Eduard (Zvezda) 1:48 Hind D +++ FINISHED +++

Thanks a lot! Hanging on the masks after using them for the first time was a good idea, and it was fairly easy to reapply them, as the black was a good guideline. If I could see any black, the mask wasn't on correctly!

Finally got the touch-ups done last night - more masking and bits of re-spraying etc. but got the little bits done. Felt good to take off all the masks and bits of tape and know that it was time for a gloss coat.

Then I knocked over a small dropper bottle of thinners, some of it landed on the end of the side pod and now I have this...

QQIpHUgVo7dHkXobZHm2q67ZbtPEQGKn7QgvC7wb

It managed to catch all three colours, of course, so now I'm back to masking and spraying again! 🙄

• Sad 3

Well, I'm too tidy for that! :)

Got home yesterday evening, took the masks back out of their bag and with some careful masking got that little area fixed. Painted some details (nav lights etc.) and was just about to give it a gloss coat when I tilted the model a certain way and the light caught the fuselage underneath the "wing"...

elkr_TR8GTDYp7LGGvyYAKEHiZEHqaxexTKZ7FCl

Another bloody drop from the thinners (it's the same side as the side pod that got hit). So... I got out the bloody masks again (there was language I can tell you!) and did some more careful masking and spraying! With that sorted I had a really good look around, and I actually did find another small drop on the inside of one of the pylons, but it's barely visible so that one *is* going to be an oil stain! :)

After all that, I finally, finally got a gloss coat on it...

QJTwSNCpICty2wd4wi9VhpjcF7PLJ3YDh7tRMyRc

And that's where we are now. For the fuselage, decals are next. But I also have lots of other jobs to do as well, so I'm not sure which I'll tackle first, I'll see! So glad to be finally finished painting the scheme though, assuming I don't mess it up again.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

It really does look good with the gloss over it. This one's going to be a really fine machine when it's done, and quite a feature on the shelf :)

James

• Thanks 1

Thanks! It is getting there alright, though I'm going to have to find a shelf for it!

I had an hour or so spare yesterday, so I decided to do the decals. I said I wanted something to go smoothly and the decals delivered! :) Firstly, only about 14 to put on, the advantage of doing a special scheme is that there are no stencils, so that saved me 50 or so decals.

And the decals themselves behaved really well and went down nicely. I'm especially happy with the "zipper teeth" decals on the demarcation between the camo and the tiger stripes, they worked really well and Eduard are clever enough to give you two of each decal. This came in handy, as I needed to add one individual "tooth" to each side to get zipper lined up perfectly, and I was able to cut those teeth from the spare decals.

Anyhow, it's now having its final bit of Microsoft after cutting the decals along what few panel lines there are, and it's not looking too bad...

nXABMSVFyuL-dpfO0mk_FoNkcJGKnkOEEko9qb60

asK1aaGzsz2UPgvSeSBvosZRJZt33dLd_S8VcXsG

I am toying with the idea of spraying a very thin coat of the lightest camo colour over the whole model, to blend the colours in a little and fade them too, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not. I've done it with camo on armour models, but never on an aircraft. It would remove some of the "newness" from the finish, especially on the decals. What do ye all think?

I might get a little done this evening, but basically I'm gonna be away from the bench for a few days, so it's good to get the decals on before my short break. Have the final paints I need ordered too, they might be here by the time I'm back at the bench, but even if they're not I've plenty to keep me going.

• Like 5

I would leave the decals as they are; a special scheme is more likely to have been kept fresh even after a while.

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot. And after looking at a couple of pics on the real scheme, I've decided to leave it alone, it's fairly clean in the pics.

Have been busy with this, but it feels like there's not a lot to show for it, as there are so many small jobs! You know the way near the end of a build there are lots of little bits to be stuck on? Well, I've learned that with helicopters that's even worse. It's not a great pic, but here's what I'm working on...

EFeWjJCo88hyC6WQqJ9E_3mIvRfy5umoz0xUeJ0w

That includes the rotors, rotor blades, undercarriage and doors, anti-tank missiles and rails, exhausts, wheels, rear fins/stabilisers, gun turret, pitot etc. All in various stages of completion! Lots to do still, the rotors and rotor blades etc aren't even painted (I didn't do a good job in this build in getting all the fiddly bits done first). But progress is being made.

