A10 Thunderbolt prototype.Pk121.XXXXFinishedXXXXX

Well done Steve 

I remember building this one as a nipper and was absolutely delighted how big it was, much bigger than the box it came in as I recall, when usually it was the opposite. 

Good luck with this one 

Cheers Pat 

Hi Steve,

If this is the kit I think it is - Gray prototype, then I remember building this and adding a Pave Penny pod and also "improving" the Vulcan cannon nose with a slice cut of another item which had the little "bumps" on the represent the individual barrels. I seem to  recall it looked quite good, though it went in the bin when I bought the Hasegawa version a few years later.

Pete

• Like 1

For some reason, I've always liked the contours of the wing tips on this kit. Of course, on the production aircraft, these were spoiled by a couple of fairings.

I had a mind to build this kit in ferry configuration, using a couple of spare external tanks from the Italeri kit. I have a photo somewhere of a prototype with just such a loadout. Maybe some other time.

• Like 1

Great to see this PK-121 Warthog kit being added and am delighted to say we are all making a significant dent into building Matchbox's entire and extensive back catalogue - well done everyone!

This is another one of those 'should I buy one because it's not been done yet' types of models, so I'm really glad to see it here as you have saved me quite a bit of money. No doubt I'll consider spending it on something else. Great call Steve! 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

Kit arrived safe and sound today.

20220121_193835

Simple enough kit and looks like by this period Matchbox were starting to refine their panel lines,a new seat will be essential

with that huge canopy.

20220121_194514

• Like 14

Have this in the stash and was going to build it but a quick scan showed the nose tip and cannon were missing from the sprue....I may have cannibalised it 25 years ago having misplaced one on a previous build...Two of the huge canopies though...

Good luck with the build...I will be following this.

• Like 1

I too came close to buying this kit and still might have an option to, but that over large canopy is something else isn’t it? A great start Steve, I’ll be watching on but please don’t make it look too good, my modelling funds are stating to dry up! 
Cheers.. Dave

• Haha 2

Hi foik's,well this took an unexpected turn,I had an hour to kill before our regular Sunday night movie so broke out the parts with the

intention of maybe getting the wings done an hour later here we are I have to say fit is spot on with just a little filler and sanding

when the time for priming is here,dug out a better seat from spares and there's a big old chunk of fishing weight in that nose!

20220123_202730

• Like 13

Actually looking at this photo I'm not sure the YA-10 Canopy wasn't bigger than later aircraft off the line I forgot I had photo's of my HB Thunderbolt in their easy kit range.

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/fairchild-republic-ya-10a-thunderbolt-ii/

20200912_205148

Found this interesting,maybe the Hog's not so ugly as it could have been!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQsnuM-lZKw

• Like 2

Afternoon all,gave the fans a paint and ran a black wash into them,I thouht as this is the prototype I would add the probe fitted

during early trials should make it just that bit different.

20220129_155226

• Like 10

folk's,I've decided after the snapped wing while decalling on the skyraider to add the engine pods last as they have a large

wrap round dacal,so out with the white paint.

20220130_101841

Thought as I'm using caulk as filler (so no sanding) I'd prime first to see which area's needed filling.As you can see not a lot was

needed so good is the fit of this kit.

20220130_095738

This morning after an overnight dry first coat of the finishing gray sprayed on,she'll look great in those hi-viz markings.

20220130_103222

• Like 6

Hi folk's,not the most pleasant of experiences doing the decals,age did weary then and the years condemed,horrible milky

mush meant each one had to be flipped over and a cotton bud used to clean then down but they're on at least I'll seal them

in with more gloss after they dry overnight.

20220131_195116

• Like 9

It's good to see this one coming together Steve. 

The A10 was the second Matchbox kit I ever built after the F4 and probably about the same time. A copy of Air International, June '79 was my reference for the build.

I wanted to do the lizzard scheme, but the Matchbox kit was a bit early for that one. I don't think there were accepted colours for that version at that time either. I ended up building it as the prototype and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. A few years later I did do a Tamiya 1.48 one in the sombre scheme. I enjoyed that one as well. Both models are very long gone. I could easily be tempted to do another Matchbox one...

Tony.

• Like 1

That looks superb Steve and in a strange kinda way I'm really liking these Matchbox mock-up / prototype / first production type kits, they all make a pleasant change from the usual mud- moving service colours we normally see. I'm suitably impressed with this and you may well have convinced me to purchase one.... Bad bad Steve!  

Cheers.. Dave  

• Haha 1