Pfalz friends - finished

AdrianMF

I’m coming to the end of my long multi-SPAD build and have sworn never to touch a biplane again. So I ordered these two off EBay 🙄 the other day:

490-F392-E-C4-CF-4-ACB-A534-DE1-B2-FC3-E

The top one is a Hannants repop of the Rareplane D.III kit and looks very nice, and the bottom one is a German kit of the D.XII that I’ve never heard of before, which looks considerably less nice. Yes, There are perfectly good injection kits of both of them…

Last night I thought I’d clean up the D.XII to see if it was salvageable. Turns out it was, and is a really good match to the plans in my 1960 Harleyford book:

1-A3-E9510-B5-D3-4-F31-BB47-3-D84-DE90-E

And a question for the BM Massif, or at least those with relevant experience like Ian @Brandy or @stevehed: should I fill the undersides of the wings or just blend in the sanded edges into the undersurface?

• Like 16

I would just sand the undersides. That should give a good scale thickness but you will need to drill the edges and add brass rod for mounting - if it's not thick enough for that, add some milliput, but keep it to a minimum and add it nice and wet to help with keeping it thin and smooth.

The only time I have had to use it was on the FE8. Classic Planes are basic but pretty accurate, just make sure you remove all the little pips on the upper surfaces!

I'd also be very careful with using 1960's plans - remember that those are what Airfix used for their early biplanes, and they are horribly wrong!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I built a vac form DIII a very long time ago and just added rib detail to the undersides of the wings. If you think about it the vac form wing is probably about 1mm which would be a scale 72mm or ~3inches in old money so that would be pretty close to scale thickness. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Brandy said:

I'd also be very careful with using 1960's plans - remember that those are what Airfix used for their early biplanes, and they are horribly wrong!

The book is a year younger than me, and I haven't reached retirement! I've been using my Harleyford book to correct my WWI Airfix and Revell builds, and it was actually published after the first run of Airfix mouldings (although some of the plans had probably been kicking around in the Aeromodeller/Harborough vaults for a while before that) .

If there was a similar modern volume with a bunch of plans in it then maybe I'd consider modernising my library, but I can't justify buying expensive single-type monographs for WWI subjects.

Thanks gents for the advice about the wings. The plastic does seem to be 40thou, despite looking thinner to my worried eyes. I will do a bit more sanding and see what it looks like under a layer of paint.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Probably a bit late but I would probably do the same as Ian with the wings. I have one of these in the stash but it went back in the box when I built the Eastern Express kit instead. However, as an alternative I have cut the parts from the card and installed 10 thou card over the lower surfaces before filing the edges. In my case I then scored the ribs with a sharp craft knife. As Ian says sometimes you need a little thickness at the butt ends for guides.

3 hours ago, stevehed said:

do the same as Ian with the wings

Thanks Steve. I was a bit worried about sanding it all away to nothing at first, but once I bit the bullet it came out better than I feared:

A49745-D5-FFCB-46-FE-B143-DA4-C9-BFBE841

After years in someone else's storage, the plastic surface has turned yellow, making it easy to see what's sanded and what's not.

I get very nervous about over-sanding vac-form bits, except when I forget and end up having to glue bits of plastic back on!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 12

On 1/15/2022 at 2:53 PM, Marklo said:

Any pfalz excuse to post some photos, this is the only one in my collection…

Here is my pfalz excuse  to post a photo in Adrian’s thread, too:   A Roden 1/72 D-IIIa, in the markings of Hans-Georg von der Marwitz, Jasta 30.  His planes were described as being painted a “burgundy” color.  I offer it up as an easy-to-do scheme that is quite striking.

spacer.png

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, RC Boater Bill said:

I offer it up as an easy-to-do scheme

Don’t worry Bill, I’m going for a very-hard-to-do scheme on both of these.

Interior is now done, although I need to some work on the engine vents before I can close it up:

7-DA670-B4-9-E47-492-D-9-FDA-A91-EECF335

• Like 10

1 minute ago, AdrianMF said:

Glad to have you along Johnny. As you can tell from the picture of the kit/card, I won’t be using the struts.

Regards,

Adrian

Oh go on! Just to give us all a bit of a giggle. I can’t even see how they might even work. 🤣

47 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

is that a larger gauge lead wire

Thanks Chris, it’s some old solder. I have to confess this fuselage is a bit small for the technique, so a certain amount of “trim until it fits” was deployed…

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Oh go on! Just to give us all a bit of a giggle

Well, just to make a point, after some cutting and scraping…

DD15-FC5-E-C1-C7-4-C95-B798-16-F90-A155-

I won’t be doing that! It’s possible but very painful to cut them out and scrape it down to a uniform round section. The real thing was steel tube, so I will use one of the other materials in the picture.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

I can’t believe you cut those struts out. 😮 To be fair they don’t look bad but I think your choice to re make them out of rod will be the better option. Forgot to mention before how much I liked the painted interior. 🙌 she’s looking the part now she’s all lined up. 👏👏👏 

Johnny

Looking good. I really do like the DXII it was overshadowed by the Fokker DVII primarily because it was a double bay design and ground crews preferred the simpler arrangement in the Fokker.

If it weren’t for my GB commits and overly large wip I’d be whipping out my two Pfalzes right now. Ah well.