Next step for me is a panel line wash on the fuselage (not that there are many panel lines, and they're *very* shallow, so I don't know how well it will take) and on the anti-tank missiles and rails. I'll do that using oils. Once that's done I reckon I'll start on the rotors and blades. It is getting there, and I'm hopeful of having it finished in time, there are still 4 week left.

Thanks...

• Like 5

Good progress on all the smaller parts Jason. Once they're in place you'll see it as worthwhile work and a leap forward to reward you for that.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Col, appreciate the support!

Well, I'm going to be away from the bench for a few days, but I've got lots done this weekend! 

Firstly, all of these pieces are now finished/painted/washed/matt coat etc. and basically ready to be added to the airframe when I want...

hA3w1p2mF9wjuVcDstJ5l2ADYWWU2CbsEgFZCXs9

I also got the airframe panel line wash, and cleaned it off, and got a matt coat on. Then I got the windows/cockpit unmasked. Some touch-ups needed, but nothing too bad I think...

iROg8vL5rpiRXgifRRDG7qAxsPDA2rB9g1AFhDEx

IX0aTW38EiKTLSt158W_i0uBGN3YzqHDM3IK5Ug9

I'm pretty happy with it, never as perfect as I'd like, but it'll do!

I still have to do both rotors and their associated bits and pieces, they'll have to be painted/masked/glossed/decaled/matt coated etc. And everything will have to be added to the airframe. But with 4 weeks left, the back is definitely broken with this build, and I'd be very surprised if I don't get it finished in time. Then I have to figure out how to take pics of it, and where to put it!

• Like 8

Good progress there, it shouldn't be too bad a run to the end now. I'm still really liking the choice of scheme you made for this, well worth the hassle you went through.

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone...

Got a bit more done, and the airframe is now almost complete, and looking a bit busy. It's also on its own wheels, so I don't have to hold it anymore for pics, though its size makes pics awkward...

edohTPlQCerbn5YrNwHPfzE6RwJeUEcIBkaVq5kB

XNcTfQ7FhYpZTVuhNn4vcJ3fPlspW89XipF_9mGR

I've started work on the Rotors, getting some steel sprayed, still more masking/spraying to do on them. Getting there though!

• Like 6

Less than two weeks to go, but I should be ok...

Over the last few days I've got the rotors and associated bits and pieces painted. A good bit of masking needed to get the different areas done on them, but they're done and glossed too, ready for decals. Will hopefully take a pic tonight to show them. After decals they'll need some weathering.

Unfortunately I managed to break the main pitot that sticks out of the nose, and that was before I attached it to the nose! I have a replacement one ordered, so hopefully that will arrive in time.

• Like 1

Just a pic to show I wasn't lying! Some nice and shiny bits of plastic...

vwTZTTfvfz69j7q6ef_MHATAajI0I-Kp-GCpknRc

I have to do decals next, and there are quite a few. For example, the numbers 0 - 17 on each segment along the bottom of each rotor. Unfortunately Eduard decided to make each decal separate, instead of 1 decal being a long row of numbers. Which means that's what, 108 individual tiny decals! So that's gonna take a while, and suddenly the deadline is looking scary close again!

• Like 4

I was away from the posts for a while, busy finishing my own model.  You made some nice progress!  All the small parts look perfect with their paint on. Towards the end the detail work appears never-ending, doesn't it?

• Thanks 1

You're getting ever closer to the point where you need display space for this fine model Jason ;)

• Thanks 1

Thanks!

@Toryu It's my own fault, I normally get all these bits and pieces done at the start, so I don't have to face them later, but I didn't do them all in this build.

Finally got the decals done. I miscalculated slightly, forgot there were only 5 rotors! But still, 26 decals per rotor took a little while. Here they are, waiting for a gloss coat (which has since been done).

3ow8PVHLm1DyBu3So3CtJ4vts3QaTzq1-OI7qFHi

And the replacement Pitot arrived...

9rc9YoJYqfaeRica-tiBw-PCFY8gQ714e76X7tTt

Just have to make sure I don't break this one!

Next up will be a wash on the rotors and then a matt coat.

• Like 3