PK-302 Bugatti Type 59

Despite being an aircraft and ship builder with the occasional AFV, I thought I would chose the Bugatti, partly as it was yet to be picked on the list and as this Matchbox group build is pretty much a nostalgia trip for many, I thought as I had built this some 40 years ago as a kid, it ticked a few boxes.

Having received via a seller on that auction site the standard shots are as below:

spacer.png

Excellent Roy Huxley artwork with 79 pence price tag!

spacer.png

Decals appear ok.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Odd that the wheel spinners ( bottom left above)  were not on the chrome sprue.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Vinyl tyres and slightly yellowed transparencies.

I will probably strip the chrome off the majority of the parts but leave the wheels. I don’t intend to try and make this a totally accurate museum piece as that would take too much work and extra expense which I don’t really feel is necessary and IMO undermines the idea of it being a Matchbox kit build. @cmatthewbacon made a superb model from the basic kit some years ago which can be admired elsewhere on this site.

Like wagon wheels and mars bars;  the kit appears much smaller than I remember 😁

Mike

Edited by mick b
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• mick b changed the title to PK-302 Bugatti Type 59

Well done Mick, I try to avoid Wagon Wheels and Mars Bars these days however do share your analogy about things being smaller these days - like most of our shorts sizes! 

I'm honestly and pleasantly surprised how good some of these non aircraft sprues look. I am so used to your typical Matchbox aviation themed kits, however these cars and many AFV vehicles seem to offer more detail and finer approach to their kit design.  Of special note are those minute sprue gates, something that modern day manufacturers still struggle with. We look forward to following this lovely looking build. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mick b said:

Odd that the wheel spinners ( bottom left above)  were not on the chrome sprue.

Yes, it's the same with the MG.

It looks like you've picked up a very nice, original kit there Mick and I look forward to seeing how you get on with it.

Cheers

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

Yes, it's the same with the MG.

It looks like you've picked up a very nice, original kit there Mick and I look forward to seeing how you get on with it.

Cheers

Cheers Cliff, having done some internet image searching I have since discovered that the wheel spinners are mainly black with just the centre being chrome so I guess Matchbox found the same back in the day 😊

Mike

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Pat,

Apologies for the slow start but yes I have ....

Begun with removing the chrome off the majority of parts, used Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner, as recommended elsewhere, with satisfactory results:

spacer.png

As I said previously I’m leaving the wheels chromed, remarkable to see the remainder just wash off after a short soak.

The main engine block is now together and needs a degree of  filler on the front and back faces, plus a few of the main assemblies in progress.

spacer.png

Only learnt recently on here that the chrome removal reveals a varnish covering to the parts but this easily scrapes off or can be primed over. 

Mike

• Like 7

Great to see more progress on this Bugatti. The Mr Muscle treatment sure works well on those chrome parts and really brings out the crispness of Matchbox parts that we all love. Nice work. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike

Please accept my apologies for not having caught up with your build in a while, this GB is as you may have noticed a little busy and I have been trying to build something myself :surprised:

I know shocking but true !

Have you done any more since we last heard from you ?

Cheers Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Some slow progress as I said; engine together, wheels, front axle and lower body work, the latter with its first coat of internal black. Having removed the chrome, now painted dash and engine bay bulkhead aluminium 😁

spacer.png

Cheers for now

Mike

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

The slow progress continues but getting there...

Engine sprayed in Tamiya Bare Metal Silver and give a dark wash to pop out the little detail there is. The front suspension is complete, painted in Humbrol Antique Bronze and again given a dark wash to accentuate the springs etc. Dashboard sprayed and some details picked out, decal gauges added from the spares box to improve its appearance. Exhaust has had end drilled out and the seat and radiator sprayed in Tamiya NATO Black. Sink mark in rear view mirror housing has sink mark that has been filled and I have also filled those that can be seen at the back end behind the rear axle since this photo was taken. 

spacer.png

Cheers 

Mike

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Well I will probably end up on the naughty step for not finishing this in time, you would think six months would be enough wouldn’t you 😂

