HP.80 WB771: The first Victor prototype. +++ Finished +++

7 hours ago, CliffB said:

However, what is definitely missing is the prominent forward extension at the base of the fin - it looks as though it houses an air inlet of some kind (for an APU?).  I'd be interested to know precisely what function it serves, if anyone knows please :thumbsup2:.

It wasn't fitted to the B1 and K1 but it was on the prototype. It's not the APU because that's in the wing. I have no idea what it was used for on the B/K2s but on the prototype it was an intake for the combustion heater which provided hot air for the anti-icing system. On the B/K2s this was done with bleed air from the engines. The answer to the question of the B/K2's fin intake may be somewhere in the thread above if anyone is more interested than I am at this time of night. :sleep_1:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CliffB said:

However, what is definitely missing is the prominent forward extension at the base of the fin - it looks as though it houses an air inlet of some kind (for an APU?). 

It does appear to be the correct location for an APU. But without a clear photo I cant identify an exhaust port. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you @Bertie Psmith and @Corsairfoxfouruncle :thumbsup2:

The link to the BM thread was extremely useful Bertie (yes, I have read it all :hypnotised:).  Apparently the fin mounted air intake on the B2/K2 served cooling systems for tail mounted ECM/radar equipment.  The thread also provides dimensions for the prototypes and it seems that Lindberg have got their length and span figures exactly right!

As I'm posting, I'll take the opportunity of adding this quick snap.

AVvXsEgMCEf8yUB2QlcMtana60XjJ8KNSPl3xnTc

Cheers

• Like 9

There looks to be some nice detail on these kit parts Cliff.

What's the extra wee pair of aircraft shaped parts supposed to represent?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Are you doing the Matt black/red/grey scheme?

Yes I will be, but I'd assumed that the wings were silver.  Have I got that wrong?

46 minutes ago, Col. said:

What's the extra wee pair of aircraft shaped parts supposed to represent?

It's the parasite fighter that only the first prototype carried.  When not off fighting, it doubled as the front part of the stabiliser, on to which the elevators attached.

Cheers

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, CliffB said:

It's the parasite fighter that only the first prototype carried.  When not off fighting, it doubled as the front part of the stabiliser, on to which the elevators attached.

Never heard of the Victor being involved in a parasite fighter program but they did seem to be in fashion around that time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Yes I will be, but I'd assumed that the wings were silver.  Have I got that wrong?

My reference says it was "all-silver" when first flown  and goes on "At the end of August 1953, WB771 went inti the Radlett paint shop and emerged with a new matt black finish with silver-grey wings and a full length red flash..." Robert Jackson, V-Bombers, Ian Allen 1981. 

He distinguishes between "silver" and "silver-grey" but it's a bit ambiguous. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Cheers

I've never heard of this and it's not mentioned in my references either. (There was a plan to hang three Gnats under a Vulcan but it was only a paper project.) The first Victor prototype only made 30 flights between 21 June and 26 August 1951 when it broke up during a high speed run. I seriously doubt that they had time to incorporate an advanced project like a parasite - they would still have been doing the basic flying tests, I reckon.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

He distinguishes between "silver" and "silver-grey" but it's a bit ambiguous. 

Funnily enough I've got another build coming up where the aircraft is described as being silver-grey.  I'm still not really sure what that means.

In several of the B&W photos of the Victor, the wings definitely look metallic so I think I'll go silver overcoated with a matt or satin varnish, to dull things down.

Cheers

1 minute ago, CliffB said:

Funnily enough I've got another build coming up where the aircraft is described as being silver-grey.  I'm still not really sure what that means.

In several of the B&W photos of the Victor, the wings definitely look metallic so I think I'll go silver overcoated with a matt or satin varnish, to dull things down.

Cheers

Silver = NMF ? And Silver Grey = High speed silver ? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Silver = NMF ? And Silver Grey = High speed silver ? 

8 minutes ago, Col. said:

That was my thoughts as well Dennis.

But then again, coming back to @Bertie Psmith's reference, I don't think the first prototype ever flew in NMF, so the colour described as silver would have been HSS.

It's all very confusing!

Cheers

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CliffB said:

I don't think the first prototype ever flew in NMF,

That's correct. It's a pity because it would have looked really good in bare metal. A lot of the skin was spot welded to the frames so the heat-affected colours would have been amazing!

Its definitely confusing but on the other hand, you can paint the model whatever you like and no-one can argue. At least unless they have a better reference!

• Like 2

On reflection (ha!) 'silver grey' is a good description of HSS, which was never shiny. and far more grey than silver. I think the only reason we think of it as a metallic is that we know there was aluminium powder in the mixture.

I think your decision to go for a dull silver paint is about right..

• Like 2