Pfalz friends - finished

AdrianMF

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Although I’ve cut out all the struts I strongly suspect that I will make new ones from plastic card or wire

I suspect you will too Adrian knowing the quality of your work.

That photo above looks like a still from an animation of the drawings coming to life as shapes....spooky. 👻

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It’s been ages (read, decades) since I attempted a vacuform kit. I’ve seen some well-made ones here, and have no doubt you’ll give us another good one. Maybe some day I’ll take up the challenge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think the struts in vacs are only there as templates for length so making new ones would be expected. That's certainly what I use them for.

Ian

On 24/05/2022 at 16:12, Brandy said:

I think the struts in vacs are only there as templates for length so making new ones would be expected

I guess so. It will be easier to cut, shape and fit the struts in card, and brass rod for the undercarriage

Tonight I knocked up a basic cockpit structure using the Wingnut Wings instructions for guidance:

F788-AF2-E-74-C5-4-A1-D-A77-D-7332-EE3-E

The kit seat is nice but fills the cockpit, so I made a smaller one. I will detail and paint it up tomorrow night, I hope. 

• Like 6

Right, trying a new control stick thinner than a telegraph pole:

BD4-EBBCD-D0-E9-4-FB3-AC6-F-54-D941568-D

Much better…

F6-AB6-BD7-FB98-4-B78-8-E6-B-8-D6-AA25-C

The wing roots are very thin so I’ve reinforced them with filler, and backfilled the one piece wheels too:

06-DA2090-33-CC-4485-B7-F0-9-CC19-A2-C7-

• Like 4

Just don’t ask me how long it took me to make that exhaust pipe:

9-F7-F4-DDD-4924-4-A86-8189-D8-A5-E217-A

The propeller support, in contrast, was easy. I have some thinner plastic tube that nests snugly inside the tube fitted in the fuselage, so I can trim this bit flush with the front and worry about the propeller much later.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Just don’t ask me how long it took me to make that exhaust pipe

Well can I ask how you made it??
Looks you made a sketch that’s on the LHS of the photo, but what materials did you use?

The sketch has the spacing of my cylinders, not the drawing’s. I started with some lengths of 30thou/0.75mm rod and put some bends in them with my thumbnail to line up with the sketch and end up parallel to each other sticking out to the side. I put them over the drawing and put a blob of plastic cement on where they all join up and went and did something else until it dried.

Came back, chopped them all off neatly and added a rectangle of plastic card, then covered the joined rods and card in thick superglue to blend it all together.

When that was dry I could cut and sand to the outside shape, hollow out the end a bit and drill and file the hole. Then I could tweak the inner ends to make the spacing right again and cut them all off in one go so they can all touch a cylinder.

I could have used stretched sprue but pre-bought rod is less of a faff.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 29/05/2022 at 18:26, AdrianMF said:

The sketch has the spacing of my cylinders, not the drawing’s.

Thanks for the detailed reply Adrian, smart work!
Apologies for having overlooked it all week…

Bravo your Pfalz Adrian, nice looking, you're right about those WnW instructions, very helpful on my SE.5.

Very timely your exhaust creation, I'm looking at a Tiggy converted to a movie Rumpler and will have to do the same exhaust, thanks !!

• Thanks 1

Today, we are mostly waiting for Milliput to dry:

90-E531-CD-53-DD-4-DA5-BA85-3-EFE42-F501

And building a jig for the wings, because the kit templates for the struts are nowhere close and I haven’t got enough hands to sort out my own!

[edit - 5 minutes later]

Doh! I built a jig for my D.XIII earlier in the thread and I only need to adjust about 2mm for the stagger:

6-AD21-F24-090-B-4971-A124-CA82693-C361-

I’d say that I love it when a plan comes together but in this case I don’t have a clue…

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

It may just be the angle of the pic, but the undersides of the upper wingtips look way too flat. They should be the seme aerofoil section as the rest of the wing.

Ian

I realised the Mk 1 jig would make it impossible to reach the cabane struts, which is where I wanted to start, and it fell apart when I tried to modify it. So, I present the Pfalz Jig Mk II:

0772-F7-CB-D054-4-A46-8-EE9-05-CBB8-C278

3 hours ago, Brandy said:

but the undersides of the upper wingtips look way too flat

Thanks for pointing it out Ian. I think it’s at least partly the angle and lighting. Here’s an end on pic, almost in focus!

CD1522-C1-554-D-4-DFA-8-EA5-E8-AD5750940

There are two things going on:

* the ailerons have a load of washout so the curve is being reflexed away towards the trailing edge and tip.

* I couldn’t take away quite as much as I would have liked because sanding the underside was nibbling away at the plan view, so I compromised at 1mm under span and a bit of a curve downwards at the tip.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 5

Struts indeed. I’m using 0.4mm Albion Alloys tube to provide positive location into holes half way through the wing and into the fuselage:

9100407-F-7120-478-C-A78-D-56155-FAB2-D8

When the connecting piece is dry I will clad the rest in plastic and sand it down. That’s the plan, anyway. Then I can search for the other four struts somewhere in carpet monster land before I find them by stepping on them…

• Like 6

I switched from the tube to 0.57mm diameter brass pins for the interplane struts. The D.III has pairs of struts joined together. This picture shows how the struts are made:

22-EB0-BF0-0-DEF-4-B4-E-9-ADD-E7-DA90638
When I got the tubes and pins in place, I filed two channels into a 1mm wide piece of 30 thou card and superglued that across the pins. When that was set I could remove them from the jig. I could then add cladding made from 1mm wide 30 thou card with a groove filed into it (file the groove, then cut to width!). Lashings of superglue over everything, which also made the radiused inside corners, then leave to dry and sand to shape.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I don’t want to tempt Fate (he’s a vengeful customer) but I think that’s the struts done:

B2072789-23-A6-42-A5-AD77-BC311654-B8-BD

One of the cabane struts is fouling some hidden detail in the fuselage but apart from that I think we’re done with them.

• Like 7

Not much progress today as I’ve just spent four hours having an MRI scan! However, I have reached the “make a list“ stage and I’ve started to work down it:

93-D96-AB4-7964-451-E-9-DEA-1-F662-C5-C0

F6-F836-E5-8359-4-E2-D-B953-B4420417-BCB
Due to a lack of the appropriate crosses, I’m going to combine the markings into the fabric decals an print them out.

• Like 4