Any way as you can see the bodywork is taking shape and some deep gaps have been filled with a combination of Perfect Plastic Putty and Milliput. Virtually all the parts required have been removed from the sprues, cleaned up and painting of has begun. I tried a new tin of the Mr Color range of metallics for the radiator but it didn’t brush well; in hindsight I think it needs thinning first. I will get there eventually.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Dashboard in place, furnished with leftover dials from my Airfix 24th Typhoon 😊

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mick b
  • Like 1

Really starting to take shape now Mike.  I’ll get started on mine one of these days but I really need to finish all the other kits I’ve started with good intentions!

What colour will you be using for the main body?

I’ve found the Mr Color metallics - at least the chrome silver - needs thinning about 50/50 with their levelling thinner and a few drops of flow improver before brushing.  It does brush pretty well when thinned though.

I still struggle to get decent results brush painting with a lot of the Tamiya paints.  Doesn’t seem to matter what thinner and what ratio. Others have had better luck so I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. Both brands spray wonderfully though, and are very forgiving, thankfully, as I need a lot of forgiveness!

Looking forward to seeing this completed.  It’ll be a little cracker!

Hi Mike

We have a 2 week extension on this GB :like:

@Black Knightaka Fred and I our trying to finish our MGTCs, so you are very welcome to join the unofficial Matchbox Motoring self help group  :wink:

With any luck we can encourage each other to get them completed.  :fingerscrossed:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

I have a Bug as well.

If I get the finger out of the exhaust I just might be able to build mine before the GB ends

I used to have loads of 'walk around' type photos of various Bugs but they are all on old fashioned film, in storage somewhere

In my car club we had one 'Bugatti Blue', one very dark blue but the two which grated on the eye were the red one and the yellow one. We also had one white and one un-painted polished metal one.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BluesModeller said:

Really starting to take shape now Mike.  I’ll get started on mine one of these days but I really need to finish all the other kits I’ve started with good intentions!

What colour will you be using for the main body?

I’ve found the Mr Color metallics - at least the chrome silver - needs thinning about 50/50 with their levelling thinner and a few drops of flow improver before brushing.  It does brush pretty well when thinned though.

I still struggle to get decent results brush painting with a lot of the Tamiya paints.  Doesn’t seem to matter what thinner and what ratio. Others have had better luck so I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. Both brands spray wonderfully though, and are very forgiving, thankfully, as I need a lot of forgiveness!

Looking forward to seeing this completed.  It’ll be a little cracker!

Thanks for the kind words. 

With regards Tamiya acrylics I have found Mr Color Levelling Thinners works a treat as recommended elsewhere, probably more thinner than paint so numerous coats required but it doesn’t tear up as usual. I have painted the exhaust on this using thinned Tamiya dark iron with no issues.

I have an old tin of Humbrol Mediterranean Blue (?) which I think I used 40 years ago to do the original one. However I have also bought a Tamiya rattle can of French Blue which may prove easier? 

11 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Mike

We have a 2 week extension on this GB :like:

@Black Knightaka Fred and I our trying to finish our MGTCs, so you are very welcome to join the unofficial Matchbox Motoring self help group  :wink:

With any luck we can encourage each other to get them completed.  :fingerscrossed:

Cheers Pat 

Hi Pat

Good news and any therapy greatly received 😁

Mike

Edited by mick b
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mick b said:

Thanks for the kind words. 

With regards Tamiya acrylics I have found Mr Color Levelling Thinners works a treat as recommended elsewhere, probably more thinner than paint so numerous coats required but it doesn’t tear up as usual. I have painted the exhaust on this using thinned Tamiya dark iron with no issues.

I have an old tin of Humbrol Mediterranean Blue (?) which I think I used 40 years ago to do the original one. However I have also bought a Tamiya rattle can of French Blue which may prove easier? 

Hi Pat

Good news and any therapy greatly received 😁

Mike

Just used the Tamiya French Blue on a recent project.  Lovely paint. Dries very quick and smooth.

• Like 2