Mark's Jag

Hi all,

I'm in with another long term stash resident, Airfix's 1/48 GR3A/ES Jaguar kit.  I will be doing it as a GR1 probably in the snow camo, because I think it looks cool......:tumbleweed:......:coat:.....:

XPuGRQD.jpg

A few goodies to add to the mix.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 13

I love the Jag and a GR1 is the best type so this will be good. Quite envious of those Paragon flaps and slats. They’ll make a big impact on the finished model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Filler said:

Quite envious of those Paragon flaps and slats. 

I said it was a long term stash resident! I take it they're as common as Rocking Horse sh....dung these days!! ....I better make the most of them then.

14 minutes ago, Col. said:

While everything looks cool in camo wrap it looks even cooler in snow camo wrap :thumbsup:

Agreed, can't be doing with that tactical grey nonsense!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all,

Just wanted to let you know that I haven't lost sight of this GB, I have made a minor start, more fettling than building, but a start nonetheless:

The first thing I had a go at was one of the exhaust nozzles as it's part of the Eduard PE set I have and, well I really don't like PE so I thought I'd get it out of the way, I have superglued a strip of plastic around the PE pipe to make sure it all stays together.   I stuck some PE in the cockpit tub as well, the IP came out quite well, again from the Eduard set, just dabbed some colour on the film, rubbed back the bezels to expose the brass and good enough for what I have to admit is a very compact cockpit just the central moving map screen to paint and its done.  I prepped the seat for some primer and paint and added some location tabs to the fuselage parts...coz there aint' any with the kit, at least none that actually work. Oh! and I had a go at twisting a black and yellow wire seat actuator handle.

k0gsKrb.jpg

I started to set up the Paragon Flaps and Slats set and mod the wings ready for them, and I probably should have done some reading up because like a chump I assumed that the panel lines would

a) match each other top and bottom....NO and...

b) be the correct size for the resin part...NO again. :swear:

So, as you can see several fillets have had to be introduced to correct my error.

BozWy9Y.jpg

The Slats instructions would have you just cut away the kit parts and that would be it, not quite the whole story I'm afraid, the photos I have seen show a smooth under surface that slats fit over quite snugly with slot to accept the rails/actuators.  So again I have glued in some fillets and cut the slots into which the resin actuator fit and even hold the slats in place without any glue.

6PPDBUj.jpg

Slat test fit, plus you can see just how far out the panel lines on the trailing edge of the wing were, I'm assuming that the rest of the wing panel lines must be pretty close to fictional!?.....They will not be re-scribed!!

igdgZPC.jpg

Finally I have added some further detail to the inboard flaps, namely the rails/actuator and the 'housing'? near the trailing edge of the main wing part.

lodVgjJ.jpg

So, a start has been made....that's the good news, the bad news is that having trawled through all the available decals and info I have, it appears I do not have the correct decal options to do a white over green winter camo paint job....Rats!  So it'll just have to be a GR1 in standard wraparound...which is still pretty cool anyway, further good news is that this means I'll have to get a Kittyhawk Jag to do in the winter camo....Yay!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

A little work completed on the Jag:

IP fully painted up

bLUU9tt.jpg

The Paragon seat came up nicely until I realised that it's the wrong Mk 9 for a GR1 with the later type head box...all the decals I have are for the mid 70s and apparently that's about a decade too early for this type!  I can't see the earlier type anywhere on-line.

L8Ru1XU.jpg

I have been doing some 3D modelling and printing for the build, replacement tyres and hubs, the detail's difficult to see with the 'macaroon' blue resin but they're a vast improvement on the kit efforts.  

PmAlV2j.jpg

The ladder came out quite well despite a slight misjudgement with regard to height off the build plate so it will have to printed again but not until the model is on its undercarriage and I can tweak the size if necessary. Maybe I'll have a go modelling the correct seat or at least just the headbox.

guB1F9P.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 11

Great progress there, Mark. Nice painting on the interior bits (even if the seat isn't the right one) and the 3D parts look really good too

James

• Like 1

That is some excellent work Mark, some proper modelling getting the flaps and slats sorted and some great 3D printing of replacement parts.

I really want to do a Jag in the winter camo to go with my Harrier in the future.

What decals do you need for the one you wanted to do, is it just serial numbers you need?

• Like 1

Thanks all.

3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

What decals do you need for the one you wanted to do, is it just serial numbers you need?

Unfortunately it runs a little deeper than the serials Craig. The size and style of the markings seem to be different in almost every image I look at so I'll stick to the standard wraparound scheme for this effort. As i said I do like the white over green camo in preference to the white over grey, so maybe I'll go for a decent 1/72 Jag in the winter camo.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Morning all,

A little progress with the main assembly of the Jag:

A fair bit of filler has been required to smooth out the rather clunky breakdown of the old Airfix kit, especially around the wing join.  I'll be able to see the problem areas when I get some primer on it.

As I'm building a GR1, I didn't want to have the over-wing pylons fitted so I scratched some replacement wing fences from plastic card using the kit pylons as a template.

oUCInJZ.jpg

I have just started fitting some card to the auxiliary intake slots as I haven't seen many images to support the 'open' look .

I've added some detail to the IP coaming, and am going to do something about the blank area behind the seat headbox as I'll be posing the canopy in the open position.

Ly8xmat.jpg

More evidence of the filler required to smooth things out on the underside, surprisingly the insert just forward of the exhaust nozzles fitted like a dream despite not looking like it would during dry fitting....I must have done something wrong!

I've been trying out Mr White Putty for this build and have to say I really like the way it sands.

bncHi8t.jpg

Slow progress.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...