PK-031 P-40N ++Completed++

OK, one more just because I'm a big P-40 fan and this is the only one of my 4 entries I've never built before. It got a bit of a negative vibe when it came out at first but we'll see:

P401

John

• Like 11

Interesting that the artwork shows a drop tank, because the kit only came with a bomb. Anyway, I liked this kit. It may have been the first ever P-40 (Curtis Model 81 or 87 Hawk) I ever built, either that or the old Airfix Kittyhawk Ia*.

*Which Airfix erroneously insisted on referring to as a P-40, even though it was never issued in USAAF markings.

• Like 1

Well done John, another gap filed in the build list  :thumbsup:

Looks like it's about to attack an Emily flying boat in the box-art.

I've always found it strange that a kit manufacturer would choose to have a picture of another aircraft they don't make on the box cover ?

The other one that springs to mind is the Airfix Sunderland with the FW200 Condor in the background. 

Best of luck.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2

Yes... another gap filled with a kit not already nominated. Great call John, although I do share your sentiment that this P-40 was not the best example of this famous subject at its time of release. Still it's all Matchbox kit and you've got to love that Revell era box art with John Waddy's  famous mount. 

Cheers. welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 2

Let's have a wee look in the box:

P402

Neat. Only one colour of plastic, of course, as this is a Revell-era kit. 

Decals:

P403

A bit flash-struck but you can see this is a well printed sheet. I don't think I've ever built a NEI model, so that's the plan.

This kit came in for a bit of stick when it came out. The only other P-40N that was generally available at the time was the even then ancient Monogram kit, and this one must have been an improvement on that. I think the Hasegawa P-40E and P-40N came out at either the same time or shortly afterwards and they were very neat little kits, so the Matchbox kit may have suffered in comparison.

It's one of the few Purple range aircraft that didn't cross my bench back when they were released, so I'll be interested to see what I missed. I have plenty of P-40 spares so sourcing a drop tank shouldn't be a problem.

John

• Like 9

I like a P-40, it's one of my favourite WW2 types, possibly because of the old Airfix box art. 

I don't remember building the MB kit although I always liked the Burma Banshee markings from the original issues. 

Looking forward to seeing yours build up 🤓

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

I once had this kit, however my cousin had also just purchased the new Hasegawa P-40N and we both turned up our noses when we laid the Matchbox kits parts down on the kitchen table. For some reason it has this weird Criss-cross panel line effect that ruins the model, however these can all be sanded down and I’m sure a much better P-40 would be the result. That is a nice decal sheet John and although I’m naturally RAAF biased, the Dutch East Indies example is also close to my Pacific Theatre heart. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John

Please accept my sincere apologies for not having done the meet and greet with you earlier. 

Dave is so much better at this than me due to his Air Stewardess training in the past :plane:

Look forward to seeing this one progressing. 

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Threw some Humbrol 151 Interior Green at the innards a couple of nights ago:

P404

Hud me back - this kit has a control column! Is that unique for a Matchbox Purple Series aircraft kit? Can't think of another one.

John

• Like 6

1 hour ago, John said:

Hud me back - this kit has a control column! Is that unique for a Matchbox Purple Series aircraft kit? Can't think of another one.

John

The Henschel He 126 is similarly blessed! 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

It looks like one of these rare and scarcely documented navalized P-40s with folding wings...

Maybe I should get another kit and use some of my Sovereign Hobbies Sea Blue to do it as a whif.

I'd say the Corsair panels are not quite as bad but still pronounced and the Hellcat is the best of the ones I have on the bench just now.

John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A coat of matt black followed by a couple of thinned coats of 155 Olive Drab has killed a lot of the overstated surface detail:

P1030783

It's starting to look better than I expected.

John

• Like 4

Medium Green camouflage applied:

P408

I've no particularly clear idea of what colour Medium Green is meant to be so I used good old Humbrol 163 Dark Green, which has dried pretty glossy - better stirring needed next time. The model will be getting a coat of Matt Cote anyway.

The surface detail looks much better and I'm liking this kit more and more.

John

• Like 2

One of my acquisitions at Perth yesterday was a tin of Sovereign Hobbies Medium Green 42, which has now been painted over the Humbrol 163:

P409

Looks much better.

John

• Like 7

The Colourcoats colour looks much better John. I've a tin of Hu 30 that is a decent match for the Med Green 42 in the Monogram books, earmarked against the day I try some similar schemes.

Steve.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The fit of the canopy is really quite poor:

P4011

It really only fitted where it touched, so I ended up using a smear of superglue on the cills and pressing the clear part down as much as I dared. There were still some hefty gaps, which I've filled with PVA glue.

I remember years ago there being some chat that maybe the Matchbox moulds weren't entirely compatible with Revell's moulding contractor and there many be a bit of shrinkage, particularly in the transparent sprues. It's something I've come across now and again.

The canopy is masked with The Works masking fluid, which is a bit thinner than Maskol and quicker drying. A couple of coats usually does the job.

John

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly the pressure of other commitments means this won't be finished and photographed in time for the gallery closing tonight:

P4013

I'll complete it over the next couple of days and put the photos in this thread.

John

• Like 3