CF.100 Clunk restoration

Good morning everyone … Well I’ll be honest with you. This almost went through the wall tonight. I was placing the decals on the plane and the main code numbers balled up as I was trying to set them. It turns out these decals are very tricky, you cant soak them for more that 3-4 seconds or they turn into a ball. They're very rubbery as well, the do handle the Micro set/sol product lines so thats good. In the end once I figured out the tricks I was able to get the codes, panther’s, and stripes done. The roundels are a different brand of decal so went on no issue. The rudder decal wasn't quite correct in size & shape so will need to be fiddled with using some paint. Well here is the Clunk with markings on. 

YQ8y6X8.jpg

I think the roundels are close to correct, I couldn't quite find a good photo showing exact positions. JFBhYoS.jpg

This side is the second side I did so it worked out much better. This side was the first. ⬇️

IAFCaFU.jpg

If you look at the AN you can see where the “N” is all wrinkled up. The Canadian flags on the tail are from a leading edge sheet and are almost the same size as the ones on the sheet these decals came from. The main issue I have with them are that they required 4 layer’s. That and the white background seems to be oversize ? Should the flag have a white background or edge or not please please tell me if you know ? If not I can edge it with aluminum to hide it. OYHXV2b.jpg
Please feel free to ask questions and or leave comments. Please if anyone can answer the questions about the flag, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Dennis

• Like 9

Overall this looks really great!  It's a shame that the decals had to throw a curve ball at you.  I really hate it when that happens.  Good to see you got most of it sorted out though.  There's a couple of builds I've had in the last couple of years where a decal surprise has forced me to display a certain side of the model! 😕 

• Thanks 1

I have an “N” for you if you need it. Let me know. Also the exhaust pipes are natural aluminum, not black, they are also quite thin, you can open them up on the next one. I actually sawed them off and replaced them with brass tube.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/18/2022 at 8:39 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello everyone … well that was messy. I tried every thinner I had no joy on getting the old paint off. So went to 400grit wet/dry and wet sanded for my life for two hours. 

Unfortunately I have seen this build very late. To remove old paint I use oven cleaner spray. I let it penetrate for couple of hours and simply rinse with water. If any residuals stay then I repeat the process.  The good thing is that the foam doesn't give any damage to clear parts. Maybe this can be helpful for the next recovery project:

1662.jpg

1664.jpg

1665.jpg

Serkan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2022 at 7:15 AM, Serkan Sen said:

To remove old paint I use oven cleaner spray. I let it penetrate for couple of hours and simply rinse with water. If any residuals stay then I repeat the process.  The good thing is that the foam doesn't give any damage to clear parts. Maybe this can be helpful for the next recovery project

Hello Serkan, Thank you for mentioning the technique, someone else also mentioned the technique earlier in the build. Ive known about it for years actually, but Sadly I cant do this. I have medical issues with oven cleaners due to an criminal incident that occurred in the mid 1990’s. However I persevere and Have got the landing gear sorted. U9F0NpL.jpg

Before ⬆️ and after ⬇️ filling in the detail on the donor wheels. 

1R9xYVz.jpg

A test to see how they look, not bad actually. 

c1DHeZ2.jpg

Sometime this week I will hopefully be able to get the doors and retraction arms sorted. Once thats set I should be very close to finishing this off. Just in time to build the brand new untouched kit in the Canada Group build. It will get built along side a CF-104 in that build. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

Good evening everyone … Landing gear is mounted and painted. I scratch built the doors for everything, they're admittedly a bit 2D but look the part at least. d2RGOQH.jpg

CDfKtdQ.jpg

zSLWlGd.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 6

Looks good. Don’t forget the pitot tube. Hobbycraft expects you to butt joint it. I know you don’t have the kit one. I drill into the wing and use a pin. That way when all the unguided rockets miss, they can stab the opposition!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

It seems that you are very close to RFI!..

Serkan

Thanks yes Just a couple little things now. 

4 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

Looks good. Don’t forget the pitot tube. Hobbycraft expects you to butt joint it. I know you don’t have the kit one. I drill into the wing and use a pin. That way when all the unguided rockets miss, they can stab the opposition!

Yes just trying to get the little things. The other kit is set to go in the Canada Group build. Im looking for something to improve the office. Im looking at an Cf-104 also but only if time allows. Hmm I do have hypo needles ? But probably safer to use a length of brass tubing with brass wire. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good morning everyone … well I figured I should finally finish this one off and have added the pitot and did an RFI. 
8bw9EX4.jpg

yXTRpOi.jpg

hdqdbBn.jpg

Please feel free to visit the RFI and leave comments and questions. 

I am also working on a second Canuck in the Canada group build. If you’d like to check it out or follow please do. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235111843-mk4b-cf100-all-weather-fighter/

Dennis

• Like 8

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks fab Dennis!

I’m guessing they didn’t apply the area rule too much when they were designing it!

Regards,

Adrian

They didn't apply area rule, because although the German aero industry had worked the basics out in the early '40s, the rest of the world (actually, the US) didn't catch on until the early '50s, and then it was secret - given only to military contractors with a need to know. It was 1957 before the theory was made generally available to the rest of the world. The CF-100 flew in 1950, thus missing the area rule bus by quite a margin. On the other hand, it did have a 31 year life in service, which ain't bad for a 50s airframe. 

I agree, that's looking pretty darn good! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1