Zero colour Pearl Harbour - GREY\GREEN. Does this look OK ?

Hairtrigger

9 minutes ago, Hairtrigger said:

After thoughts\opinions please. 

Brush painted Humbrol 27 as base with Humbrol 90 and a dash of white Humbrol 33 ...

Cheers folks

DSC_2247

The greyish green is the base color but prior to the attack anti corrosion varnish was applied to the Zeros which gave them a yellowish tint. We know this because we have pieces of the aircraft shot down during the attack that were collected and kept in storage out of the sun so we know the color is accurate. Nick Millman has a site dedicated to Japanese WWII aircraft. The closest color to the actual Zero color that used to be available was the old Testors Model Master SAC Bomber Tan. I hope I didn't throw a monkey wrench into the works for you but this subject has produced many threads regarding Zero colors and Japanese WWII aircraft in general. I went through the same process trying to nail down the correct color, so if you want to produce an accurate color for the attack then you may have to look for a source. I'm only familiar with oil based enamels but perhaps Mig, AK or maybe even Tamiya may have the color but with Tamiya you pretty much have to mix and match. Good luck on your quest for the proper Zero color mate, it is an arduous journey many of have been on

Cheers

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Seawinder said:

To my eye that doesn't look very close -- much too neutral a gray. If you want a good visual reference to the color you're after, go here and look at the background color:

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/

Cheers.   I think it was better without the drop of white in the last coat on reflection...

1 hour ago, Hairtrigger said:

Cheers.   I think it was better without the drop of white in the last coat on reflection...

Try plugging R148 G143 B116 into a paint program and see what you come up with. Those are sRGB numbers calculated from the Munsell number of the Pearl Harbor-era Zero color Nick Millman describes in his "Painting the Early Zero Sen" PDF document...

Edited by Rolls-Royce
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

After thoughts\opinions please. 

Brush painted Humbrol 27 as base with Humbrol 90 and a dash of white Humbrol 33 ...

Cheers folks

DSC_2247

At least in my monitor looks closer to the Army Air Force colour #1 Hairyokushoku than the Navy Air Force "warm" J3 it should be. A rendering of this last colour can be seen in my avatar. How do I know is correct...? I stole it from Nick Millman's blog's background!

• Like 2

Personally I used Colourcoats 'Zero Grey-Green' / ACJ16 as this was produced in consultation with Nick Millman and generally regarded as being accurate. Of course a lighter shade will be needed for all the control surfaces.

Regards

Colin.

Edited by fishplanebeer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2022 at 3:02 PM, fubar57 said:

I guess I should have posted a photo

002-jpg.249294

Looks really good mate, nicely weathered too. Accurate colors will always be nearly impossible to duplicate and with sun fading and salt air effecting the finish you are as close as you or anybody else can get so be proud of your build. I would proudly put you Zero on my display shelf.

Cheers

• Like 1