Revell 1/72 Sea Vixen FAW2

Freester

I apologise - we started this one a few weeks ago I've been meaning to post a WIP but just didn't get round to it...

My son received the Revell 1/72 Sea Vixen for Christmas. It's one of his favourite aircraft - we have fond memories of seeing XP924 / Foxy Lady at airshows down here in the south before her belly landing.

I've read up on the 'imperfections' of this kit. But for my son and me it resembles a Sea Vixen, so it's one for the stash and the collection.

The main aims of this kit (for me at least) were to channel my inner perfectionist and let my son do the lion's share of the build - with me assisting.

Obligatory box shot (sorry forgot to take a photo of the sprues).

IMG-20220103-173236498-HDR.jpg

My son then started wondering if it was possible if we could actually make XP924. The Revell kit supplies decals for 899 squadron. I then looked online and found some decals from the old Xtrakit box. Ordered and the arrived pretty promptly from Czechoslovakia...

IMG-20220113-223604551.jpg

In the meantime we made a start. Painting the parts for the cockpit. All OOB

IMG-20220103-162620224-HDR.jpg

Cockpit instrument decals were applied onto a few spots of Humbrol gloss and the cockpit assembled. 

IMG-20220113-190707831-HDR.jpg

IMG-20220113-192214027-HDR.jpg

Somewhere at this point I read online if a cockpit really is black don't paint it black. A bit late at that point. As @Harry_the_Spider said in his WIP - darker than the back of Satan's sock drawer in there - 🤣

It was a good start. And then today we noticed this as we cut the lower fuselage from the sprue... Initially I thought we must have broken something as we cut - but no that wierd bit on the RH undercarriage bay just looks like a bad part where the plastic didn't get to the edge of the mould...

IMG-20220115-173236554.jpg

Jr is a bit gutted. We've got plenty to be getting on with whilst we wait to see how this gets resolved. We can prepare the twin boom tail, the ordnance. Mask the canopy. Hopefully it will get sorted soon by the shop the kit was purchased from or Revell 🤞

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

I'd contact Revell directly, hopefully if you send them a photo they'll see it's a manufacturing error and send you a free replacement. I've never had to contact Revell but when I contacted Heller over some dodgy decals they sent me a replacement set.

• Like 1

Interestingly the retailer never got back to me but Revell replied very quickly. A replacement is on it's way all the way from Germany. Jr is chuffed with the good news. Plenty of things to be getting on with this kit and my other builds to keep us busy this weekend!

• Like 3

Plenty of excitement going on there, and by the sound of it more excitement once the new part or kit arrives. It'll feel like Christmas all over again 😃.

Recreating XP924 is going to be a fun thing to do. One of my few claims to fame is briefly talking to the pilot when the Sea Vixen was based at Bournemouth. He said if I gave him £8000 he would take me up for a half hour flight! - I staggered a bit, and said it was nice talking to him.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

The same side, is it battle damage?

now tell me you still have the upper from the first kit.

And a second kit now for junior to learn model fixing skills free of charge.

Good service from them but there is seriously something wrong in the kit making fraternity (Manu-factors branch)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, perdu said:

The same side, is it battle damage?

now tell me you still have the upper from the first kit.

And a second kit now for junior to learn model fixing skills free of charge.

Good service from them but there is seriously something wrong in the kit making fraternity (Manu-factors branch)

Not battle damage you can see the plastic didn't reach all parts of the mould.

They only replaced the part last time I've said I'd prefer a new kit this time in case there are any other problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@perdu

Sorry re-reading my reply it may have come across as a bit short not my intention in the slightest.

Battle damage lol. I wish. Not even transport damage. Different sprues.

This is the upper from the original kit. They just sent me one part last time. I have suggested they might want  to replace the kit this time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well  it was going well.

Nice start. he appears to be engrossed in his work/build.

:clap2:  :thumbsup:

now your young son will understand  the frustration  of being a plastic aircraft modeller with the ups and down you probably  had to go through in your modelling "career".

Best wishes ..hope you get it sorted!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freester said:

Sorry re-reading my reply it may have come across as a bit short not my intention in the slightest.

No dont worry, it didnt seem a bit short to me and my mind works (or probably not) in shorthand anyway, so my thoughts are often a kind of staccato random number generating thing.

As that was a replacement part no doubt they must try harder, something I hope you have emphasised.

Something is definitely wrong with modern injection moulding from what we read in here lately.

Hope you both get what you need but if you don't it is OK to consider repairing such parts with plastic card and Milliput.

Cheers

• Like 1