider as last week, due to how busy it was we had five gliders and the tug out so I got to fly one of the club owned K21s rather than the uni's Acro. As much as I do like our Acro, this flies better and is so much nicer to get in and out of!

IMG_20220130_160857029_HDR

And it has RAF roundels which we can't put on the uni owned ones

IMG_20220130_131632400_HDR

Right, anyway back to what we're all here for: the Victor. Lots of filler around those intakes, and after this photo I started dealing with the panel lines and gaps around the outer leading edge that need to go.

IMG_20220131_143022622_HDR

At the tail end I've made new airbrake fins from sheet plastic. There's nothing wrong with the upper ones in the kit aside from the etch being a bit awkward and easy to knock off, but the lower ones provided are identical to the upper ones when they should be much different.

IMG_20220131_143038256_HDR

In this thread you can see the kit parts used:

• Like 8

1 minute ago, 81-er said:

Out of curiosity Adam, what course are you doing at uni that let's you go gliding?

James

I'm on mEng Aerospace Engineering, but the gliding club is open to all students as it's a sports club like archery, rugby or cycling. I think most of our members are Aerospace students but there are a lot from physics and oddly a few law students.

• Thanks 1

An interesting thread Adam, nice work going on there. I'm especially interested as I'm guessing I'll have to modify my one of this kit if I want it to represent the 90sqn ones that visited our shores in the early 1960s (64?) & overflew our town, quite a big deal back then, I was 9. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hewy said:

Looking good adam 👍, i see airfix are re releasing the 72nd victor this year

Yes I'm looking forward to seeing some builds, but I've already got four of them and at the new £72 price I think I'll give it a miss. Might have been tempted to add another to the stash if it had more decal schemes, or included the K2/SR2 parts....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stevehnz said:

An interesting thread Adam, nice work going on there. I'm especially interested as I'm guessing I'll have to modify my one of this kit if I want it to represent the 90sqn ones that visited our shores in the early 1960s (64?) & overflew our town, quite a big deal back then, I was 9. :)

Steve.

90 Sqn Victors? I know that operated Valiants but I didn't think they ever had Victors.

I did do a 90 Sqn Valiant last year though, based on an improved diecast model.

PSX_20210802_154217

So, last night's progress was mainly just applying a very thick layer of filler to the leading edge. Lots of panel lines need to be gone without a trace. Unfortunately I discovered that I have run out of sandpaper of an appropriate grit so I need to wait for more to be delivered, should be coming today from Amazon. 

I also added the nose probe which is a very annoying little piece. Almost lost it, and then it's so small it's best impossible to clean up properly.

IMG_20220201_131646184_HDR

I don't think there will be too much work on this today, I have a lot of work for my aerodynamics module that needs doing this week so I'm going to try and get as much of that done as possible today.

I'll be happy with having the panel lines sorted this evening, and the nose probe properly cleaned up if I haven't broken it by then. 

I'm aiming to have this model completed on Friday, I want to be back in Nottingham at the weekend to go gliding again. I'll set a rough goal for each remaining step of the build now.

Today: get the wings done. If possible fix the short shot tail parts in the evening.

Wednesday: fix the short shot tail parts of not already done, final clean up on other parts of the model that need it and have the landing gear assembled

Thursday: all the main painting, so the gloss white, the radomes, the metal details, painted canopy parts

Friday: decals, varnish and panel line wash, add pitots made from old guitar strings

Saturday: back to Notts in the evening

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

90 Sqn Victors? I know that operated Valiants but I didn't think they ever had Victors.

I did do a 90 Sqn Valiant last year though, based on an improved diecast model.

I might be misremembering the squadron, I think you're right, it was maybe a 90 sqn Valiant that Len Trent VC frightened the tripe out of me with a low pass over Nelson when I was 3. I think it was a couple of 100 sqn Victors visited New Zealand in '64? Maybe. :shrug:

Steve.

• Like 2

If I don't get this finished by the time I go back to uni at the weekend, I'll put this to one side for a while. I have a new timetable for this term which means I can't come home on a Monday evening and stay until Wednesday evening like I could on my previous timetable. The week after next week likely be inordinately busy, and after that it's full time lectures as usual. This isn't really the sort of kit I want to take to uni, far too many delicate parts on a Mikromir Victor to want to transport it around.

I do however have an Airfix 1/72 Stuka in my uni stash (yes, I started a seperate stash at uni!) which I will probably enter into this group build at some point, if I have time to build it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I might be misremembering the squadron, I think you're right, it was maybe a 90 sqn Valiant that Len Trent VC frightened the tripe out of me with a low pass over Nelson when I was 3. I think it was a couple of 100 sqn Victors visited New Zealand in '64? Maybe. :shrug:

Steve.

Yes, 100 Sqn did visit NZ, but I'm not sure it was 1964. The bottom image is captioned as a the ill-fated XM714, which crashed in 1963. 

5dVyuAc.jpg

Image borrowed from this thread

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235013418-handley-page-victor-b1-and-2-differences/page/2/

That could be so too. I recall being alerted to it's coming by our teacher who took us outside to see it pass over. I had the same teacher in 62 & 64 so possibly 62. I'll need to check that out some more. Thanks for putting those photos up. Good luck with your aerodynamics module.

Steve.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

That could be so too. I recall being alerted to it's coming by our teacher who took us outside to see it pass over. I had the same teacher in 62 & 64 so possibly 62. I'll need to check that out some more. Thanks for putting those photos up. Good luck with your aerodynamics module.

Steve.

Do update when you find out which year it was. Wish I could have been around to see these things flying, instead now the RAF seems to only want to fly things painted in the colour I like to call Boring Standard Grey... As much as I do like a Voyager or Atlas they don't quite compare to the likes of the Victor or Vulcan....

Ok well maybe if they put a proper camo scheme on the Atlases then it would be on a par with the V Force but it will never be until they do that.

Meanwhile.... can't study to build the real things without a model on the desk. That's an absolute rule. Always a model on or around my desk

ddcc2d3023aafce0b9d3df9d8e7c6c1d.jpg

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 3