Asymmetric load out in Nam - FINISHED

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Asymmetric load out in Nam - yet more stencils

A little more progress between tidying home for visitors. Command stripes at centreline not prefect and don't align with camo as real life, name, red line and tail letters do. Exhaust can just in for effect.

More next week. 50 : 50 on completing to deadline.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 4

Only 2 more decals before setting solution (hoping to get rid of the few bits of silvering), wash and varnish. Leaving the ones immediately under the fixed part of the canopy off until after that's in place. Drooping the ailerons created work as 3 decals span onto them.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Took a few costs to get a solid matt finish that suits a sun-bleached plane in Nam. Matt coats do show the two greens as clearly distinct. Then glued the cans in and started weathering underside. And with the sun shining down into the cans I thought maybe I should have done more. :winkgrin:

Still got to:

• seal underside
  • weather topside
  • seal topside
  • fix u/c and stores
  • weather
  • fix seats and canopy 
  • last decals
  • weather

...so even the 2 weeks' extra isn't enough. :shrug: 

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Asymmetric load out in Nam - started weathering

Your weathering on the underside has that 'dog has been rolling in mud' look essential for a Phantom :speak_cool:

• Thanks 1

Great work there, Chris. I too am up against it for the deadline, so you have my sympathies. Better to miss the deadline than mess up the model by rushing though.

James

• Thanks 1

So main weathering and varnishing done. Then minor doors, then main undercarriage, then front, and just now painting around fixing points because the parts are so precise you cant get them on with amny paint. So that will need to dry before I get the undercarriage bays and gear weathered and then the stores..... (then the canopies etc)

Belly tank not glued; needs weathering before fixing on.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Just varnished. Weathering is required; the pristine undercarriage bays aren't compatible with the grubby underside. 😀 I do like the last 3 on the front door.

I fixed the pylon on station 8 because its not as fragile as the bombs on the other station pylons which will wait until weathering is done. Four and a half months wasn't enough for this. :oops:

Thanks for all the encouragement, @Col. and others, it has been a great GB full of lots of fascinating builds. I will progress this because there are still a lot of bits of it around the workspace, but even the canopies will take multiple days because there is glue, filling, decals and varnish on the fixed centre bit before the main bits can go on.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 3

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Asymmetric load out in Nam - started weathering - legs on

Taking a long time to get bombs on TERs and MERs. Even with superglue they keep coming off; part of the issue is the parts are so flexible they bend so pressure to put one bomb on leads to another popping off; but nearly there. In the meantime applied some solid black decal to the strike camera and gloss varnished with Clear.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 2

Underside done; not perfect. So on to cockpit; ejection seats, coaming and gunsight (?), which has to go flatter than real life because of the thickness of the plastic windshield. Painting and maybe rearranging of wires behind pilot before next bits on.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 4

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Asymmetric load out in Nam - progress on pit
  • 2 weeks later...

looking good chris. the handles from the quinta set where a good investment being so visible.

good job adding the wiring looms behind the pilot in front / on the reos' instrument panel

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Calling this finished. More photos in RFI; thanks for all the encouragement; its taken time but without positive response it would still be languishing.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Asymmetric load out in Nam - FINISHED
9 minutes ago, 81-er said:

That's a great looking model, Chris, well done!

James

James, thanks, I am at the happy to have finished but noting a number of bits could / should have been better stage. 6+ months for a 1/72 fighter. :shrug:

Chris

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Nice result Chris B)

@Col. thank you; it would not have happened without the GB (it would have stayed as part of the large stash of F-4s).

Chris

• Like 1