Asymmetric load out in Nam - FINISHED

38 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Didn't know this kit had intake trunks

Yup intake trunkings leading to front fans on FineMolds F-4s. Nice but it’s very hard to see the fans. 

Chris

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It's all very small. I don't know how you manage this level of detail in 72. Goos work!

Praise indeed, @Bertie Psmith my work is nothing compared to your wizardry on that Marine Navy bird.

1/72 means I can keep the recent ones displayed. SWMBO has even noted where I could move other things to storage (loft) to create more space. 

Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

SWMBO has even noted where I could move other things to storage (loft) to create more space. 

That was very thoughtful of her.

I also had to do some decluttering to convert my living room into a decent modelling den. It wasn't a difficult job. The only thing that I really had to get rid of was SWINME (She who is now my ex-). 😀

• Haha 6

Not just the front end but a definite F-4 looking plane now. And work in progress shot of the centre fuselage with the font fans before assembly. I found from my previous build its really hard to see the blades when its built because of the curvature on the intake trunks so just a solid coat of "steel" colour there.

I'll leave it to set overnight and then add outer wings, the nosecone etc before tidying seams; wing roots look ok, intake joins need a smear of filling.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Asymmetric load out in Nam - fuselage assembled

Front, including cooling ducts (?), back end and outer wings added. Bit of fettling required. Busy week ahead, work trip to Manchester and going to 2 gigs, so may not be ready for paint next weekend. And probably should scratch the strike camera before paint.

Chris

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Asymmetric load out in Nam - fuselage assembled - and wings

After a busy week some bench time today; happy with the seams, so then I added tailhook, drouge chute housing etc. And achieved the subtlest of blue tint to the windscreen with Clear with a drop of blue.

Strike camera next, before paint, as I'll be trial fitting in the sparrow recess.

One question: is the gunsight clear or tinted?

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 7

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Asymmetric load out in Nam - fuselage and wings fettled

This week has been spent scratching the strike camera, based on the dimensioned photos of the Monogram1/48 part @vangos kindly provided. Sprue, plasticard, plasti-strip, sprue-goo, trimming and filing. Nearly there. Photos of the real thing seem to be like 🦄 💩. White paint o/a?

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 5

Was nearly there with the strike camera last weekend, and am still not there. Repeated filling and filing.

In parallel put the Quinta decals on the seats. Love the 3D nature and the detail, bit there is a bit of operator error; I found while trying to stick them down they can break and bits disappear into the carpet monster. The instructions say to cut the plastic overhead pulls off and just use the double side decal; having done that on the seat side handles I reckon the decal would be too floppy so I have left the plastic under the decal. The effect isn't as good but I reckon it means these very visible bits will remain in place.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 5

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Asymmetric load out in Nam - Quinta decals on seats

Reckon the strike camera is done now, and what I assume are the camera ports face forward when in place. Unforgiving macro shots show bits of tidying required on paint on both underside and on store. I found on the previous FineMolds F-4 the undercarriage fixing was a fine tolerance so I am not painting the main wheel wells until after fixing it.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Asymmetric load out in Nam - store done?
  • 2 weeks later...

On with the 3 topside SEA colours, not finished yet, quite a bit of touch up needed; aiming for the the bleached tan look on the real thing, except for the fin and nose. The photo doesn't show that the fuselage and tailfin are painted in very different shades of tan and the two greens are different.

Chris

spacer.png

Edited by Chrisj2003
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

So after a full household at Easter and then a bout of Covid back to the bench. Took a while to complete touch ups and then get radome and heat shields area painted. While waiting for paint to dry I completed the F-4EJ Kai (from the F-4 STGB), so I know how the last bits fit on this FineMolds kit.

Chris

Ready for decals:

spacer.png

And first session. I realise this will be a lot faster than the DXM decals on the EJ Kai because FineMolds have grouped the stencils; it makes them easier to get straight and means I am not at risk of displacing some tiny ones when I place the next ones. Will see how much I can get done before the deadline; I feel without the Covid break I had a chance...

spacer.png

• Like 4

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Asymmetric load out in Nam - first stencils

Underside decals done; only one star-n-bar to go with stencils, and sealed with varnish.

Start on upper side. Stencils on fuselage first because command stripes appear to / will go over them.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 3

On 1/15/2022 at 11:25 PM, Col. said:

I remember seeing a model of Spunky VI in a Verlinden Modelling Manual and finding great inspiration from it

I remember this one, too. I think it was in The Verlinden Way Volume 1: On Plastic Wings. I seem to recall it had a HUGE number of data stencils painted all over the airframe - I'd never seen so many tiny decals on a kit before. It must have taken Mr.V many, many hours to apply them all.

Cheers.

Chris.  

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.
  • Like 1