A Ramrod raid on Amsterdam - 1/72 Ventura Mk.II - AJ209 (S/L. L.H. Trent)

Claiming a spot. 

I'll be doing the classic/ancient/old (you decide) Minicraft Ventura Mk.II, with help from the DK Decal Ventura sheet.

y4m1hSlEJGhTh1OkxLaymI7C70wOPF3F8CA3jYPs

And the subject as the title says:  Leonard Trent's AJ209 on the ill-fated Ramrod 16 raid. 

y4mKPQlcaLbEXw96Tg83vEF_IGTe7QBobHZd2y49

y4mfIUjXVuyj5eoBmp0ss_uFE9d7xjZlPx61tpHE

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Seems like I've stolen your idea! I'm doing No.4, the 21 Sqn. one.

No worries :)   just cut the first bits off the trees over here. 

So, 1987 it is.

y4m9IZIhszuolK1pBY0fswkhVZESooCnVT1SjpBL

A quick dry-fit with the transparent nose seems to indicate no real issues on mine, pretty good with minimal seams:

y4mFCAhvIWPRHNxLQmTs-C5KM3WeKQ8rRF6t16_n

There's probably more work involved with the engine bays to be honest.

y4mbmFfiQuK08McenLfBznZ0wkfcVTOlhjyqRblG

All curable with filler and careful sanding I guess.

y4mw3E7y5yfb87ms1aeBUDhien_cy-GBelv3LTWP

For inspiration, I perused the IWM archives and found this shot before one of the raids. 

y4mycKBrl62lC8Ti_w2F67dHHv7kJ_HuMlAhnf7X

© IWM (HU 81278)

Sobering thought, most of the men here would no longer be alive after this disaster.  I'll be touching upon the events during the thread.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

A bit of work will indeed be required around that area but it sounds as if you're going into in with confidence and a good plan :) 

Sobering thought indeed. It seems the desperate need to claim a 'Thousand Bomber Raid' was more important than any practical considerations or the impact it would have on crews flying aircraft that were not truly fit for the purpose.

• Like 1

An interesting build of one of the less successful light bombers of WW2. The Ventura really did seem unfit for purpose, and the crews who had to fly them must have disappointed to receive these aircraft after the battering the 2 Group Squadrons had received in Blenheim operations. Apparently the Boston was rated better.  At least they were replaced with a far better aircraft in the shape of the Mosquito FBVI. I cannot imagine the courage it must have taken to fly those aircraft into danger on a regular basis. We do well to remember them.

• Like 1