Tiger II (King) - Porsche turret - Zimmerit or not?

Matt P

Just about to start on the Hobbyboss 1/35 King Tiger with early Krupp/Porsche turret.  Looking at a variety of period photos it seems that not all had zimmerit applied, although they may just be poor photos of course.

Does anyone know if it was always applied to early Tiger II's or was there a big variation just like the camouflage colours?

Ta :)

Have a look through this....... https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/germany/panzer-vi_konigstiger.php

Also remember there were two types of barrels fitted, check photos for type.

'On porsche turret zimmerit is a must, while on the henschel it is not. If my memory serves me right, the Germans stopped using zimmerit by September 1944; if the KT (Henschel) you want to make is supposed to be made after said date, then you could opt not to apply zimmerit.'

• Thanks 1

V1 and V2 prototypes did not have zimmerit.  V2 is the Bovington survivor and is quite well photographed at the time and since.  The build period for the first 50 KTs with the Porsche-designed turret suggests that all the production vehicles would have had zimmerit.  How many had the monobloc Elefant-style gun barrel rather than the later 2-piece stepped barrel I do not know,  I do know that the monobloc barrel on V2 is not original, but may be correct.

• Thanks 1