CF.100 Clunk restoration

Hello everybody … If youve talked to me over the last few years you will know I have 🦄 kits and 👹 kits. One of my all time🦄’s is the CF.100 Canuck (clunk). I was finally able to score two of them recently. One unbuilt (Mk.4a) and the other an older kit (Mk.5) that needed some TLC. I will be rebuilding the older kit and trying to restore it to get some experience with the type. 8aItgYV.jpg

zcJJQQY.jpg

As you can see the seller included bits from a Vacuform kit for landing gear and rocket pods. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments and join me on this odyssey.  

Dennis

• Like 13

After being pleasantly surprised by Hobby Craft’s F-89 Scorpion, I briefly considered doing a CF-100 (same time period, same mission) but never followed through. So, I’ll be following this with interest.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Clunks is cool, so I'm on board for this!

14 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Watching and taking notes, Dennis- go for it!

Mike

5 hours ago, billn53 said:

After being pleasantly surprised by Hobby Craft’s F-89 Scorpion, I briefly considered doing a CF-100 (same time period, same mission) but never followed through. So, I’ll be following this with interest.

5 hours ago, junglierating said:

Ah I've got one of these in the stash ...cost me 3 quid....looking forward to this 😀

5 hours ago, reini said:

@CorsairfoxfouruncleGreat! Ive built one last year, it was a pleasant experience. Great looking plane too, once finished.

Will be following 🙂

Thanks everyone hopefully I can get a start tomorrow, I need to take SWMBO for a medical procedure today so no work. This will be a slow burn at first as I still need to strip the paint. Ive broken her down as far as she’ll go. I tried to separate the starboard wing and cracked it. The port wing is glued pretty good to the fuselage so it will stay attached. Id rather not cause more damage than needed. Once its stripped the biggest hurdle is getting sone details into the office. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks everyone hopefully I can get a start tomorrow, I need to take SWMBO for a medical procedure today so no work. This will be a slow burn at first as I still need to strip the paint. Ive broken her down as far as she’ll go. I tried to separate the starboard wing and cracked it. The port wing is glued pretty good to the fuselage so it will stay attached. Id rather not cause more damage than needed. Once its stripped the biggest hurdle is getting sone details into the office. 

Had to read that twice....thought you were on about SWMBO at first 😆

Seriously hope all is well👍

• Haha 6

I wouldn’t worry too much about the cockpit, it is all black. I detailed my vacuform Clunk, you can’t see it. Ejection seats, blast deflector and the radio compass and it’s bracket between the seats are all you can really see, and that’s with an open canopy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone … well that was messy. I tried every thinner I had no joy on getting the old paint off. So went to 400grit wet/dry and wet sanded for my life for two hours. 
zKhQCGG.jpg

ww4QQFl.jpg

Results shes pretty smooth now, she isn't getting anything else taken off of her. 

E60EHFD.jpg

As you can see like I said earlier the one wing had cracked. I had attempted to glue it but not really a good bond. So I sawed the areas as clean as possible. Then built up spars, two from plastic a third from brass. 

hOdXGqL.jpg

Its currently setting and looks good. This ⬇️ is my preferred scheme. 

http://miprofiles.i.m.f.unblog.fr/files/2019/03/cf-100-410-sq.jpg

However If the NMF doesn't work out I will go with #11 Squadron from the Belgian Air Force. Seen here in the first profile. Oddly enough the spare decals from my Matchbox N.F. Meteor’s are the same unit. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234932215-cf-100/

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 5

Evening/Night everyone … Well I think we can call the wing good. Nothing a little filler cant take care of now. n3nTFpk.jpg

As you will note the other wing and I think the actual plane has a bit of downward bend towards the tip. v07cJWR.jpg

So I made sure to get the same slight bend in the repair. SGnlyVn.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Robin-42 said:

Nope, no bend, wings are straight. Small amount of dihedral. I will get you a number. I see hot water in your future…..

Looks like about 1 deg dihedral according to the Astra plans, from the wing root.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Robin-42 said:

Looks like about 1 deg dihedral according to the Astra plans, from the wing root.

Thanks Robin, just for future knowledge what color are the gear bays. Did CF.100’s use/have FOD covers, I cant really find active planes with them. I only seem to find gate guards and museum birds with them. 

• Like 1

Gear bays were bare aluminium. I only found one photo in Larry Milberry’s book with intake covers, they fitted in the nacelle with a diamond shaped canvas center covering the dome and de-Icing vanes. I don’t think they were commonly used. The vanes by the way, were on all Mk4’s and 5’s. They were removed somewhere around 1960 from some Mk5’s at least. They were found to be unnecessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I just thought I would list some details that are missing from Hobbycrafts kits for those following Dennis’s adventure. Couple of tips as well. Some quick Googling will get you pictures to back me up. Feel free to correct me if I get anything wrong. First a spotters guide to the later Clunks. Mk1-3 differed in a lot of ways, so I will ignore them.

1. Mk4 short wings, short horizontal stabilizer, gun pack, wingtip rocket pods (early Mk4’s were guns only). Wingtip tanks an option.

