Hawker Hunter FGA9 - ladder added plus photos

CJP

Hi all - I had this kit in my stash for some time  but when I saw Simon Dyer's build in 79 Squadron markings I was inspired to get it built - I always wanted to  finish it in the 79 Squadron scheme & had  the same decal sheet for XG228 - I did some research on the  internet and found some colour photos of these aircraft at RAF Brawdy & with a bit of fiddling with decaI sheets was able to turn it out as XG160 tail number 22 - a bit of a nostalgia trip as our family lived in nearby Solva when my dad was posted as a CPO to Brawdy in the late 1950's -  it was in the Navy's hands as the FAA's base for Hawker Seahawk fighters back  then & very interesting for young boys.

The model is basically from the box apart from the True Details resin cockpit set which after some minor fettling fitted remarkably well.

I borrowed David Mooney's idea of using 2mm x 1mm micro magnets to attach the outer pylon stores so I can alternate the fuel tanks or rocket pods if I ever get the urge - this is his F4D link

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235100540-132-f-4d-spook-on-a-spook/#comment-4225499

The Revell kit decals were  showing their age and the yellow stencil were translucent when applied but I found an alternatIve set of 1/32  Hawker Hunter stencils made by DEKL'S in South Australia and these went on quite well.

IMG-2449.jpg

IMG-2450.jpg

IMG-2442.jpg

IMG-2455.jpg

IMG-2457.jpg

IMG-2463.jpg

IMG-2456.jpg

IMG-2465.jpg

I tried but could not get a good result dry brushing the moulded on instrument dials so replaced them with AirScale decals

IMG-2199.jpg

The green hose on the Ejection Seat is a bit of guitar string

IMG-2403.jpgIMG-2402.jpg

I only did some light smearing on the belly with Tamiya weathering colour and highlighted some panel line with a sharp 2H pencil

IMG-2471.jpg

IMG-2469.jpg

CJP

Edited by CJP
edited photos & text
  • Like 52
  • Thanks 2

Very nice............brought back happy memories too. My first tour was at RAF St Athan and the Hunters from Brawdy regularly performed 'Touch n' Gos' in between Buccaneer, Phantom and Canberra Air Tests...those were the days !.

Well Done, Sir !

• Thanks 1

• CJP changed the title to Hawker Hunter FGA9
16 minutes ago, F-32 said:

Beautiful build, I've got one in the stash that I might just have to investigate now!

On 1/15/2022 at 7:47 PM, gingerbob said:

That does it- I guess I'm going to have to go liberate one of my Revell Hunters from the stack they're in- bottom, naturally.

Hi F32 & gingerbob - Liberate  your Hunters from your stashes as it really is a nice kit to build and captures the Hunters lines nicely.

The only fiddly bit for me was joining the front to rear fuselage and then wings - I did not notice the don't glue icon as in the following picture from the instructions & glued the intakes into the fuselage slot thus creating an issue for myself fitting the wings in.

I managed eventually after a bit of bodging - avoidable had I read the instructions properly!

IMG-2478.jpg

CJP

On 1/15/2022 at 7:25 AM, CJP said:

Hi all - I had this kit in my stash for some time  but when I saw Simon Dyer's build in 79 Squadron markings I was inspired to get it built - I always wanted to  finish it in the 79 Squadron scheme & had  the same decal sheet for XG228 - I did some research on the  internet and found some colour photos of these aircraft at RAF Brawdy & with a bit of fiddling with decaI sheets was able to turn it out as XG160 tail number 22 - a bit of a nostalgia trip as our family lived in nearby Solva when my dad was posted as a CPO to Brawdy in the late 1950's -  it was in the Navy's hands as the FAA's base for Hawker Seahawk fighters back  then & very interesting for young boys.

The model is basically from the box apart from the True Details resin cockpit set which after some minor fettling fitted remarkably well.

I borrowed David Mooney's idea of using 2mm x 1mm micro magnets to attach the outer pylon stores so I can alternate the fuel tanks or rocket pods if I ever get the urge - this is his F4D link

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235100540-132-f-4d-spook-on-a-spook/#comment-4225499

The Revell kit decals were  showing their age and the yellow stencil were translucent when applied but I found an alternatIve set of 1/32  Hawker Hunter stencils made by DEKL'S in South Australia and these went on quite well.

IMG-2449.jpg

IMG-2450.jpg

IMG-2442.jpg

IMG-2455.jpg

IMG-2457.jpg

IMG-2463.jpg

IMG-2456.jpg

IMG-2465.jpg

I tried but could not get a good result dry brushing the moulded on instrument dials so replaced them with AirScale decals

IMG-2199.jpg

The green hose on the Ejection Seat is a bit of guitar string

IMG-2403.jpgIMG-2402.jpg

I only did some light smearing on the belly with Tamiya weathering colour and highlighted some panel line with a sharp 2H pencil

IMG-2471.jpg

IMG-2469.jpg

CJP

Hi Chris

Im sorry that I have not replied sooner. I have been off long term sick for roughly three years now.  Still not 100% but recently got a job as a support worker/carer.  Although part time it has taken up most of my time with very little Im able to do modelling etc..

Chris your Hunter is superb, a really great build and looks the part, how I used to remember them, far better than mine.

All the aircraft were obviously different and I seem to remember that 21, 22, 23 were a bit of a so and so, the odd ones. Think it was because they were older.

I love the idea of the magnets for the outer pylons. 90% of the time it was only the 230gal drop tanks on the inner pylons. Occasionally the MATRA Sneb rockets and on really rare occasions the 100gal tanks.  In fact the only time I remember them being used was on a detachment to RAF Leuchars in Scotland.

Wonderful build Chris and thanks for sharing it.

Take care 

Si

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Simon Dyer said:

Hi Chris

Im sorry that I have not replied sooner. I have been off long term sick for roughly three years now.  Still not 100% but recently got a job as a support worker/carer.  Although part time it has taken up most of my time with very little Im able to do modelling etc..

Chris your Hunter is superb, a really great build and looks the part, how I used to remember them, far better than mine.

All the aircraft were obviously different and I seem to remember that 21, 22, 23 were a bit of a so and so, the odd ones. Think it was because they were older.

I love the idea of the magnets for the outer pylons. 90% of the time it was only the 230gal drop tanks on the inner pylons. Occasionally the MATRA Sneb rockets and on really rare occasions the 100gal tanks.  In fact the only time I remember them being used was on a detachment to RAF Leuchars in Scotland.

Wonderful build Chris and thanks for sharing it.

Take care 

Si

Thanks Simon. when I saw your Hunter model I was so impressed with the look of an aircraft that had been worked hard for all those years that I went straight to the stash and started organising my build - it was helped greatly by the information/photos you provided me and those little on the job stories of yours which are quite entertaining.

I would have liked to make it look a bit more weathered but was reluctant to mess up what I had done. 

Sorry to hear you've been crook for three years and hope things are on the improve now and you find time for modelling.

Chris

Hi all - I decided my Hunter needed a boarding ladder & my only option was to scratch build one - I asked on Cold War if anyone could provide me some dimensions and aerotechi came to the rescue kindly providing me a sketch with main measurements of a Hunter ladder.

I then made up a my own ladder drawing to 1/32 scale and built the ladder from Evergreen plastic strip stock.

IMG-2482.jpgIMG-2500.jpg

IMG-2505.jpg

CJP

• Like 2

• CJP changed the title to Hawker Hunter FGA9 - ladder added plus photos