Asymmetric load out in Nam - FINISHED

What not first!
Spunky VI early F-4E in Nam with an asymmetric load out as discussed in forum. FineMolds release from 2021.  

will add pictures tomorrow 

Chris

Edited by Chrisj2003
Progress.
  • Like 9

13 minutes ago, Chrisj2003 said:

What not first!
Spunky VI early F-4E in Nam with an asymmetric load out as discussed in forum. FineMolds release from 2021.  

will add pictures tomorrow 

Chris

Nyar nyar! Beat 'cha!

I haven't read all of the forum but getting your spunky asymmetrical load out sounds ... interesting.

Cool. I remember seeing a model of Spunky VI in a Verlinden Modelling Manual and finding great inspiration from it so will be watching your progress with that in mind Chris :speak_cool:

I really like the new FineMolds F-4 and have several to build now. This post in the forum got my interest;  Spunky VI heavily weathered with an asymmetric load out, so that's what I am aiming to build.

I have the kit and both bomb and missile sets from FineMolds, will use kit decals. A Master pitot and Eduard mask. Going for the Quinta cockpit after everyone raving about them in previous builds; that's not here yet, and I need to scratch the strike camera, which others have contributed a lot of helpful info for.

@Col. it won't be magazine standard. :sad:

Chris

p?i=af7b6dae53c91fa64fa9e1d20f7d8d46

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

@Col. it won't be magazine standard. :sad:

That doesn't matter Chris. So long as you enjoy your project that's the only thing which matters and I'm sure the gang will be supporting you along the way with plenty advice if required ;) 

Last few Group Build's I made the mistake of finishing off my ongoing build and putting off the start in the new GB. This time I have put the F-4EJ Kai aside and started. Still not got the Quinta set from Russia, seems they are not available anywhere else, and want to colour match the cockpit with the decals, therefore I am leaving the cockpit aside. So I have started by painting all the acrylic white for the intakes and wheels and borrowing a technique from @Bertie Psmith floated black round the wheel rims. Couldn't resist trying the new camo colours where they are needed behind the splitter plates and on the intake ramps, which probably is too quick. Also lower wing assembled and some paint there. On with assembling MERs, TER etc; then will get paint on stores. If the cockpit set doesn't come soon it will give me time to get all the stores done and scratch the camera.

FineMolds give the same position for the camo colour on the inside of the intakes in all boxes; happy to accept their advice for JASDF but for this Nam F-4E are we looking at 18" or 24" in?

And photo below, recently arrived from Plaza, the new reboxing for the special scheme GB later. Excited about that too; Falcon missile pylons and the box photo shows lots of wear on the underlying scheme.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Asymmetric load out in Nam - started

Stores today; prep, glue and some paint on:

• centre tank
  • 4 pylons
  • 2 MERs
  • 1 TER
  • 1 ECM pod
  • 2 Sparrows
  • 9 slicks
  • 3 daisy cutters

and because its the same paint, on the underside of the stabs. The mouldings in the accessory packs are really nice. I could be on to decals and varnish (of the stores) in week one. :surprised:

Unlike the Eduard mask for the F-4EJ their mask for this doesn't include the stabs; suppose this is easier without the reinforcement plates.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 3

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Asymmetric load out in Nam - stores

Stores today; prep, glue and some paint on:

centre tank

4 pylons

2 MERs

1 TER

1 ECM pod

2 Sparrows

9 slicks

3 daisy cutters

and because its the same paint, on the underside of the stabs. The mouldings in the accessory packs are really nice. I could be on to decals and varnish (of the stores) in week one. :surprised:

Unlike the Eduard mask for the F-4EJ their mask for this doesn't include the stabs; suppose this is easier without the reinforcement plates.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 3

The picture I am modelling shows Spunky VI with ailerons drooped, so following the lead of others , e.g. @Johnson , I got a new no 11 blade in the handle and ran the blade round the very clear mould lines many times; happy with the result (even if the photo isn't that clear).

Lots of other bits progressed but nothing interesting to photograph.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 7

Just over a week in and decals already. These are the one piece 500lb bombs from the FM accessory pack. Decals not the easiest; even with a high gloss finish they've struggled to adhere to the double curvature. Multiple applications of MicroSol ahead.

I varied the OD intentionally.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 7

Small bits of time over the last few evening and I have 2 x AIM-7E, from the FM missile accessory pack. Love the different and legible serial numbers for the missiles. Tiny bit of Sol/Set needed before varnishing, but decals worked better than on the bombs.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 7

Its very nice having family staying, this weekend and next two, but it reduces modelling time. Musicals aren't my thing so I got a little time to make progress just now:

• gluing the linkages on the undercarriage pieces
  • gluing upper and lower wings
  • exhausts inside and out - photo doesn't show the (subtle) blueing and sooty effect

There are still a lot more bits to progress while waiting for the Quinta set.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 5

Got the cockpit detail set from Russia; around 60 3D decals some of them very small. The frame and handles will go at the very end of the build; for now, when this weekend's guests have left, it will be a case of getting the tub painted in a shade of grey to match the decals. 

Instructions note extra adhesion required from varnish or PVA glue or super glue. Advice on what has worked for others appreciated. @trickyrich ?

Chris

spacer.png

Edited by Chrisj2003
Question
  • Like 2

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Asymmetric load out in Nam - detail set arrived
19 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Got the cockpit detail set from Russia; around 60 3D decals some of them very small. The frame and handles will go at the very end of the build; for now, when this weekend's guests have left, it will be a case of getting the tub painted in a shade of grey to match the decals. 

Instructions note extra adhesion required from varnish or PVA glue or super glue. Advice on what has worked for others appreciated. @trickyrich ?

Chris

spacer.png

NICE!!!!!!!  😍

Yeah you sort of treat them like decals. Dip them in water like decals to release them form the paper backing. then carefully dry them. paper towel is the best. To glue/stick them in place I use PVA/white glue. it works a treat and drys clear.

Take your time, they actually go on really easy and look awesome. Will have to by a set for my F-4E(S)!

• Thanks 2

Main undercarriage bits and aux doors done; apart from decals.

Used the spare (raised detail) cockpit inserts to try various greys to match the Quinta decal. In the photo because the decals are gloss they look lighter than all my 4 options, in real life under artificial light I thought they matched the 50:50 XF32:XF19. Will clear varnish the 4 trial greys and take into work so I can see in daylight.

Sorry, phone camera is struggling with these close ups.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

3D decals take more time than usual; soak, dry-off, apply glue or varnish, position, pad down, and there are a lot of tiny ones adjacent to each other on the IPs. So I did some conventional decaling for variety; the start of the phabulous stencilling.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Cockpit decals done; sidewalls won't be very visible once buttoned up, so photos now (the IPs aren't glued). Not a perfect match with decal grey but I'm happy with it.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

• Chrisj2003 changed the title to Asymmetric load out in Nam - pit detailed
19 minutes ago, Col. said:

That does look good Chris

Thanks Col, I know some came achieve superb results scratch building, but of various options (dry-brush, kit decals, etch) for cockpit detailing I have tried over the last few years I prefer this one. There will be some scratch build in the pit when I get it buttoned up.

The 3D decal set includes sills and mirrors, which for me in 1/72 is enough.

Chris 

• Like 1

Buttoned up and intakes too. Drilled some holes and glued 0.3mm lead wire in the plate between front and rear cockpits. Will superglue to rear i/p to create effect of connections.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5