Car Door Tiffy: Exercise Spartan March 1943

Good morning everyone … Going to throw my 1st hat into the ring with the 1/72 Frog Typhoon 1B car-door kit. Im going to do it in the markings of 181 Squadron during Exercise Spartan. 

KWQQ2LH.jpg

This photo ⬇️ is of the sister squadron 183 both 181 & 183 were used as opposing force during the Exercise. Thus the distinctive white marking's. Too add to this the lower port wing was all black. 

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/uk/raf/typhoon/typhoon-ib-183-during-exercise/

Here are my sprue photo’s. 

I7vPVU9.jpg

ETnnPog.jpg

I probably wont mount the RP-3 rockets on the wings as this was only an exercise. Though they're from an Airfix Beaufighter as they're much better quality than the kits. I may use the rockets on my Tempest build ? 

Dennis

• Like 13

Excellent subject choice Dennis :) The kit looks to be a simple one but captures the strong and solid lines of the Typhoon well.

• Thanks 1

Good morning everyone … Hoping the day finds you safe and happy. I was able to jump on this plane tonight with just about 2.5 hours in this is where we stand. First up you will note I used a different radiator. It is for a Tempest V,VI however it looks better than the kits version. Op9ONmQ.jpg

QdHZJXa.jpg

Here she is painted up. ⬆️ I did take a photo of the in progress of the fuselage assembly. However it seems to have disappeared into the ether. I painted the seat and upper interior the interior green. Lower internal stayed black. The kit cockpit is very basic so I took a spare panel from an Eduard spitfire. Nothing special though I placed it in there just to give the impression of an instrument panel. 9kAwzA3.jpg

The wings are just a plug in effort and not very stable but they do leave very little gap when mounted. JXhrYdf.jpg

Here with prop on for show, yes it spins quite freely. You may note in these two photo’s. ↕️ That Ive removed chunks from the leading edge for the dual landing lights. I will add them from clear sprue cut and filed to shape. 

8UjmpEN.jpg

Ive added a sanding stick remnant to help support the tail wheel while it sets. P9ojYEO.jpg

Xu2PLGO.jpg

Here you can see with these two closeups the little bit of wing gap. The radiator housing is the worst area but should be easy enough to fix. f9EsWRI.jpg

57Vzu9R.jpg

I plan on picking up some stuff on February first for this and a couple other kits. Master models barrels for this and my Tempest build and some other odds and ends. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 10

Most of my builds are getting to the boring stage of Fill, sand, file, re-scribe, & repeat niw so wont be much in the way of updates for a bit. I also need to wait for the 1st as I will be ordering a set of Master models cannons & barrels for this and a similar set for my Tempest II. 

https://spruebrothers.com/masam72064-1-72-master-model-typhoon-mk-ib-early-type-cannons-with-uncovered-barrels/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone … well the sanding and filling is finished except for landing lights and guns. I did install the master models gun shrouds today, barrels will be after paint so as not to bend or damage them. WGbjVVU.jpg

y9oa1gQ.jpg

HrsfFJo.jpg

Hoping to be in Paint soon, just need to finish up the lights and cannon/wing joins. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 9

I'm with you on this one Dennis.  Sorting out panel lines is a real PITA.  Still, it's nice to give these old kits a run out occasionally.

Yours Tiffy's looking good :thumbsup2:.

• Thanks 1

Great progress Dennis, sure I must have built the Novo boxing of this back in the day. Funnily enough I never really worried about gaps and panel lines...:whistle:

Nice to see how it turns out.

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

The black plastic really shows the amount of work you are doing. It looks a bit of a pig.

It isnt as bad as it looks really. I screwed up on re-scribing a few lines. I usually rub planes down that have raised panel lines. I use 1000 - 2000 grit wet/dry to reduce them to almost nothing as it helps when it comes to decals. Less panel lines means less chance for air to get trapped underneath the decal. I only re-scribe panel lines that are totally removed as it helps restore the look.

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone … Well Ive been lucky with a whole weekend free to work on stuff. Tonight it was the Hawker assembly line. While researching stuff for Tempest II’s I found this, its from the Airfix 1/24 car door Typhoon. Seems there was quite a bit if roll over structure behind the pilot. hMjm9VE.jpg

So for confirmation I found this photo. ⬇️

f1u4Y0x.jpg

Well I Couldn't not leave it be and had to add it. hHHhdJP.jpg

5UI6KhJ.jpg

gIYmSsk.jpg

Once done I finished off the paint and added the canopy. 

vZ4HOEm.jpg

o9o5BSo.jpg

pKmbik8.jpg

acTUfvz.jpg

Y4Aeke5.jpg

Ntye8OE.jpg

Once this is set I can finish sealing the canopy and mask for paint. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon everyone … My apologies for such a long delay in posts. Unfortunately Ive had a family situation occur at the end of January and its slowed my work down. However I’ve been doing what I can when I can and the last four-five days have opened up. So much so that I have done almost all of the painting on all 11 of my builds. So without much more of my lonely babbling and with only the Dk. Green and sky band to be sprayed. JCqz4pW.jpg

pqGhDgu.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 4

Good morning everyone … well the green is on this now. I think other than the yellow leading edges and sky band shes ready for the next stage. 35Z3wAA.jpg

QsI2cBe.jpg

Will need a touch-up on the end of the white stripe with green. ⬇️uqey3pe.jpg

Landing gear bays, silver/aluminum or interior green in 1943 ?  VTN5g5R.jpg

And a family photo with its progeny the Tempest II. sLtJL6P.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 8