1: 48 scale Airfix Lightning F6 XR763 11 Sqn RAF Binbrook 1982

I have been detailing my current work in progress, RSAF Lightning F53, elsewhere on Britmodeller and thought I'd share a few pictures of my first Airfix 1 48 scale Lightning built c2010.

It is a Lightning F6 XR763 ex 11 Sqn which was the first Lightning I worked on after being posted to ASF RAF Binbrook in 1982.

XR763-1

XR763-2

XR763-3

XR763-4

CPL FARROW

I have another 11 Airfix Lightnings finished if anyone is interested in viewing them?

"If a Lightning isn't leaking fuel, it's tanks are dry"🤣

Lightning Boy

• Like 50
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, LightningBoy said:

I have another 11 Airfix Lightnings finished if anyone is interested in viewing them?

Yes please! How lucky you were to work on th S iconic aircraft. I have to say it's one of my favourite post war aircraft. As a child I'd see them over East Anglia! Amazing ! 

Regards

Andy

Nicely done.......the scruffy appearance is borne out by your photo of the real thing. Just goes to show how tatty the real thing was towards the end of its hard working career on the front-line of Britain's Cold War Air Defence.

Well Done, Sir !

Here's a bit of the history of XR763:

"My model depicts an English Electric Lightning Mk 6 of 11 Sqn as based at

RAF Binbrook in 1982. XR763 was the first Lightning I worked on during my time at RAF Binbrook and after completion of it’s Check 3 servicing in Aircraft Servicing Flight was repainted into a ‘Grey’ scheme at RAF St Athan.

On 1 July 1987, a Lightning pilot out of Akrotiri was flying an air firing sortie on a target banner towed by a Canberra. During the breakaway manoeuvre after a firing pass on the banner, Flt Lt 'Charlie' Chan saw a black circular object detach from the banner spreader bar. The object hit the aircraft. There was a loud bang and indications of a seizure of the No 1 engine. The pilot shut down the engine and turned towards Akrotiri; during the recovery the pilot noted an abnormally high temperature on the No 2 engine. A higher and faster than normal approach was flown with the undercarriage and flaps retracted.

At about 2½ miles from the airfield the engine began to lose thrust. When the pilot applied full power, the JPT rose to 900°C (the normal maximum allowable JPT is 795°C). The aircraft continued to lose speed and at approximately 250 feet and 150 kts the pilot ejected. XR763 AP impacted in a vineyard close to some houses and exploded in a fireball. The upper wheel from the spreader bar had been ingested by the No 1 engine which seized; debris damage to the No 2 engine resulted in its progressive disintegration. The pilot's ejection was successful and he was uninjured."

I'll post a selection of pictures from XR770 , the second Lightning I worked on, soon - thanks for all the feedback.

• Like 1

With a ferry front ventral...... not a gun tank. 

Only F6 to operate with a ferry front ventral out of binbrook would be the sole F6 on LTF it also had a lunaberg lens fitted to one of the Redtops it carried. 

Second picture seems very familiar considering I’ve got an f53 stripped for a hydraulic tank replacement at the moment.

53 minutes ago, LightningBoy said:

Hello Tweeky,

Well spotted - memory failed me.

Having found the relevant photos which I should have used as a reference

BINROOK ASF TEAM 2

XR763 - 1

XR763 - 4

XR763 - 5

Red Top Tip

Don't rely on your memory, use a photo

LightningBoy

Tweeky,

You seem to be quite knowledgeable on the topic of gun / ferry tanks.

Having looked at my appreciable collection of Lightning photos there are a few non-LTF F6s with ferry tanks fitted.

Could it be that when XR763 left for RAF St Athan for a repaint into grey after her Check 3  she was fitted with a ferry tank for the trip???

Would appreciate your opinion.

LightningBoy