New to painting figurines - help please

Michael Morris

Hi

I'm a spacecraft modeller, but I'm always keen to spread my wings and try new subjects, so I've bought myself Revell's 1/12 scale Gemini Astronaut.   After a fair bit of fettling and filling, I'm pretty close to putting down the primer coat, then further filling and sanding and a final primer coat.  Then I'm into the pretty much unknown territory for me of painting a figure.  Can anyone point me in the direction of good beginners' books or video guides to figurine painting for beginners.

Thanks

p?i=46d11856a0922c47a6edc0f769c3a2f2

• Like 2

For figure painting books, I highly recommend the series produced by Mr. Black Publications, Scale Model Handbook - Figure Modelling vol. 1 to 25. Not necessarily for beginners, but they are informative and very easy to follow. Alternatively, also by Mr. Black Publications is Miniature Modelling Techniques - Painting Guide vol. 1. Again, very easy to follow and in a step by step style.

F.A.Q. Figure Painting Techniques - The Complete Guide for Figure Scale Modellers by AK Interactive is also a very good book.

As for videos, YouTube is your friend. A lot of quality content makers share their knowledge and techniques using that platform.

Hope this helps.

I'd 2nd this one, expensive but pretty much covers everything you'll need.  FAQ Scale Figures Book AK Interactive by Kirill Kanaev.  This is a lot cheaper but obviously covers less - 

Flesh and Skin AK Learning Series 6 Book; there are also other books in this series which are good.  Encyclopedia Of Figures Modelling Techniques by Ammo.  A lot of this depends on how much you are moving into figure painting?

Youtube, check out Sideshow    Sqidmar    SWM,   There's loads out there, best be a magpie and just pick bits from all of them.

Ah then there is always for your particular subject matter - SIM 8

Btw, I'm in the same place and am going through a lot of stuff, but am moving away from Space stuff for a change into more based figure paiting.

Cheers,

Ken