Bruised, Battered and on the Beach - Tamiya 1/48 Phantom - Finished.

y4mPXvxgSC6qgIpIFiY1OPf16QZG0ZZtSaUr2GVc

I've just decanted almost a kilo of loveliness from that big Tamiya box. It's not the first time this has happened, oh no. I was going to build this one in the Phantom GB a few months ago but that was my first GB and this lot was a bit intimidating at the time so I packed it all away and built a couple of simpler kits instead. I debagged the sprues but that was all - every part is still attached to its sprue (or I've lost it!!).

y4mWGs_3wD5KP36sufuKsyv5M_cl5kFBDTFm3BWT

Here's the non-grey-plastic part of the build. There's some Brassin bomb carriers to make the point that the F, for Fighter, -4 Phantom also dropped a lot of bombs on Vietnam in the 1960s. There's a crew ladder which I might use, though it wasn't often employed on board the carriers. Also some resin seats which are rather beautifully cast and will save me the trouble of making harnesses. 

y4mqWaLwU9Hc0J_w2nSV65ghsMB-AC5yqvSaDtuC

I have this reference book which is a beauty.

y4m16DVuTSGG8EaIJxj2gy6bM_JZgqlpKsmim6mI

And this history book to help me keep it all in context.

I like to make my models unique in some way so it's unlikely that I'll be doing an OOB build, but right now I don't know what I'll be doing with it. Let's think about this. Ok, in order to use the ladders, it would be logical to have the aeroplane on dry land. That raises the possibility of a simple little diorama. We could park it in a revetment somewhere in South Vietnam. Reason for being on the beach? The first thing that comes to my mind is a little battle damage. It could be any number of things but a sticking arrestor hook isn't very visible and a diorama needs to tell the story visually.

y4m1W1Og4y_0MLOjZYbVWevg1rjXbLSDy48pcVsY   y4miB2e3o-ZiV9eymagR1f_ZESkloX2itynFzJ1_   y4mwaehf6epNoW1OseErj52-u2vnLsbAJnfMn36U

I know these are different marks of Phantom but you get the idea. Yes. I like this plan. It should keep me busy for a few months. 😃

• Like 12

Fairly certain I've seen photos of Navy and Marine Phantoms deployed at shore bases in Vietnam so doubt anyone will argue with your plan Bertie :) 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Col. said:

Fairly certain I've seen photos of Navy and Marine Phantoms deployed at shore bases in Vietnam so doubt anyone will argue with your plan Bertie :) 

The Marine squadrons were all shore based, I believe. I prefer the brighter USN paint schemes though. As you know, I’m not shy about making up an event if I can’t find a true story. 😁

I do like the ejected back seater. I think that tells a sad and ironic tale. 

• Like 2

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to Bruised, Battered and on the Beach - F-4B Phantom II - Vietnam
7 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I'll probably be starting this one a few days late. I have an entry in the Hornet GB to conclude before I can give my full attention to another project.

It's here if you are interested:

We'll wait for you Bertie. In the meantime don't rush that Hornet as it deserves to be finished right ;) 

Edited by Col.
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Col. said:

don't rush that Hornet

I won't. Now I've reached the interesting part, I'm taking my time and enjoying myself.

32 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

another very interesting Bertie build!

High praise indeed! If I can make my builds interesting for you as well as myself that's great.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

High praise indeed! If I can make my builds interesting for you as well as myself that's great.

Now don't go putting me on a pedestal, I am only an average modeller at best, besides my balance has been utter pants since covid and I will probably fall off!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Now don't go putting me on a pedestal, I am only an average modeller at best, besides my balance has been utter pants since covid and I will probably fall off!

Touche. You know I don't like over-praising.

(Though actually I was just thinking of you as one of my readers when I wrote that...)

• Like 1

The USAF Phantoms used to get terribly chipped by the SEA weather, flying fast through monsoons will do that to airframes. It didn't seem to affect the USN aircraft as badly though. Maybe the gloss paint was tougher?

y4m2FKKovKSfdh5sRPFKs1jiaVDQ-bTGWcYUnzI4

Or maybe I had no idea how bad the Navy's birds looked because they touched up the chipping with yellow primer, and resprayed the grey when they found the time. This is an effect which I will be incorporating.

I can also leave the AAR probe out. We'll say the jet had to tank on the way south after being hit by whatever hit it, and once the probe was out, the pilot decided to leave it there in case it wouldn't work a second time if he needed more fuel. It all adds to the interest.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

y4mQ9VvFCbkRYvgzxmz9uPsH7wqoUXXKl08UWG3E

'S'only 'zact same one, innit? 201.

The Tamiya diagram says "don't use stencils for this marking option which shows the aircraft repainted at Miramar after deployment to Vietnam". The photo above must be the first part of the painting process, it is clearly at a Naval Air Base somewhere. So I'll just chip the paint in the usual way at the places indicated by the primer. Which will look a lot better. (I still won't be using all the stencils though - fiddly little things!)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

y4m7it9X8fJqelnhw9GWviGEnsmAGmM4_VSwqvHm

I can't resist battering the radome a bit too. (See all that leading edge and boot traffic chipping too?)

Look how stripped the windscreen framing is. Thats been scoured so much it looks like bare metal ? 

3 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I'll tell you what's even better, my fictional scenario means no ordnance either. Its all either used or jettisoned, even the tanks! I love a clean jet.

Make it more visually interesting if one bomb was hung up ?

27 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Look how stripped the windscreen framing is. Thats been scoured so much it looks like bare metal ?

The white nose gear door (and undersides) hints that that bird is a C.  The early Cs in Vietnam had the SEA Camo field applied over the ADC Grey.  So that’s likely ADC Grey rather than bare metal.

In regards to an earlier comment, the gloss paint used on the Navy/Marines birds was certainly more robust than the flat camouflage paints (and later USN TPS) in regards to wear & grime.  Smoother surface, less places for dirt to stick.  They were a lot easier to keep clean as well...hence why you seldom see heavily weathered and/or super grimy hi-vis USN aircraft.  I’m sure there are always examples to the contrary though, so weather to your heart’s content.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, helios16v said:

In regards to an earlier comment, the gloss paint used on the Navy/Marines birds was certainly more robust than the flat camouflage paints (and later USN TPS) in regards to wear & grime.  Smoother surface, less places for dirt to stick.  They were a lot easier to keep clean as well...hence why you seldom see heavily weathered and/or super grimy hi-vis USN aircraft.  I’m sure there are always examples to the contrary though, so weather to your heart’s content.

I’ll bear it in mind. If I go too far with the weathering, no-one will notice the extra holes in the rear end!