Too poor to have an opinion?

lasermonkey

2 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I proceeded as ordered, sir!

I just ordered a Rolls Royce Armoured Car. (Maybe the start of a series????) and a Wasp Flamethrower Jeep. Definitely not aeroplanes!

Than your safe!:clap:

Cheers

Lazy modeler was here!

This is almost from the horses mouth so to speak about a widespread increase, many of you will have seen it already within Hannants emails but for those who don't receive it the message is get what you can whilst you are able too as all prices are on the up, not just Airfix

Message; Price increases. Everyday brings us emails with news of price increases. Over the past 10 years most price increases have been thru currency fluctuations but now with huge increases in transportation costs and dealing with all the new paperwork dozens of firms are having to increase prices. We only increase prices after we have received new stock at the new prices. In particular ICM have some very large increases. ICM48232 thru to ICM48251 which will increase from £32.80 to £49.80. The new Broncos increase by £10.00 and the new Bell AH-1Gby £12.00. Many other ranges are 10%. You will save money by ordering quickly.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You can afford what you can afford.  Growing up I wanted a GT XW HO.  Got offered one for $12000 - one owner, low miles, plastic on the seats and no seat belts (factory delete), had the cash and also a fiancé and a house to buy.  Back then my wife wasn’t included in any money stuff(banks figured she would get pregnant at some time and wouldn’t be able to work, etc).  Fast forward 34 years and I still can’t get it (now because it’s worth $500000+?).  
Comments about price (seriously, Airfix is so hard to justify buying when the quality you get from Eduard/Arma etc for less) is one thing - hey a $1300 1/32 Lanc is tempting, sorta - but I’m not gunna complain about the price.  It is what it is.  Either you can buy it or not.  I got the HK one for less than a fifth on that one. I’ll be happy with that. 
Everyone’s interest is different - I’ll pay for anything with RAAF in its DNA.  Within reason (see above lol).  My kids used their pocket money to buy IPhones, go to concerts etc - easily could have bought that Lanc.  But that’s not their interest.

when I retire, well, the stash will come in handy 😬. But I’m in for the long haul and will probably be working til I’m 70.  So I can keep adding to the stash!!  

23 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Almost everything in the UK hobby is imported. I believe that Games Workshop still manufacture in Nottingham though. Space Marines anyone?

Good luck with that, have you seen the latest prices?

15 minutes ago, sardaukar said:

Good luck with that, have you seen the latest prices?

Actually no. I dread to think what the RRPs are nowadays. They always seemed a lot to a person who expected a high parts count - me. But after painting a few sets of figures I realised how well the are designed for painting and gaming enthusiasts. I was only a painter, but the robustness of the finished models is surely an advantage to the gamer. For the novice painter - me again, they were a marvellous intro to figure painting with crisp moulding, no impossible to access areas, fantastic details well embossed and great for drybrushing and washes, the mainstays of the new painter.

Oops, I'm waffling on a bit, aren't I? Maybe that means I need to find some fantasy figures to paint. I've now moved away from GW to resin sculpts, on of which is on the table behind me...

In summary GW is expensive but I thought it was worth the cost especially if you can split the cost of a box set with a couple of mates. And it's BRITISH!! Support your local manufacturer!

3 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Actually no. I dread to think what the RRPs are nowadays. They always seemed a lot to a person who expected a high parts count - me. But after painting a few sets of figures I realised how well the are designed for painting and gaming enthusiasts. I was only a painter, but the robustness of the finished models is surely an advantage to the gamer. For the novice painter - me again, they were a marvellous intro to figure painting with crisp moulding, no impossible to access areas, fantastic details well embossed and great for drybrushing and washes, the mainstays of the new painter.

Oops, I'm waffling on a bit, aren't I? Maybe that means I need to find some fantasy figures to paint. I've now moved away from GW to resin sculpts, on of which is on the table behind me...

In summary GW is expensive but I thought it was worth the cost especially if you can split the cost of a box set with a couple of mates. And it's BRITISH!! Support your local manufacturer!

60 quid for a space marine landraider which is theoretically 1/56 scale armour or maybe not, scale has always been a bit vague. 

I love warhammer 40k, I was in high school when rogue trader (now 1st edition) came out. I lost that book at some point over the years (yes a woman was involved :)). I bought a reprint in Nottingham a few years back an re read it for about the first time in 20 years, just as good. I've kinda kept up with the lore at a high level over the years, not too happy with more recent changes but it has to be the most fleshed out sci-fi universe out there, yes even more so than star wars.

Yes it is expensive, but now I've thought about it if you are collecting for display maybe not any more than scale modelling. Its a related discipline that is worth a try. Only a space marine would think bright red armour was a good choice for the future battlefield and that is whole different shading, highlighting and weathering challenges although not as fun after you've painted 100 of them for your table top army battles..

On 1/24/2022 at 3:50 PM, Tojo72 said:

Happens all the time with many things,people used to go out to eat,now they cant,can't, fees and equipment have priced people out,going to the movies,many things.Its sad but reality

Things have been getting better for so long that we are all shocked when they start going downhill a bit. War, Pestilence, Famine and Death are back in the headlines.

Kipling wrote a poem about it Called The Gods of the Copybook Headings which refers to those four. I won't post all of it as it's rather long and you can look it up if you like, but it ends:

"As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn, The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!

Rudyard Kipling, the Soldier's Poet is well worth getting to know.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sardaukar said:

60 quid for a space marine landraider which is theoretically 1/56 scale armour or maybe not, scale has always been a bit vague. 

I love warhammer 40k, I was in high school when rogue trader (now 1st edition) came out. I lost that book at some point over the years (yes a woman was involved :)). I bought a reprint in Nottingham a few years back an re read it for about the first time in 20 years, just as good. I've kinda kept up with the lore at a high level over the years, not too happy with more recent changes but it has to be the most fleshed out sci-fi universe out there, yes even more so than star wars.

Yes it is expensive, but now I've thought about it if you are collecting for display maybe not any more than scale modelling. Its a related discipline that is worth a try. Only a space marine would think bright red armour was a good choice for the future battlefield and that is whole different shading, highlighting and weathering challenges although not as fun after you've painted 100 of them for your table top army battles..

Don't do armies, do the character figures, much more suitable for the display cabinet.

(And Richthoven went to war in red...)

On 1/24/2022 at 3:16 PM, Lazy Modeller said:

Anyway, people complain about the prices, but if I remember correctly in the 80s and around there the prices of the kits were really exorbitant considering the salary I received

I was 14 in 1984. I got my first paper round that year and got paid £4 for a seven day week. I think a small Heller kit was costing me around £1.99 back then, so that was half my income blown on one small kit. A bigger kit and all my money was gone, although I needed to keep some back for the odd bottle of Thunderbird and 10 JPS! Expensive, but happy days!

• Like 1

I am intrigued by the thread title - "Too poor to have an opinion?" - well, yes, if you are truly poor. However I doubt anyone posting here is truly poor!

https://wid.world/news-article/world-inequality-report-2022/

It's all about making choices of what to do with your excess money. We need input on this thread from economists and psychologists!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 27/01/2022 at 13:55, fightersweep said:

I was 14 in 1984. I got my first paper round that year and got paid £4 for a seven day week. I think a small Heller kit was costing me around £1.99 back then, so that was half my income blown on one small kit. A bigger kit and all my money was gone, although I needed to keep some back for the odd bottle of Thunderbird and 10 JPS! Expensive, but happy days!

Following many of the builds in the Matchbox anniversary GB and remembering paying 99p for some of those kits when that was a big chunk of my pocket money.