2. Mk5 long wings, long horizontal stabilizer. Wingtip rocket pods only.

3. Mk5C short wings, long tail planes. Tip tanks only, extra ECM antennas. 
4. MK5D same as 5C with added cooling intake at front of gun pack location.

As far as the kits go, they are accurate, but simplified, only gotcha is the tail section, it may need some trimming to prevent drooping.

A lot of people complain about the cockpit detail, but it is black…. There are plenty of photo’s on the net if you want to detail it. The worst thing is the main wheels, they look like they belong on a Jaguar. The real ones are very high pressure skinny tires with a unique rim pattern. If you have the budget, Flightline Engineering has them perfect in their set. Also, every photo, other than museum birds shows them with flaps down, they are really simple to drop, the centre flap only has two acuators for detail. My list is just a guide for things I have noticed. If you do nothing, it will still look like a Clunk. 

Details missing.

MK4

1. Small cooling inlet, left side behind radome.

2. Cooling scoops behind cockpit both sides.

3. Radio compass and mount between seats.

4. There is a comb like discarded cartridge deflector on the gun pack,  it is composed of a single row of tightly spaced triangles, if you guys can figure out how to make that look right, let me know!

5. Retractable landing light bottom of right wing. It is engraved on the kit.

6. Very small fences at wing tip leading edge.

7. De-ice vanes on engine inlet spinners. 
8. Tailcone was a clear dome with two lights in it.

9. Small fairings for aileron actuators on lower wing.

10. Wheel wells are barren of detail.

MK5

1. Same as Mk4, except no cooling scoops behind cockpit, cartridge deflector or de-ice vanes.

2. Shallow raised rectangular scoops on forward upper part of engine nacelles..

Edited by Robin-42
Update
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Robin-42 said:

I just thought I would list some details that are missing from Hobbycrafts kits for those following Dennis’s adventure. Couple of tips as well. Some quick Googling will get you pictures to back me up. Feel free to correct me if I get anything wrong. First a spotters guide to the later Clunks. Mk1-3 differed in a lot of ways, so I will ignore them.

1. Mk4 short wings, short horizontal stabilizer, gun pack, wingtip rocket pods (early Mk4’s were guns only). Wingtip tanks an option.

2. Mk5 long wings, long horizontal stabilizer. Wingtip rocket pods only.

3. Mk5C short wings, long tail planes. Tip tanks only, extra ECM antennas. 
4. MK5D same as 5C with added cooling intake at front of gun pack location.

As far as the kits go, they are accurate, but simplified, only gotcha is the tail section, it may need some trimming to prevent drooping.

A lot of people complain about the cockpit detail, but it is black…. There are plenty of photo’s on the net if you want to detail it. The worst thing is the main wheels, they look like they belong on a Jaguar. The real ones are very high pressure skinny tires with a unique rim pattern. If you have the budget, Flightline Engineering has them perfect in their set. Also, every photo, other than museum birds shows them with flaps down, they are really simple to drop, the centre flap only has two acuators for detail. My list is just a guide for things I have noticed. If you do nothing, it will still look like a Clunk. 

Details missing.

MK4

1. Small cooing inlet, left side behind radome.

2. Cooling scoops behind cockpit both sides.

3. Radio compass and mount between seats.

4. There is a comb like discarded cartridge deflector on the gun pack, if you guys can figure out how to make that look right, let me know!

5. Retractable landing light bottom of right wing. It is engraved on the kit.

6. Very small fences at wing tip leading edge.

7. De-ice vanes on engine inlet spinners. 
8. Tailcone was a clear dome with two lights in it.

9. Small fairings for aileron actuators on lower wing.

10. Wheel wells are barren of detail.

MK5

Same as Mk4, except no cooling scoops behind cockpit, cartridge deflector or de-ice vanes.

Thanks Robin … This will be very helpful when I get to my second build. Not sure how much I can get done on the rebuild. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks Robin … This will be very helpful when I get to my second build. Not sure how much I can get done on the rebuild. 

As much as is fun. I didn’t do much on my Mk5 rescue. I have a 1/72 Hurricane with 38 parts in the cockpit, I also have a 1/72 Tigercat with a painted headrest and nothing else. We do this hobby to please ourselves!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Robin-42 said:

As much as is fun. I didn’t do much on my Mk5 rescue. I have a 1/72 Hurricane with 38 parts in the cockpit, I also have a 1/72 Tigercat with a painted headrest and nothing else. We do this hobby to please ourselves!

True btw look for an update tonight or tomorrow for this thread. I am hoping to get the fuselage/wings back together tonight. 

On 17/01/2022 at 19:55, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Shes getting a series of cortisone shots for pain, she suffers from a pain syndrome. 

For a ' pain syndrome ' free future for SWMBOd I'd say she'd probably have to get rid of your good self Dennis!  Lol🤣

Seriously though my best wishes to her and hope the cortisone works as expected!

ive just finished  my latest 'Jug ' and then...I was handed a list of DIY jobs around the house.... gulp!  Send Help ! Quickly! LOL I guess a little rain has to fall on my parade occasionally.. 

• Thanks 1